Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:52 pm

Although I am happy shopping for food and cooking, I do hate recipes that have about 20 ingredients. Alright, some of them I already have. Sainsbury's magazine recipes used to have a lot of ingredients, obviously wanting us to spend more in the supermarket. I haven't bought that magazine or any food magazine in ages.

Postby dennispc » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:44 am

:D Good morning Jeral, I hope you don’t find the photo too healthy! It’s yesterday’s lunch; OH’s potato salad with spring onion, herbs and dressing, a pot with a few olives, OH’s tomato, I have the cherry one’s at the end, egg mayo, pasta bought salad, red pepper, romaine lettuce poking out, packs of salad leaves and wholemeal, for me a slice with marmite.

salad.jpg
salad.jpg (201.11 KiB) Viewed 4484 times

Postby Sloe-Gin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:56 pm

For some such reason, I chat in the Wildies thread, but forget about this one. However, it's nice to catch up with folk who don't chat on the other one. Love your photos Renee.

Postby dennispc » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:08 am

I see I’m in good company - Delia's giving up cooking now she’s 80. Hubby’s taking over.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:21 pm

Delia, 80? Surely not....
But true

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:00 am

Thank you for your kind comments about my photos Sloe-Gin.

Yes, Delia's book was the one that I followed when the children were small. I can remember when she introduced us to sun-dried tomatoes and other new ingredients. Supermarkets quickly sold out and she was asked to forewarn them when she introduced anything new!
Last edited by Renee on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:07 am

Oh Em, what a job!!!

I remember my friend Hal and his sailing friend Eddie volunteering to make butternut squash soup for 70 members of their sailing club in Florida! He still remembers it to this day. Preparing one butternut squash is bad enough!

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:27 pm

i used to make soup for the our surf life saving club when there were sea events on as i was the one with a massive saucepan. i gave it away after a few years of that, solitary, chore. i still have the ladle that holds a pint - although it's been a bit of unused 'kitchenalia' since.

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:36 pm

dennispc wrote::D Good morning Jeral, I hope you don’t find the photo too healthy! ...[clip]...
salad.jpg

Sorry for extended delay in replying. My limited brainpower is having to be on other things and will have to be for a while, so I won't be able to stop by much and it'll have to be hit and run posts for now.

As to your salad photo, dennispc, now that's exactly what I meant! :D Far too healthy! Casually ignoring that I'd be first in the queue needless to say with "a plate 'n' a poon" (Goons?). There ought still to be a few more decent salad food days yet before hibernation duvets take over. I'm making a fresh salad tonight :) which might or might not include tinned tuna depending on whether the ringpull plays nicely. I've hard-boiled a couple of eggs and made the croutons so who needs ringpulls anyway? ;)

Postby dennispc » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:17 am

Thanks Jeral, I wish you well.

Ringpulls, which is why I keep pliers in the kitchen drawer. Now our oat milk carton has them! I pulled hard, eventually came away - to every force there's an equal and opposite force - what a mess!!!! :evil:

Take care, see you soon.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 am

20210810_145609_resized.jpg
20210810_145609_resized.jpg (104.47 KiB) Viewed 3942 times

I recently mentioned on another thread that I'd invested in a ring pull opening gadget. I'm very pleased with it and can now open tins of tuna without wondering if I'll succeed.

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:50 pm

I've recently had 2 occasions where a plastic ring pull has failed and I've just pulled the ring itself off but left the covering on. What a nightmare to try to open them without dislodging the rest of the top!

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:17 am

Thanks all re ringpulls info. I do have a gadget that works perfectly well, also I do have adjustable pliers which spend more time in the kitchen than the tool box ;)

The trouble with the small-depth tuna and pate tins is that they are so small that you can't get a grip of the tin, as dennispc says, sufficient to counter the momentum force needed to pull the ring. It's chicken and egg, I mean you can't hold the tin down over the lid as it's the lid you're trying to pull off.

Has anyone tried a small battery tin opener that you sit on top and theoretically does the job at the press of a button? (I.e. ignoring the ringpull.) Thanks.

Also, thanks dennispc for well wishes. There's been a family bereavement plus I'd just signed up to move. Moving is something I haven't done for two decades so I just want to click my heels twice and find I'm not in Kansas by magic.

After the moth invasion nightmare starting about five years ago that I've never got rid of as they just pop up again, the last thing I want to do is take them with me. The only thing I can think of is to transfer stuff to self-storage, but I don't run a car now and I doubt storage places are equipped for filling buckets of hot water for cleaning everything in situ there. It's like Do not Pass Go for the planning. Hence I'm now taking two hours me-time off to come on here and catch up on some more interesting posts :)

Postby dennispc » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:30 pm

For metal cans, if the ring pull doesn't pull we have this.

opener 2.jpg
opener 2.jpg (89.25 KiB) Viewed 3830 times

not much good for the milk carton though.
Attachments
opener 1.jpg
opener 1.jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 3830 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:37 pm

I can't get a standard tin opener to work on modern tuna cans and of course, nowadays the bottom end is rounded. I find with my new gadget that I don't have to grip very hard - that was the problem with trying to open ring pulls without a gadget. I can see that if my grip was worse it could be difficult.

As for plastic ring pulls on oil or sauce bottles, once the loop has broken - as it inevitably does, I hack the middle with a sharp bladed knife :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby Kacey » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:25 pm

This is what I use for ring pulls https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-Ring-Pu ... 54&sr=1-10 and for those fiddly plastic loops, I put a spoon handle through them first, makes it less likely to snap off one side

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:51 pm

i think the cans, cartons and bottles that i buy must be more upmarket than all of yours (hahahahaha) as i rarely have broken/difficult ones.
the ring pull gadget would be a waste of space in the draw.
it will now happen that the next tin etc that i have to open will need more than an index finger!

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks dennispc, I've seen those but the reviews when I looked weren't good. It's time to bite the bullet and try one for myself if you're happy with yours.

Earthmaiden, the plastic bottle pulls are a job for my adjustable pliers (I think it's an adjustable wrench actually), this one, which has five positions:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtech-W5100-H ... 9288&psc=1
I just lift the pull a bit so the bottle works as a drizzler; which is great for oil or other condiments - and milk/juice cartons - unless disastrous when someone else has kindly taken the pull off for me and I unknowingly upend the bottle, whoops.

Thanks Kacey, that's the one I have which is perfectly fine except for the shallow tins. I'll have to see if such tins fit into the jaws of my benchtop vice, refusing to be beaten by the darn things! :)

scullion, you'll have people kidnapping you now, not for your mobile fingerprint, but your whole index finger :shock:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:38 pm

jeral - good idea. I keep a pair of pliers in my handbag for various things - like pulling on tight boots and getting stuck credit cards out of tight purse pockets! I would probably be arrested for carrying a dangerous weapon if caught.

I use a spoon for the plastic loop rings but they just stretch until they break :evil:. scully, you must have good gripping power - after trigger thumbs on both sides I haven't. I haven't seen loops on juice/milk - (I don't buy a lot of either) I hope I never do!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:53 pm

Does it work on corned beef tins, when you buy the only one in the shop without its bl**ted key?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox