Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby aero280 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:16 pm

I have travelled in a Rolls Royce!! :) I was helping my friend fix his car. We needed some parts, so we took his father's Rolls to get them. Unfortunately, he managed to have an accident on the journey... :o Fortunately not too seriously.

His father wasn't rolling in money. He had retired an sold a hotel that he owned in the Lake District. He bought a secondhand Rolls and a Mews property in London.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:21 pm

I've never been in a Rolls, a stretch limo or anything nice like a Bentley ( I do like them). I did once go in one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Princess. When I was at boarding school (where the family car for some was a Rolls!), I was allowed out with a friend and her grown up sister one weekend. Sister's boyfriend must have been a chauffeur or the son of a rich man as they turned up in the Princess and we spent the afternoon driving round Surrey in it. It seemed terribly luxurious and had a drinks cabinet which impressed us somewhat.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:01 am

My ex and I were taken for a ride in a Rolls once. We were having a meal in Thornton Heath and there was a chap at the table next to us on his own. We got talking and it seemed he was to be picking George Michael up from Heathrow. He had quite a bit of time before he was due at the airport so asked if we wanted to go for a drive - after some to-ing and fro-ing, we said yes and went outside with him to be met by the Rolls! It was a fabulous car and obviously set up for star service. We had a wonderful drive and were dropped off at home at the end. A lovely car!

Postby Rainbow » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:26 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I don’t think I have travelled in a Rolls Royce either, or a Bentley come to that

When I was a child my great uncle and aunt had a Bentley and we were driven in that a few times - I was very impressed :)
They were definitely a class (or two) above us :lol: and very wealthy, as I remember.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 am

When my girls were teenagers it was quite the thing for they and their friends to hire a stretch limo for a Friday night. They'd pile in, drink Lambrini or an equivalent and be driven round all the tourists spots in London. :lol: I havent seen a stretch limo in ages. I wonder if Covid has done for them. Wouldn't be much Social Distancing there.

What make of car are hearses? I've been in a few of them.

Postby aero280 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:56 am

I meet up once a month with some old school friends in London. So fairly late in the evening I would be walking back to the tube in the West End. One night a stretch limo came by. From the decoration, it seemed that a hen party was in progress. The limo had a back end like pick-up truck. This had a jacuzzi in it, and that was full of topless ladies!! :o

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:12 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:17 am

Cars are so versatile aren't they? :lol: :lol:
There's a man who runs a stretch limo business near here. He lives in a well-heeled cul de sac and leaves the limo parked outside a lot - not sure what the neighbours think. He hasn't got rid of it yet so presumably hopes business will pick up!

Postby Seatallan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:18 pm

aero280 wrote:I meet up once a month with some old school friends in London. So fairly late in the evening I would be walking back to the tube in the West End. One night a stretch limo came by. From the decoration, it seemed that a hen party was in progress. The limo had a back end like pick-up truck. This had a jacuzzi in it, and that was full of topless ladies!! :o

Love it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talking of weird hen party contraptions, have you ever come across one of these? (see link below). My BF says there were loads of them in Belfast when she and her husband were there last weekend. I'd never heard of them but evidently they're all the rage.

https://discovernorthernireland.com/thi ... rs-p710951
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Meganthemog » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:25 pm

Seatallan wrote:
aero280 wrote:I meet up once a month with some old school friends in London. So fairly late in the evening I would be walking back to the tube in the West End. One night a stretch limo came by. From the decoration, it seemed that a hen party was in progress. The limo had a back end like pick-up truck. This had a jacuzzi in it, and that was full of topless ladies!! :o

Love it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talking of weird hen party contraptions, have you ever come across one of these? (see link below). My BF says there were loads of them in Belfast when she and her husband were there last weekend. I'd never heard of them but evidently they're all the rage.

https://discovernorthernireland.com/thi ... rs-p710951

They look like a recipe for disaster!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:55 pm

I think some of the South Coast holiday camps used to have them, mainly 4 seaters for families but some bigger ones

They were a bit of a menace on the narrow lanes of Hayling Island

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:06 pm

Yes Butlins Ayr had them (without bar!) when I worked there in 1982 & 83. It was quite a hilly site and you'd often see ground staff pushing them when families didn't have quite enough pedal power to get up the bigger hill back to the main camp area. :lol:
Liverpool has them too I think.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:21 pm

Social Cycles were the four seaters.I seem to remember they didn’t have brakes.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 pm

These are the only ones I remember - all the local holiday camps near us had them, sometimes 4 seaters - I always longed to go on one but never did. The bar looks a bit of an upgrade!

Caister camp.jpg
Caister camp.jpg (255.29 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:40 pm

They had those EM, very popular with the teens plus lots of family fours (2 front and back) as well as few that were much more like the ones Sea linked to. On Saturdays and Tuesdays when folk arrived there was always a huge queue to book them as there were never enough to meet demand so regulars knew to get in fast! I worked in "Allocations" which was mainly accommodation and food bookings but also used to have to do the odd stint with booking those. It was horrible if the queue was bigger than availability for the week as families were so disappointed. Despite the fact the camp was very much past it's heyday, very rundown in places and still operating on a model that was very old fashioned it was great place to work as the majority of the visitors had a great time. Can't say I loved every moment, picking up lice from a lost and very manky child was definitely a low point, but many more happy memories than sad and a great introduction to the proper world of work.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:35 pm

We were easily entertained in those days weren’t we? :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:06 pm

I was in one of these the weekend before last - not so different really :lol: :lol:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPho ... gland.html

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:00 am

I have a memory that some of the Warner's family cycles has a sort of awning, like a pony trap

I worked at Warner's summer of '73, making sandwiches

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:57 am

A few years ago I went to stay with my best friend and her bro while they were on holiday in the Rye area. Because of OH’s deteriorating health I only went for a couple of days. The journey included a road that went past Pontin’s at Camber Sands and it was a changeover day. There was a long queue of people at the bus stop, many with old handheld suitcases. Hi De Hi. It was like going back fifty years. My parents were far too snobby to take us to a holiday camp mind.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:58 am

Gosh, I don't remember them at all despite many childhood holidays at Butlins. How I adored Butlins. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox