Register

Cookery books

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cookery books

Postby halfateabag » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:21 am

My Mum cooked well but was not an adventurous cook probably because of my dad not liking anything 'too' different. I'd bake with her most Sunday mornings before church. Things got a bit better when my parents bought the apartment in Spain because holidays were always taken there. So garlic and some spices were starting to creep into our dishes. I was the adventurous one, delving into most other countries culinary dishes, travel started that...... Thankfully we both love food and most ingredients are now easily available.

On books..... the late Christmas pressie will now not be arriving as there seems to be a worldwide shortage of Claudia Rodens book of Jewish cooking unless you are willing to pay a small mortgage, funds have been returned.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:58 am

That's because Jay Rayner recently reviewed it Zosh.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... ewish-food

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:59 am

Oh, that's sad zosh. I'm glad I got the Kindle version now even though it is hard to read/flick back/look things up in that format. I've had a couple of book orders from Amazon cancelled lately too. I do recommend the book if you ever get the chance.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:46 pm

It's available at the Internet Archive
https://archive.org/details/bookofjewishfood00rode

Postby herbidacious » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:58 pm

It's on kindle as well. Is it actually in print? Perhaps if the demand is so high they will do another print run.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:57 pm

I don't think it is in print, the last UK (Penguin) edition is listed as 1999, but the Kindle is available

Slightly amused that Random House /Internet archive list it under "Americana", I think that would make the author laugh too, obviously Jewish cooking was invented in New York

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:12 pm

Not only not American(a) but Ashkenazi/Central European, Sephardic and Middle Eastern!

Was mentioned that it's on Kindle - added the archive link for those like myself who don't like kindle and either can't get hold of or don't want a printed book.

I have quite a few favourited cookbooks on there. I was quite surprised how many they have, but it is out of San Fransisco and they're very big on good cooking on that coast.

Postby scullion » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:08 pm

available to download free here.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:58 pm

I sent an awful lot of books (not just cookery) to the charity shop in 2017. We'd had floor to ceiling shelves in the den above the garage, which we'd filled over the years. I kept only the ones I could fit on the shelf in the kitchen and the top shelf on a bookcase in the den. The criteria I used: if i cooked from it, keep it.

Among those which survived were Mrs Balbir Singh, Ottolenghi, Peter Gordon, New wave Asian by Sri Owen, Larousse and good old Marguerite Patten, given to me by Mum. And an excellent, well thumbed book of Indian vegetarian curries, given to me by my late bro in law. The rest are some Australian woman's weekly on the likes of Persian dishes and tagines. Oh and the ubiquitous Stein.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Going back to the Claudia Roden Jewish cookery. I mentioned before that I got the Kindle version and really recommend getting the proper book in this case. It's a huge amazing book and in usual Kindle style it's hard to find anything again once you've passed it. Definitely a book to flick through ( though if course, if you can get a very cheap online version it'd be worth it just to have a look).

Well done Sloe - those cookbook culls are always hard! I kept a selection from each cuisine that I like. That was a few years ago - they seem to be creeping back!

Postby Pampy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:57 pm

I gave over 400 cookery books to a charity shop when I modernised my house, keeping only about 15. To be honest, I haven't really missed them - recipes that I liked, I had cooked often enough to remember them and I've found google usually fine for finding others.

Postby Binky » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:23 pm

Reading through this thread, I find that I don't recognise the name Diana Henry although she gets mentioned several times. Have I missed out?

The JO books for 15 minute and 30 minute meals are irritating as they don't follow a recognised method. You're jumping about all over the place and it isn't relaxing or rewarding cookery. Or maybe it's just me...

We had a cull of books a few years ago and haven't missed any of them. The ones I chucked away first, and with glee, were four by Lorraine Pascal.Didn't get on with her at all and had been lured into purchase by a friend and her husband who loved her recipes. Just shows that we are all different.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:19 pm

Binky wrote:Reading through this thread, I find that I don't recognise the name Diana Henry although she gets mentioned several times. Have I missed out?

The JO books for 15 minute and 30 minute meals are irritating as they don't follow a recognised method. You're jumping about all over the place and it isn't relaxing or rewarding cookery. Or maybe it's just me...

We had a cull of books a few years ago and haven't missed any of them. The ones I chucked away first, and with glee, were four by Lorraine Pascal. Didn't get on with her at all and had been lured into purchase by a friend and her husband who loved her recipes. Just shows that we are all different.

Diana Henry is a food writer, who writes regularly for the Daily Telegraph and magazines, occasionally appears on tv (but not often), she has a reputation for straightforward recipes that are easy to follow and work

There are quite a few of her recipes on BBC Good Food to sample
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/col ... ry-recipes

With you on Lorraine Pascal - I loved her first series of baking, she's so competent when baking, it's a pleasure to watch, and she makes patisserie look achievable; like Anna Olson

The she did Fast Fresh & Easy - for the first recipe she hollowed out limes, discarding the flesh and filled the shells with bought strawberry jelly mixed with vodka, so that when set and cut into wedges it looked like little watermelon slices, So fulfilling none of the three elements of the brief, I switched off,

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:22 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:47 pm

Possibly something very useful for those with impaired sight or who find reading difficult. I feel very fortunate to be able to read recipes and follow them (or not!) as I please.

Not really different to the kind of videos you are expected to follow but at least you can watch those and learn beforehand rather than 'cook as you watch' which is something I would rarely do.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:45 pm

It's anathema for me to get rid of any books. Books are sacred... ;) Their value goes beyond them being useful for me. However clearly I have a problem not just brewing but happening right now. I suppsoe it's comoounded by books being so relatively cheap these days. In my fantasies, I have a house with a dedicated substantial library rather than in every single room of the house save the kitchen and bathrooms (I really don't like keeping books in the kitchen, not that I have any room to do so post cupboard falling off the wall.)
Last edited by herbidacious on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kacey » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:07 pm

I went looking for my Hot Chefs books when Gary Rhodes passed away. I hadn't picked them up since my past life, but I was bitterly disappointed to discover they were amongst the ones I sent off to the charity shop when we moved house. I won't part with any of them ever again.

I still mourn the loss of all my old annuals and Enid Blyton books my old Dad decided to dump after I left home.

Postby scullion » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:44 pm

herbidacious wrote:It's anathema for me to get rid of any books. Books are sacred... ;)

a girl after my own heart! the phrase 'books are sacred' was one i repeated often to the young - when they were young.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:09 am

I know a professor of linguistics who decided to use a bedroom as a library when he moved into a new house - he had to have the floor reinforced and more robust joists put in to make sure the floor didn't collapse under the weight of his 40,000+ books!

Postby aero280 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:47 am

Years ago when I was doing some basic structural design, I was made aware that the floor loading for a "bookstore" was the highest normally in use for the design of non-industrial buildings.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox