Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:30 pm

Thank you Sue! We are planning the occasional day out, but haven't decided where to go yet. A couple of years ago we visited a very interesting silk museum in Hampshire, which is still producing silk goods and a very interesting visit to the Brooklands Museum where I was able to sit in the Concorde which is something that I have always wanted to do! Sadly it didn't take off! :lol:

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:54 pm

Jolly good to hear from you Renée :)

Sounds like you have some worries as well as the intense heat to contend with so my best wishes on all fronts.

Very hot weather floors me too so I do feel for people who have to work in it with little respite. Nice temperate heat is what we want and hopefully will be so for your next travel visit.

A photo of Bowness given your eye for detail would be welcome if you have time.

I've always been fascinated by silk as a wonder of nature. Concorde not so much, mainly because a journey fare cost just that teensy bit more than catching a bus though I would watch it flying over around 6pm most evenings. It'll be "spot the Branson or Bazos" now I suppose :lol:

it'd be lovely if you are able to stay in touch - we ain't easy to get rid of ;)

Postby aero280 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:56 pm

I have prostate cancer, but it was treated with hormones and brachytherapy nearly 10 years ago. So far, my PSA levels have been slowly dropping, and all is well! :)

Postby Suffs » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:03 am

Glad to hear you’re both ok (or as ok as much as many of us can be these days) and have just been gadding about and having too much fun to log in here :lol: :thumbsup

Postby dennispc » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:27 am

Good to hear from you Renee, and my good wishes to Colin.

Cryotherapy has worked well for me, looks like it’s done the job, will be seen in three months to check all is well.

That is good news aero280.

Suffs wrote:or as ok as much as many of us can be these days

Certainly feels like it sometimes ;) - yesterday had a copy of Hospital doctor’s report to GP, impressed with the speed only saw him on Wednesday, I've chronic persistent hyponatraemia. Sounds dreadful but it’s only low salt - 129 if that means anything to you. He thinks the BP medication is causing that, as well as sweating in the hot weather, really pleased I've been taken off Losartan (BP pill), and Cholesterol level is 2.2, pleased about that too. :thumbsup

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks so much for all your good wishes! I'll pass them on to Colin!

Low salt, dennispc? We're always being warned about salt and I hardly use any. Mind you it is hidden in a lot of foods. I used to take Losartan, but now take Candesartan, which must be similar noting the endings! I think it's an ARB and the one that my doctor said that he would take if ever he needed medication. How did you get your cholesterol down? I couldn't tolerate statins, so need to rely on diet, weight reduction and exercise, although I've been a bit lax recently. It is only raised a bit and I have plenty of good cholesterol apparently.

Photos? Yes, I have a few! One here and more to come.

Aero280, I'm glad that all is going well for you. I'll let Colin know.

20210707_154227.jpg
20210707_154227.jpg (168.22 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:43 pm

A few more ...

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:53 pm

Do you remember little Charlotte, who used to stand on a step in my kitchen and help with the cooking? She is 23 now and in the Army Reserves. She was in Belize in January with the Army. She stayed with me recently.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:22 pm

How nice to see Charlotte! Bet you enjoyed her stay

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Yes, it was good to see her, although she has moved to Devon to be with her boy friend and family. She stayed with her mum in Oldham for a while and drove over to stay with me for a couple of nights. She wanted to go to Dobbies to buy lettuce and vegetables for her mum's garden. Charlotte has done all the work there and has made raised beds so that her mum won't need to bend down because she has rheumatoid arthritis.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Lovely photos, Renee and good to see you.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:31 pm

Thank you so much.

I had been feeling that I didn't have much to contribute on here which is one of the reasons that I drifted away. I am much older now, just cooking for one and making mostly healthy meals, but I have learnt a lot here over the years and everyone has been so helpful. I do, however, feel that I am amongst friends here which is nice.

Postby jeral » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:30 am

Renée, thanks for the great photos, and lovely ones of Charlotte too who's very photogenic and someone to be proud of by all accounts.

On a personal note, you have selflessly contributed so much already and provided much encouragement to people along the way. Thus, as you've already earned your keep, you can afford to slum it on here now :D

Postby dennispc » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Join the club Renee. Using Jeral’s words, I’ve been slumming it on here for ages as my position is the same, though there are two of us we rarely spend a lot of time cooking, though do put together colourful salads.

Loved the photos.

I started with Ramipril, was moved to Candesartan and then to Losartan, can’t remember why.

My salt levels have been low for years long before I took any medication, that’s just down to genes. As is my cholesterol - unfortunately I haven’t found the magic button - presumably my body doesn’t produce much of it or salt.

We lost weight by reducing processed sugar products significantly as well as fat. Tim Spector feels government guidelines on calories needed each day are too high. A controlled experiment on himself gave a figure of 1800 rather than the usual 2200 for a man. Less bread helps as well, though when the colder weather comes I’ll need more carbs to keep warm as well as stews.

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:43 pm

We shall slum together then Dennis! :lol: :lol:

Oh yes, Ramipril ... I had a very troublesome cough with that one and disturbed nights, so quickly changed to another one.

I've also thought that the government guidelines for our daily calories was too high especially for people who are older and need to watch their weight. I follow Michael Mosley, Professor Roy Taylor mostly. I don't eat anything sweet, bread, cakes etc. and try to include beans, lentils and seeds. I go off track occasionally, but get back on.

Postby dennispc » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:24 am

:lol: Slummers of the world unite! We have nothing to lose but our pains! And a few aches as well.

Impressed with your food choices, Renee :clap :thumbsup

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 am

Well, laughter is one of the best medicines Dennis!

Postby dennispc » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:30 am

:thumbsup

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 pm

dennispc, your several photos of crispy yet soft chips alone restored my faith that such things weren't a figment of my imagination. (We won't mention your salad photos - far too healthy - or other laudable "earnings".)

In truth though, not many people spend a lot of time in the kitchen every day, what with pre-prepared veg and food, or bung-it-in fancy one-pot slow cookers.

Well heck, measuring out Yotam Ottolenghi's ingredients for one dish is a day's work in itself! I watched his TV Med tour when he was supposedly about to skin and deseed a ton of baby tomatoes. Did he? Or hand the knife over immediately after the brief camera moments? That's it! We should all have commis chefs :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:13 pm

jeral wrote:Well heck, measuring out Yotam Ottolenghi's ingredients for one dish is a day's work in itself! I watched his TV Med tour when he was supposedly about to skin and deseed a ton of baby tomatoes. Did he? Or hand the knife over immediately after the brief camera moments? That's it! We should all have commis chefs :)

You bet he did! I once decided I'd dash home from work and quickly make cherry tomatoes stuffed with a flavoured cream cheese filling (a Sarah Raven recipe - I disliked her even more than I did before after that!) for a pot luck buffet supper I was going to. Never again!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox