Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:24 am

Seatallan wrote:Gosh, I don't remember them at all despite many childhood holidays at Butlins. How I adored Butlins. :thumbsup

I think they only had them at locations where the surrounding roads were suitable

Pepper Pig wrote:There was a long queue of people at the bus stop, many with old handheld suitcases. Hi De Hi. It was like going back fifty years. My parents were far too snobby to take us to a holiday camp mind.

That’s a sea change, the qualifier is now “hand held” not wheeled. A little social marker

We lived very near the different Warner’s camps on Hayling, which were favoured by people from Birmingham and West Midlands, hence my regarding a shade of red as “Birmingham tan”. My parents wouldn’t have gone to them for holidays either, but they were a good source of holiday jobs and the most upmarket one, Sinah Warren, had a rather nice Tiki bar where they sometimes attended functions off season. The food was surprisingly good

Postby liketocook » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:46 am

Lol Sue bright pink round here is often referred to as "Fair tan" a legacy no doubt from when folk used to head to the Ayrshire coast for the Glasgow Fair fortnight.
No holiday camps for us as kids though plenty of caravan holidays to small sites. My Dad wasn't big on noise and biz so wouldn't entertain the notion of anything else. They were good holidays though.
Butlins in Ayr was a massive site and there were no cars allowed apart from in two massive car parks on the perimeter. They had their own bus service that used to ferry staff and customers back and forward to Ayr and there was a couple of mini buses that ran back and forward between the car parks and the site. It was a good cheap holiday for folk and it always felt like a safe place for kids to have quite a lot of freedom even if the activities were pretty unchanged from when it was in it's hey day. Folk knew exactly what they were getting for their money and if full board could basically spend the entire time on the camp and not spend anything else apart from a few pounds on ice cream etc. The food was okay very much canteen catering/school dinners but there was plenty of it and considering the scale pretty well cooked.

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:22 pm

We went to Butlins at Pwhelli when I was five and my sister a babe in arms. I absolutely loved it, I had a fairly quiet rural upbringing and a week at Butlins was a revelation.

I remember roller skating, the pools, the children’s entertainer who had a rabbit puppet in a big top hat, the chair lift and the pinnacle of excitement………… orange juice delivered in small glass bottles with your milk to your chalet doorstep. It was our first holiday, and it was the first time that I went off and did things without my parents.

It’s amazing what sticks in your mind fifty odd years later.

A grey day, need to get my thinking cap on, we have unexpected visitors next week, their week away in Malta next week is a no go, the flights are just astronomical, so they are coming up here instead. I’m used to entertaining weekend guests but need to think about how to fill a week. Hopefully they will want to go off and do some things by themselves. They are quite traditional eaters too, need to reschedule my Tesco order.

BB

Postby liketocook » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:33 pm

Not sure where exactly you are BB but given the holiday chat perhaps a trip to Scarborough or Bridlington for chips and ice cream could be fun. A walk along the prom and a traditional packed lunch (tupperware cups of squash optional lol) and that sounds like a pretty good day out to me. :)

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:08 pm

We have done Scarborough with them on a previous visit but it’s years since I went to Bridlington, so that’s a good call. Thanks Ltc.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Is the North Yorkshire Railway running BB? Always a big hit with oldies. How mobile are they? Last time we were up there (same friend and her bro) we did the RSPB place at Bempton. We saw both puffins and gannets. We also did the boat trip from Bridlington. Friend's bro was seasick . . . :o

PS. Ingham's at Filey does the best fish and chips I have ever tasted.

https://www.visiteastyorkshire.co.uk/in ... n-p1294991

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:03 pm

The railway is running, and it’s on my list.

PP, We had some fish and chips yesterday here http://www.thompsonsfishrestaurants.com/. It’s somewhere I always forget about as it’s sited on the busy A64, but the fish and chips give Inghams a run for their money and they do crab salads.

I’m compiling quite a list then I’ll leave it to them to choose. A boat ride was on the list, I had thought from York along the river but Bridlington would also be a good option.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:32 pm

Feeling quite envious of your prospective guests BB!

Last time I stayed in York I was with a friend who hadn't been before. She was in raptures over visiting Goathland with the 'Heartbeat' connection and enjoyed pottering round Pickering. I enjoy the wonderful coastline more but we both really enjoyed Fountains Abbey and spent ages there.

I've never stayed in a holiday camp. As a child, we were already by the sea so didn't go on holiday as such - I sometimes peered enviously through the fence of one near us which had a gate leading onto the beach. It looked such fun. We considered Butlins once when the children were small but it was a bit expensive for us- I think we'd have liked it at that time.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:41 pm

Is ridiculous telling you what is on your own patch BB but friend and her nutty bro really enjoyed the Naval warfare reenactment at Peasholm Park in Scarborough. I thought it was hilarious but possibly not in a good way. . . . :lol:

https://www.peasholmpark.com/about/naval-warfare.html

Just up the road towards Brid and on a caravan site is this:

https://www.scarboroughfaircollection.com/

I loved it because I went on the ghost train! But also they had a good collection of Wurlitzer organs and there was someone playing all day long and he was excellent. 8-)

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:48 pm

I remember the naval reenactment with much fondness so took DS and niece when he was about seven. It’s absolute cr*p, I was so disappointed :lol: :lol: but not as disappointed as when I breathlessly ran up to the ‘station’ at Peashome Greeen and asked for three tickets to Scalby Mills on the train and return on the cable car…………….to be told, ‘you’ve just missed it love, the cable cars closed ten years ago,’

It was the same day that we watched the naval reenactment, talk about childhood dreams shattered!

Actually Scarbados, takes some beating :lol: :lol:

BB

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:50 pm

PP - I haven’t been to the Scarborough Fair place, parents have and said it was a good afternoon out.

It’s gone on the list.

Thanks BB

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:03 pm

Love Thompson’s fish and chips BB.

I always ask for a pensioner’s portion otherwise I’d never finish it!

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:05 pm

We stayed at an English Country Cottage at Scalby. It had fine views across the sea and was owned by the Duchy of Lancaster.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Busybee wrote:We went to Butlins at Pwhelli when I was five and my sister a babe in arms. I absolutely loved it, I had a fairly quiet rural upbringing and a week at Butlins was a revelation.

I remember roller skating, the pools, the children’s entertainer who had a rabbit puppet in a big top hat, the chair lift and the pinnacle of excitement………… orange juice delivered in small glass bottles with your milk to your chalet doorstep. It was our first holiday, and it was the first time that I went off and did things without my parents.

It’s amazing what sticks in your mind fifty odd years later.

A grey day, need to get my thinking cap on, we have unexpected visitors next week, their week away in Malta next week is a no go, the flights are just astronomical, so they are coming up here instead. I’m used to entertaining weekend guests but need to think about how to fill a week. Hopefully they will want to go off and do some things by themselves. They are quite traditional eaters too, need to reschedule my Tesco order.

BB

BB, Pwehelli Butlins was our regular holiday when I was little. I definitely went there the year I was five and as I think we're around the same age we could well have been there at the same time!! :thumbsup I loved the chair lift too. My cousin and I went on it over and over again. Later, we started frequenting the Minehead Butlins instead. They did the most marvellous banana milkshakes and there was a monorail, which was rather super.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:11 pm

WolfGirl wrote:Love Thompson’s fish and chips BB.

I always ask for a pensioner’s portion otherwise I’d never finish it!

Likewise! It’s still a huge portion.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:59 pm

You've reminded me that many years ago DD1's husband used to do a holiday job at Butlin's, Bognor. He wasn't a Redcoat, more on the maintenance side I think. They took the family down for a week a few years ago and DD2 and I went for a day. It was all hotels and the pool was incredibly crowded. Even though it was beachside nobody seemed to be leaving the compound. But the weirdest thing was that we ate at an on-site restaurant that was managed by Brian Turner's people. The food was pretty good but I absolutely swear that the waiter we had was Anton du Beke.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:28 am

Seatallan wrote:We went to Butlins at Pwhelli when I was five and my sister a babe in arms. I absolutely loved it, I had a fairly quiet rural upbringing and a week at Butlins was a revelation.

I worked there in 1963.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:58 am

I went there in 1963!

Postby Busybee » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:01 am

Gruney2 wrote:
Seatallan wrote:We went to Butlins at Pwhelli when I was five and my sister a babe in arms. I absolutely loved it, I had a fairly quiet rural upbringing and a week at Butlins was a revelation.

I worked there in 1963.

Our holiday was in 1969 I think, it might have been ‘70. I think the rabbit was called Clarence, mum still has a key ring with a photo in of me with Clarence and his handler. Very precious memories.

Sea, it’s a very small world at times.

BB

Postby Pampy » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:10 am

I loved it too! I went on the chair lift and remember playing table tennis with someone who used to be in the UK team. I also met a friend and we saved a duckling which had been trapped between some rocks. We took it to the on-site GP for treatment! It must have been good because I remember quite a bit about it when it happened nearly 60 years ago.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox