Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Pampy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:36 am

I mainly drink French and Italian wine - think I might do a bit of stocking up with a few decent bottles.
(By the way, last year, Sue recommended "The Best Valpolicella Ripasso" from Morrisons and I bought a bottle which I opened a couple of weeks ago. It's really very good - thanks Sue!)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:04 am

Glad you enjoyed it Pampy, think I might have a bottle but still not drinking red

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 03, 2021 5:47 pm

Teeming with rain, so I've got my sewing machine out.
We had 2 chairs reupholstered 3 years ago, but Tony didn't want a cushion at the time due to his back problem.
Preferring a rock hard seat.
Now, his needs have changed, so I've made the box cushion and cover today, finally. With a zip.

His blue chair has heavily faded I see, but the other one has kept well.
So tomorrow, I'll make the pink box cover.

Then a few mix and match back cushions. Quite pleased with myself.

Postby WolfGirl » Mon May 03, 2021 6:08 pm

I’ve had my sewing machine out today too, Gill.
I’ve finally got round to properly hemming a set of curtains for the patio doors. Got everything done and they are waiting to be re-hung when OH has got a moment. Can’t do it myself as they are too heavy, they both have to go on the pole and the whole thing lifted on to brackets.
I am also feeling quite pleased with myself!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 03, 2021 6:14 pm

Nice one, WG.
Curtains aren't easy. Not just the weight, but all that fabric to gwapple with.

My french door curtains are about 10cms too long.
I might just lift the curtain poles and polyfilla the holes?

Postby WolfGirl » Mon May 03, 2021 6:31 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:

:lol: Sounds like a plan!

Postby miss mouse » Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:

Long curtains daintily draped on the floor or gently creased are the rage now.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 03, 2021 8:36 pm

Very good box cushion Gill , unfortunately you have reminded me that I should launder the sofa covers

Surprising how it has faded though

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 03, 2021 10:03 pm

Wonderful chair covering. The cushion has such perfectly straight edges.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon May 03, 2021 11:55 pm

Some seriously proficient sewing there. Gill. I haven't sewn for an age - my last effort was a jeans patch job for Mr0 - shibori zigzag layers :lol: Did you find the same furnishing material for your chair? Or had you done the previous version too? Very impressive :D

Well, I called a dude at a tile and stone cutting place last week for an offcut piece of countertop - backdrop for some food shots I told him as I'm not in the market for a redecor job - he gave me two bits of beautiful grey and white granite that he said were going in the bin - the smaller of which at 50x 60cm is now a new sink side surface. He gave me another matching which is almost 1m wide :shock: which I couldn't turn down - well would one? Weighs a ton ...

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 8:04 am

I love that counter top. Well done on saving it from the bin.
What plans are you concocting for your 1m piece, Zero?

There is a short story to this one chair. Tony bought it in an antique store in St Margarets, noted as "Georgian".
The upholsterer telephoned us whilst working on it, rather giddy as he'd never worked on one of our chairs before.
A furniture dealer from Tetbury was in his workshop and asked him to offer us £3,000 for it.
It's a Howard chair: furniture maker to the royalty.
The leg with the provenance burned onto it is worth £800 as it can be grafted onto a fake chair.

I was mentally spending the dosh, but Tony told him to clear off, or words to that effect. :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 am

Miss Mouse, Tony says that. And wants the drapes left as they are.
I'm all for doing bugger all at times.

I'm also painting some of our furniture pieces. Tony cannot stand them any more, Victorian walnut veneer.
I thought I'd start out testing my lack of skills on the small table first.
I only keep batteries in the little drawer.

Before and After

Next up, the bureau in china red.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 am

Love that paint job Gill. Inspired colour. Totally transforms and lifts that piece. You have a good eye.

Must say I'd've been tempted to take the 3 grand for the Howard chair :lol: But also so nice to hang onto good things.

Not immediately sure about the 1m piece of granite. Weighs a ton too. It will come to me. :D We'll be returning to see the Shaun guy next week to pick up some small granite pieces Mr Zero chose as sculpture bases which are having holes drilled thru to take bottom securing screws. Might have another look at binnings.Could get interesting.

Postby WolfGirl » Tue May 04, 2021 9:32 am

What a good job you have made on that table. It looks fab.

You are a very talented lady.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 am

Very kind of you to say so, but as EM says - it's important just to be able to sew a straight line.

As a colourist, I was able to change the tin of paint that Tony chose. He came back with dark green, I wasn't going to have any of that!

Should get very interesting, Zero. Although drilling through marble is a skill way beyond me.
I bite my lip just cutting glass for my frames.

We do have quarries galore in this part of the country. But they don't give cuts away! You have to buy it ;)

Postby Renee » Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am

Oh Gill, you've done a brilliant job! I can't do anything in a straight line sadly! :roll:

Before I dash out to the gym, here is an interesting article that I read online this morning. As I get older, I am desperate to preserve my teeth! I do have a water flosser, but didn't pay the full price, also the expanding floss which I can also thread through a bridge.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... top_health

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am

Morning all from an alternating sunny and rainy Harefield... at 5.45 this morning the rain was coming down in stair-rods... 15 minutes later it was bright sunshine - which it is at the moment :clap

Renee wrote:Before I dash out to the gym, here is an interesting article that I read online this morning. As I get older, I am desperate to preserve my teeth! I do have a water flosser, but didn't pay the full price, also the expanding floss which I can also thread through a bridge.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... top_health

On the general subject of mouth care, I recently bought a tongue scraper as my tongue was always heavily coated for no known reason (apart from breathing through my mouth while asleep) .. Well, apart from the expected gagging reflex getting plenty of excise it really does give my tongue a spring clean .. It's such a lovely feeling afterwards. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Edited to say: WOW, what a lovely paint job Gill :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 04, 2021 11:20 am

Love the colour of the paint Gill, the whole thing looks much better - did you distress the finish? I tend to work on the assumption that my lifestyle will distress things without starting deliberately

The granite sounds like a real find ZeroCook

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am

A good article on dental care. I used an NHS dentist until I was in my late 40s (someone I knew socially and didn't feel cut corners). When he retired I went onto Denplan. I thought I'd looked after my teeth with regular brushing and flossing but it took a couple of years to really clean my teeth up with regular hygienist visits and education in the use of inter dental brushes. I don't know what NHS care is like now ( if you are lucky enough to find an NHS dentist) but I suspect, as with other health care, that disease prevention is low on the list which requires more treatment later. Very sad when it is relatively simple.

Love the painted furniture. I am always worried about painting furniture made of decent wood even when not overly fashionable in case I am ruining something - though I have been known to sand such things.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am

Thanks Renee and Patsy.

All the paint can be taken off, EM.
It can be undone if you so wish, back to the veneer, and then french polished. A bit of work but not difficult.
I can even change the colour if I fancy another.

You can buy water based washable paint even, that would come off completely given a good wash.
Although I'm using Annie Sloan furniture paints here, and setting it with a proprietary varnish.

Yes, I decided to distress the table a little.
The trick is not to a) over do it & b) to do it where natural wear and tear occurs, ie not in the middle, but over the edges and round the handles.
I might make the bureau and the chest of drawers one block colour.
1 china red, the other antique white.
I also wanted to keep the original handles rather than changing them for modern. Polished with good old Brasso.
I forgot how dirty that stuff gets.

The other consideration (like painting my frames) is to use the right product for the job.
Some people will use house paint for example. Which won't look the right colour in a year or so.
If you imagine what happens to walls from the sunlight when you take a picture down and can see the original colour.

Furniture paint is colour fast quality.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox