Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:07 pm

I’m delighted AmyW. I think it’s one of those ones that is greater than the sum of its parts. It’s a good one for the repertoire.

Along similar(greater than the sum) lines, I cooked a thing that OH has been meaning to make for the past few evenings but has been slammed at work - fresh linguine with prawns, harissa,tender stem and cherry toms with lemon zest. I’ve probably mentioned but we only made it this evening. Really very nice

Postby Wic » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:48 am

Glut cookery! Our tomatoes have suddenly woken up and are turning red as you watch, so I made a tomato tart. Puff pastry, torn up mozzarella, sliced tomatoes and a few olives and onions. It was lovely.

It’s one of those things I tend to make a couple of times and then forget completely for ages. I don’t know whether it’s just me, but old favourites sometimes just fall off the menu, as if they’d never existed.

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 am

OH made lunch yesterday ... he made a salad, he said be based it a bit along the lines of a Waldorf, but he used Little Gem lettuce as a base, then chopped apples, celery, grapes and walnuts in a mayo dressing loosened with yoghurt and a dash of lemon juice, and topped with chunks of a mild feta ... it was very delicious.

Supper was lovely thick pork chops on the bone (local onesfrom the butchery at the farm shop down the road), seared on the cast iron griddle then put into a hot oven (the rind turned into lovely crunchy crackling) ... we had them with new Charlotte potatoes and braised summer cabbage, and lots of wholegrain mustard.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:45 pm

I made this last night
https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/f ... ean-curry/
Very bland.

Any suggestions to improve it are welcome.

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm

interesting.
were the green chillies quite mild rather than 'pokey'?
the spice ingredients look like they should be enough for the recipe. how old are your spices?
i would have put a little salt in.

in future serve it as a side with some spicier dishes?

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:54 pm

Spices are all ok.
Maybe the coconut milk subdued it too much for my taste.

I might fry up a blob of Thai paste or harissa and stir it through.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:08 pm

The problem with all these Kerala veg curries is that they aren’t served in Kerala as described, as a main dish with rice and poppadoms - there’s a very good recipe on the BBC site for Rick Stein’s Thoran described the same way, which is plain wrong

These are basically veg side dishes, they would never be served alone, even if the meal was all vegetable dishes there would be 3 or more and at least one would be hot and sour and this would balance it; you also get chutney and often sambhar a searingly hot very thin dal served as gravy

I do think it should have more chilli though!

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:22 pm

Good points, Scully and Sue.
Thanks for those.

I'm home now and have tasted it cold.
It has matured but is still a bit too gentle, even though the beans and potatoes are super fresh from the garden.

I have a jar of red Thai paste so I think I will cook that with some more onion and stir it through.

That will be tomorrow, so I will report back.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:03 am

Yesterday's supper was home-made Scotch eggs ... I made them in the morning and baked them in the oven after the bread. I think they were the best ones I've made in a long time ... I used sausages from the butcher at the farm shop we've recently started to use ... very good flavour and high meat content ... and coated them with stale breadcrumbs from the Cottage Milk Loaf I made the other day ... definitely a big success. We ate them with new potatoes and a salad of Little Gem, beetroot and homegrown Sungold tomatoes.

Postby Kacey » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:36 am

Had a head of radicchio to use up so had this last night https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/n ... d-rosemary

For the pesto I didn't have fresh oregano so used basil, didn't have an orange so used lemon, and cut the amount of oil to about 30ml and added a slosh of water. It was delicious, even with my tweaks.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 pm

That looks lovely Kacey. And Suffs - YUM! I've never attempted a scotch egg.

OH is full of cold, having caught it from me but of course his is MUCH worse :D

So we a spicy Thai curry last night. And he wants something simple this evening. I have a small gammon so I think we'll have 'ham', egg and chips - and peas for greenery. I bought chardonnay rather than sauvignon blanc which is a huge disappointment!

Postby Amyw » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:56 pm

Kacey thanks for posting that recipe , it looks amazing . It seems really well balanced which is definitely what you need for something like radicchio

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 pm

I have a jar of red Thai paste so I think I will cook that with some more onion and stir it through.

I chopped an onion then blitzed it to a purée, then fried the purée with a couple of spoonsful of Thai red paste.
Stirred it through the pot then let it sit for the afternoon.

I served it with rice tonight, it still needed salt and pepper but it tasted much better.
Don't think I will make it again though.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:15 am

Yesterday's supper was a very easy one for the cook ... fillets of breaded cod baked in the oven with oven chips and frozen peas. The dishwasher appreciated an easy night too.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:11 pm

One of our favourites on a "can't be bothered" night.
Always hits the spot.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:47 pm

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/f ... ean-curry/
Very bland.

My only comment is that there´s no salt in the recipe.
Definitely more green chiles - the coconut milk dumbs down the heat.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:32 pm

Oh I do love a homemade Scotch egg, I keep meaning to try them in the air fryer :yum .
Breaded cod or haddock from the freezer with a baked spud and peas is my usual Friday night meal.
Not much cooking over the past few days - I was out for dinner at the local pub on Thursday, above breaded haddock last night and tonight it's simple oven tray bake of jerk spiced sliced pork belly, sweet potatoes, peppers and flat mushrooms.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:55 pm

My only comment is that there´s no salt in the recipe.

Exactly what I thought.
It reads well but is a bit of a let down.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:48 am

karadekoolaid wrote:My only comment is that there´s no salt in the recipe.

exactly my thoughts, too.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:40 am

Really like the look of the radicchio pasta, Kacey. Did you use thick balsamic vinegar or add honey to regular and how does the sweetness turn out?

Re the WW Kerala runner bean curry - I find that coconut milk in large amounts changes the whole chili and spice effect in a dish - not sure I'd call it dumbing down. It absorbs and mute spices makes them lose their kick. But also what is going on is that the thick coconut oil/fat forms a barrier and carries them out of the mouth.

Stokey is right about serving veg side dishes along with searingly hot dishes and sauces - a coconut milk dish like this is deliberately 'bland' and would actually temper super hot dishes when your mouth is on fire.
Last edited by ZeroCook on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox