Register

Cookery books

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cookery books

Postby liketocook » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:46 pm

Amyw wrote:I heard a few people mention Jamie Oliver’s new book . Is that the 7 Days one ? Worth the hype ?

Yes I'd say so. Everything is very doable and everything I've made from it so far has worked really well. Out of the whole book there were only a couple of recipes that didn't appeal to me. So far we've made the cauli cheese pasta, filo chicken Kiev, pork loin schnitzel and broccoli & gorgonzola risotto. I feel it's given me the nudge to add a bit of "zing" into our day-to-day meals which had fallen into a bit of a rut.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I've just remembered that both girls have anything written by bloody Gino D'Acampo . . . .

I know everyone's rather scathing about him but I find his instructions and explanations of why to do certain things very good and have always had great success with his recipes.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Amyw » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:45 pm

liketocook wrote:
Amyw wrote:I heard a few people mention Jamie Oliver’s new book . Is that the 7 Days one ? Worth the hype ?

Yes I'd say so. Everything is very doable and everything I've made from it so far has worked really well. Out of the whole book there were only a couple of recipes that didn't appeal to me. So far we've made the cauli cheese pasta, filo chicken Kiev, pork loin schnitzel and broccoli & gorgonzola risotto. I feel it's given me the nudge to add a bit of "zing" into our day-to-day meals which had fallen into a bit of a rut.

I’ve just watched two of his programmes and bitten the bullet and bought the book . He seems to be a bit more relaxed in this series , sometimes I find him very hyper and trying to be down with the kids .

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:03 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I have a growing aversion to celebrity chefs, I'm pretty sure most of them don't have an awful lot to do with what's written in their books after the first one or two maybe, other than signing them off when the publishing team has written them.

I went to the British Library broadcast with Yotam Ottolenghi and Ixta Belfrage (Ixta is pronounced Ish-ta) talking about their new book Flavour. Ixta works in his development kitchen and gets a full writing credit for this book, which I think is :thumbsup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ottolenghi-FLA ... oks&sr=1-1

Postby liketocook » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:04 pm

Amyw wrote:
liketocook wrote:I’ve just watched two of his programmes and bitten the bullet and bought the book . He seems to be a bit more relaxed in this series , sometimes I find him very hyper and trying to be down with the kids .

I'm sure you'll not regret it, it years since I've bought a cookery book that I immediately wanted to make nearly everything from.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:18 pm

I picked up my mother's Marguerite Patten book today. I can only think that reproducing colour photographs was expensive in those days. Here are some excerpts from it.
The tomato fondue one amused me.

IMG_4095.jpg
IMG_4094.jpg
IMG_4093.jpg

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:21 pm

Oh Herbi, you make me feel so old :lol:. One forgets how much things have changed, especially in presentation.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:49 pm

It was published in 1960.... which was the year my parents married, and the general vibe is an introduction to cooking. I think there are some hidden culinary gems in it. I know the chocolate mousse is good. (Just raw eggs and chocolate.)

But really, it has the audacity to be called Cookery in Colour. :lol: Yeah...

To be fair, it does have some genuine colour plates, though. e.g.

IMG_4096.jpg

There is a handwritten recipe - my mother's hand - at the front.

The book is mine now, and I shall treasure it.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 pm

I can remember selling Cookery in Colour when I was a Saturday girl in WHSmith. I remember how popular it was.

Postby Suelle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:47 pm

herbidacious wrote:It was published in 1960.... which was the year my parents married, and the general vibe is an introduction to cooking. I think there are some hidden culinary gems in it. I know the chocolate mousse is good. (Just raw eggs and chocolate.)

But really, it has the audacity to be called Cookery in Colour. :lol: Yeah...

To be fair, it does have some genuine colour plates, though. e.g.

IMG_4096.jpg

There is a handwritten recipe - my mother's hand - at the front.

The book is mine now, and I shall treasure it.

I have Cookery in Colour; my version published in 1974 - revised to include metric weights! Prior to 1960 there were few mass market books with colour illustrations.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:10 pm

They use gills in some of the recipes.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:43 am

Herb. should that have been gulls? perhaps chicken was too expensive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:37 am

We used gills at school in Australia (from the ancient Commonsense Cookery Book mentioned before). I have to look up the quantity every time I use the book.

My USA friend talked of quarts as an everyday thing (milk for example). Although we learnt about them when reciting tables at school I don't remember them being part of daily conversation.

Postby Suelle » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:22 am

herbidacious wrote:They use gills in some of the recipes.

Removed by the 1974 edition - thankfully.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:07 am

Earthmaiden wrote: My USA friend talked of quarts as an everyday thing (milk for example). Although we learnt about them when reciting tables at school I don't remember them being part of daily conversation.

A US quart is smaller than a UK one, a US pint is 16 ounces so a quart is 32 ounces but ours are 20 ounces and 40 ounces, quite a difference

Coincidentally a 32 fluid ounce quart is so nearly a litre you can estimate without effort

The learning by rote confuses us all, US children learn
A pint’s a pound
The world around”

But that not true because here
A pint of water
Weighs a pound and a quarter

I had to learn all this for recording food and water intakes in different locations , but it’s haAndy to know sometimes

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Ha, really helpful, Sue!! Now I have to try and remember them :lol: :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Does anyone else remember the school exercise books we used to get with all the various measurements/quantities listed on the back. I swear it's the only time I ever saw rod, pole and perch mentioned.

But, being a cricket afficionado, I do know what a chain is. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Does anyone else remember the school exercise books we used to get with all the various measurements/quantities listed on the back. I swear it's the only time I ever saw rod, pole and perch mentioned.

But, being a cricket afficionado, I do know what a chain is. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yes, I certainly do! I think I even may still have one somewhere! I must look for it :lol:

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:21 pm

Me too! God, I'm old :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:33 pm

Oh, yes, I remember them, and acres

I could always remember my first bank account number (long expired) because it involved a short form of my birthday plus the number of yards in a mile :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox