Register

Chatterbox 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox 2

Postby Suffs » Wed May 19, 2021 8:45 am

Rainbow ... It was a long time ago ... before the ‘gun’ type piercing with the ‘one use’ studs were in common use ... it was done with a needle
which was supposed to be sterilised in some way ... the place was supposed to be really good, but it was, as I say, back in the day when these things weren’t as scrupulously done as happens now ...
Doctors said it was a not uncommon way for someone to contract GF in those days. A GP actually said that evidence of newly pierced ears could almost be considered a diagnostic tool back then
Last edited by Suffs on Wed May 19, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Rainbow » Wed May 19, 2021 9:10 am

Suffs, thanks for the explanation - I get it now. Had no idea piercing ears was such a health hazard back then :o

Postby scullion » Wed May 19, 2021 10:28 am

hmm - the matron at my school did my first ear piercings when i was thirteen - with the gun type - so they have been round for fifty years.
i have to say that i've never heard of catching glandular fever from having your ears pierced - kissing, yes! (of course it's a close contact thing so the piercer may have passed it on by coughing - the virus is found in saliva - and i doubt the piercer licked the needle first...).
contagious diseases are often caught when kids go up to 'big' school and she may have caught it saying goodbye at the end of term to her 'little' school mates - the incubation period is a month or two.
'afraid i would go for coincidence, too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 19, 2021 10:45 am

I looked it up - Epstein Barr Virus can be passed on through any body fluid transfer, though saliva is particularly common, so could be blood on the needle or the operator licking their fingers. It doesn’t need to enter through nose and mouth

The problem with the guns at the time (1980) was that the cheap jewellers round the market used to mangle people’s ears leaving bruising and scarring that picked up secondary infections - I knew a few people who had trouble

Which is why I had mine done by a lady with a nursing qualification and an autoclave prominently displayed, she used special pincers, I had to wait while they cooled down enough to use which is why I had a long chat with her

Postby Suffs » Wed May 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Epstein Barr Virus can be passed on through any body fluid transfer, though saliva is particularly common, so could be blood on the needle or the operator licking their fingers. It doesn’t need to enter through nose and mouth

That's exactly what the doc said SSue

The jeweller we went to said she preferred to use a needle as it was easier to place the hole exactly in the right place, especially on smaller lobed ears. :roll:

Postby Suffs » Wed May 19, 2021 12:29 pm

It could've been worse ... my niece went down with GF in the summer following A levels ... the following year in her first year at uni she became very unwell and was found to have Hodgkin's Lymphoma .......

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hodgkin-lymphoma/causes/

Postby Seatallan » Wed May 19, 2021 3:19 pm

Goodness Suffs, I had no idea there was a connection! Hope she's OK now...
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed May 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Mine were done by my then GP centuries ago using a needle - can't remember who did my second ones higher up - I do remember DIY jobs done at home by certain friends using a hefty needle & a bar of soap placed behind the lobe for some reason....... :?

Postby Suffs » Wed May 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Seatallan wrote:Goodness Suffs, I had no idea there was a connection! Hope she's OK now...

She is ... she got an extra year to complete her degree then married the loveliest chap ... there was worry about whether a family would happen following her treatment but they now have a gorgeous sturdy son, the image of his Daddy. It seems so unfair that, having gone through all that with their youngest daughter, Bro is facing such a difficult time himself. :cry:

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed May 19, 2021 7:30 pm

I'd never been diagnosed with GF but when I did the work-up for Mrs B's transplant the antibodies showed up in the blood tests. The consultant said "I see you've had glandular fever", which came as a surprise to me. I presume it must have been a very mild case some time in the past.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 am

I seem to remember something about a very cold apple being used behind the lobe ( I think to chill the ear and ease the throb) when being pierced. I had mine done with my Mum when I was 16 ish, then I had another one done about a year later, just slightly higher than the first piercing.

Funnily enough I went through a bag of my Mums costume jewellery yesterday and came across quite a few pairs of clip on earrings. Now those could really hurt if worn for too long !

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:15 pm

I agree.
I always found clip on earrings pure torture.

Postby Uschi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:31 pm

They do hurt, but since I am unpierced that's the only route left open to me.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:04 am

WWordsworth wrote:I always found clip on earrings pure torture.

Not to mention the allergic reaction from the nickel..........!!!!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:39 pm

My late friend brought me a pretty little pair of Canadian jade earrings, for pierced ears, and sometimes they gave me horrible dermatitis and sometimes they didn’t. We couldn’t understand it - the jewel was gilt, and the post was that blue steel, both of which are generally nickel free and hypoallergenic. Of course it was the butterfly clips, which were nickel (permitted in Canada at the time), been wearing them with sterling silver backs for years now and they are fine

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:42 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
WWordsworth wrote:I always found clip on earrings pure torture.

Not to mention the allergic reaction from the nickel..........!!!!!

Yeah. I have no lobes - the sign of an evil Bond nemesis, so clip-ons turn my ears bright red, painfully. My eventual dive into piercings, avoided for so many years, was an infection disaster so gave up after less than a week. I also have to sew little patches over any nickel studs on jeans that'll touch my skin. and avoid nickel belt buckles of course.

I envy people who can wear earrings, although beauty articles say a necklace is as good at directing attention up to face - or down from, if wrinkles aren't to be the highlight feature :D

Postby scullion » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:01 am

try painting the nickel surface with clear nail varnish.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:58 am

scullion wrote:try painting the nickel surface with clear nail varnish.

Never found that worked for more than one occasion

Only vintage stuff should be nickel plated now

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:08 pm

I am just watching Celebrity Antiques Road Trip and realised that I have never travelled in a Rolls Royce.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:10 pm

I don’t think I have travelled in a Rolls Royce either, or a Bentley come to that

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox