Register

Latin-American Cuisine

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Latin-American Cuisine

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:06 pm

I have one of those bean pots (somewhere)! We always called it The Haricot as they were known then - our very much missed Dena used to call them that too so it was a fairly common name for them. They do cook delicious beans - very creamy texture - & would cook slow cooked meat wonderfully well too.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:32 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I too started with Rose Elliot’s instructions, Rainbow. Sami Tamimi says use 4 volumes of water to pulses, which is a good tip, it’s always enough

Sorry ZeroCook but I have a bit of a problem with that Rick Martinez quote

First it’s the assumption that the flavour of the bean itself isn’t enough, that it needs jazzing up

Second, I usually do cook beans, soaked or unsoaked, with flavourings appropriate to the intended use, but this mainly flavours the cooking liquid which also has bean flavour and colour and then becomes the bean stock that is used in the finished dish, but I find the aromatics flavour the liquid far more than the beans

For example you can’t really make good peas (red beans) and rice with canned beans, you cook the beans with celery leaves, thyme, possibly a bay leaf, a garlic clove and a whole Scotch bonnet pepper ( I put these in an empty tea bag so I can retrieve them) then the stock is mixed with coconut milk to make the rice dish. This gives slightly blushing rice and good flavour.

The Italians use the bean stock even without aromatics, as here

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... en-in-rome

Stokey, I added the quote as context. Even tho it has the seasonings he uses in the recipe, it was simply to make the point of how usual it is to cook without soaking. Flavourings are always optional and to taste. My point is cooking method rather than flavourings.
The Rachel Roddy fagioli and pasta looks good.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:02 am

I had one of those 'bean' pots when I first got married .... very trendy in the '60's iirc ... Mine was dark brown. I have no idea why I got rid of mine, but might have happened when I had to downsize to move to Hong Kong where you get a whole new take on bean and potato pots in unglazed clay.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:07 pm

I'm not sure they fit in all modern ovens, these days, Patsy.
I've been lucky that all the ovens I've possessed in adult life have been big.

Postby scullion » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:50 pm

i didn't know they were called 'bean pots'. i have a couple, made by a friend, and i've always called them casseroles.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:04 pm

Crikey, I used to have a couple of casseroles like that! They would have seen the odd butter bean I suppose... :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:31 pm

The same shape is traditionally used for American Boston baked beans too, I had a pot shaped fridge magnet given me by a Boston colleague

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:46 pm

They're certainly hefty pots & usually glazed/part glazed in Treacle Ware. They were usually used for cooking in an old fashioned grate with a fire where they could happily sit simmering away for hours.

I well remember those grates in my grandmothers house & they were the devil to clean.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:50 pm

I bought a bag of 'pink beans' here in Loosha, they needed a good soak. They are not pinto beans or kidney beans. They are about the same size as haricot beans. I have added them to some pork with a gentle jerk flavouring.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:05 pm

I didn't know they were called bean pots either - I definitely had one I bought at Habitat on the Kings Road in the 70s, I think I might even still have it, must have a look and bring it back to life! It was all brown.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:44 pm

halfateabag wrote:I bought a bag of 'pink beans' here in Loosha, they needed a good soak. They are not pinto beans or kidney beans. They are about the same size as haricot beans. I have added them to some pork with a gentle jerk flavouring.

Rose coco beans? Those are actually related to borlotti beans, they are often speckled, but they vary a lot in colour, size, and spottiness

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox