Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Uschi » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:07 pm

scullion wrote:hmm, i had to google that. it seems to be a loo with an 'inspection shelf' rather than the poo going straight into the waste pipe. i can see that it would be useful if you have to take a 'sample' - i'm surprised they don't have them in hospitals over here, at least.

Stokey Sue wrote:Oh, I was wondering what a Dutch toilet was, I don’t remember them on my one visit to Center Parcs but I might not have specially noticed them being quite used to them, they crop up all over Europe in my experience, though usually in buildings rather older than CP

I think our first Berlin offices (on top of a shopping mall) had them, though oddly the office suites in the hospital didn’t

Thank you!!
Yes, they are the standard ones here. Although many now consider them unfashionable and would prefer that little pool under their backsides. I had that for a few years and hated it with a passion. How can you relax when it "shoots back" every time you use it?
I know many people are squeamish about the "inspection" part of the Continental ones, but it does come in handy when you need to know whether everything is going well. Otherwise one can just ignore things until after flushing. ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:48 pm

Great topic for a food board! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously I remember one of my kids wouldn't "go" all weekend because of them. :shock:

Postby Uschi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:34 pm

Well, it is ex-food.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 am

Ha. This is wonderful! I have never, ever subscribed to The Good Old Days.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -were-they

Postby miss mouse » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:53 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Ha. This is wonderful! I have never, ever subscribed to The Good Old Days.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -were-they

It is very good, nor am I a 'good old days' subscriber.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:12 am

Everyone's interpretation is different. I mourn the passing of so many familiar things and behaviours and only welcome what I like about the new. I do worry about the effect of excessive greed on many people now and on future generations and our unwillingness to stop it.

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:00 pm

i caught my grandmother and great aunt chatting about 'the good old days', once, when i was in my late teens.
i pointed out - no nhs, no washing machines, no central heating, no tv, no state pension/benefits, the direct ramifications of war, and a few other things. my grandmother turned to my great aunt and said 'she's right you know'.
i never heard them talk of the 'good old days' again.

the incidence of murder and child abuse etc hasn't really risen that much as a percentage of population - it's just that the media is better(?) now and we hear about it more.

the thing i would like to see change is the awful waste caused by the fast fashion/'can't be seen wearing the same thing twice' mentality. according to an article i heard on the radio a couple of days ago that may be on the turn, thank goodness.

Postby Meganthemog » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:59 pm

scullion wrote:
the thing i would like to see change is the awful waste caused by the fast fashion/'can't be seen wearing the same thing twice' mentality. according to an article i heard on the radio a couple of days ago that may be on the turn, thank goodness.

Have you noticed how the media, when commenting on the Duchess of Cambridge will say 'she was wearing a recycled .........' for pity's sake she is just rewearing an outfit just like the rest of us. Can you imagine buying an outfit and only ever wearing it once? Ok maybe not your wedding dress!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:01 pm

I agree with you about the "fast fashion" scully - but interestingly I notice that there are Levi ads trading on their reputation for lasting clothing clearly aimed at young people, and the only fashionable 19 year old I know haunts charity shops, she's quite small so I suspect she does well from people a little optimistic about their own size when shopping

How far back do you go for the old days? For all the interest in 1960s fashion and mid century design I wouldn't want to go back to the days of swinging London

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:34 pm

i, too would prefer not to go back to the sixties fashion for clothes or furniture/furnishings (i may think differently if my figure matched the clothing) but our crockery and cutlery are sixties design classics. i fell in love with them when i was in my teens. it has taken many years to get what i wanted and they are used at every meal and not 'for best' as many are - and i get a thrill every time.
the ultimate in elegant design, concord, was a product of the sixties - so not everything was gross!

as for 'recycled' clothing - the muriel spark novel, 'the girls of slender means' is my idea of 'good dress sense'.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:52 pm

When I was at uni in the 70s some of Laura Ashley ranges were made to mix and match, so my room mate and I chose our pieces so we could make more outfits by sharing

I wasn't thinking of not wanting to go back to 60s style, but more to the rest of the 60s, the battles between the mods and rockers, the grim bedsits with gas cookers on the greasy landings, the industrial action, Vietnam, the Paris riots and the female liberation that often seemed to give more to men than women. Think of the world shown in Alfie, Lucky Jim, Billy Liar or even Darling

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:57 pm

I'd be happy to be in the 60s. I was young, everything was new and exciting, I had no responsibilities and I hoped so much to look forward to. There was a lot wrong with the world but now I know more there is far more to worry about.

You can't stay put though so it's best to make the best of what you've got at any one time.

Postby WolfGirl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:You can't stay put though so it's best to make the best of what you've got at any one time.

Very wise words, EM.

Postby jeral » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Has anyone heard from Renée lately or seen her where she posts somewhere else on the net I think? She normally "goes dark" when away but it seems to have been a while now. Hope all is well with both her and Colin.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 pm

No, the though had crossed my mind jeral, she last logged in over a month ago, worrying

Postby WolfGirl » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:54 pm

I was also wondering about Renee. Hope all is ok.

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:10 am

Yes, worrying. Perhaps if Renée is able to view she might give us a wave :wave

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:24 pm

I'm alright and thank you very much for all your messages. I was at Colin's for a few weeks in May. He had just come out of hospital. Then I stayed with a friend and came back a few days ago from my friend who lives in Bowness. It was so good to catch up with her. We were childhood friends from when we both lives at the south end of Blackpool. She and her husband had moved around, to Scotland and then the Lake District. Her husband died last year. I am off to Colin's again on Wednesday for two weeks and thank goodness that the weather has cooled down! Some days, I just don't know whether I'm coming or going! Colin has prostate cancer, but it was caught in the early stages. He is having hormone treatment. He was admitted to hospital in May because of an infection. I had cryotherapy treatment for a basal cell carcinoma a few days ago, but that's not a problem and easily treated.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Hurray, good to see you Renee

Hope Colin is recovering well from his hospital stay, enjoy you next visit to him

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox