Register

Cookery books

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cookery books

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Thanks for the heads up - I’ve just downloaded the Claudia Roden book for 99p

It had a very detailed contents section at the front (you have to tap to expand it), which I always find useful when browsing on Kindle, and a full index, but agree it’s slightly awkward that it isn’t always clear whether an index entry is a recipe or not, although it looks as if all recipes are listed in the index a separate recipe listing would be nice, though I suspect from the thoroughness of the index it’s the same as in the paper book.

Both contents and index are properly hyperlinked, so easy to navigate

What is it about Kindle that people find hinders browsing?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:41 pm

If I stray from the page I'm reading I don't know how to ever find it again. I assume there's a way but in a long book like Claudia Roden's I don't dare stray.

I'm sure there's a way. I do bookmark where I've got to but have no idea how to retrieve the page if the book doesn't open at it next time. With a paper book I can hold a page open with my thumb and flick back to refer to a page already read. Really not so easy with Kindle.

Lessons please!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:56 pm

I do agree that a proper back button would be helpful - especially when you use a hyperlink from index or contents and it takes you to something you aren’t really interested in and have to look again

If I want to get back to a section I was looking at, I usually find it quite easily with this kind of detailed contents and index, or I search for a word or phrase

Postby scullion » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:08 pm

i have a pdf version on my computer.
it's easily bookmark-able and the index can be searched and flicked back to the desired recipe/subject from the index link. (it's also big enough to see, easily, while using a recipe).
the pages can be flicked forward and back with a swipe on the mouse pad then jumped back to whichever bookmarked page you want.
much easier than trying to read it on the kindle - if you haven't got a hard copy.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 pm

I was hoping you'd come up with something I'd overlooked, Sue! I agree that the front index helps and I always note the % at the bottom of the page too. It's ok but not the same as flicking! A lovely cheap way to read the Claudia Roden though. It's a great book.

scully, can you make a pdf version from a book purchased on Kindle? I suspect from your comments that you can. I must look and see if I can figure out how. That would be excellent!

Postby scullion » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:32 pm

not sure, but i can email it to you and you can transfer it to your kindle, if you want (- or keep it on your computer).
i'm more than happy to share (and no, i don't feel guilty - I've recently bought a cheap hard copy from abe and you've paid for a copy so it's not as if the royalties haven't been paid).
i've never paid for any books, from amazon, for my kindle. i decided when i got the kindle(s) that i wasn't going to give amazon any more money than necessary so i only use the kindles for free books from the kindle users forum, project Gutenberg and the online archive, ones in pdf forms i've found on the internet and ones i've been given, etc.
Last edited by scullion on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm

I find pdf quite tricky funnily enough - Kindle has accessibility options Adobe doesn't, and the zoom function is pitiful.

I also with Kindle had a choice of sans serif type other than Helvetica or Amazon bold, both of which are quite hard to read (though not as hard as old fashioned curly type) actually Amazon Bold is nasty, so blocky I can't tell the letters apart

Postby scullion » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 pm

actually, i've just had a check, it's in epub version which isn't compatible with kindle but i can change that to pdf or send it as epub.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I find pdf quite tricky funnily enough - Kindle has accessibility options Adobe doesn't, and the zoom function is pitiful.

I also with Kindle had a choice of sans serif type other than Helvetica or Amazon bold, both of which are quite hard to read (though not as hard as old fashioned curly type) actually Amazon Bold is nasty, so blocky I can't tell the letters apart

I use sans serif on Kindle too. Much, much clearer and easier to read.

Zoom on Kindle? I find if I enlarge something, like a map or illustration, it's then a pain to get it back to my preferred reading size. Maybe I'm missing something, or perhaps you've got a newer model. OH gave me mine for Christmas quite a long time ago, I think, when I was still working.

I'm sure there are loads of useful things you can do with it, that I've never ever worked out or discovered!

The really useful thing is being able to do a search on a particular name or place, if you've forgotten who it was or the relevance of the place. Also, the dictionary :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:37 pm

Thank you scully. I've got Claudia Roden on Kindle so will probably leave it at that. I just wondered if it would transfer, I haven't looked yet but probably not.

I used to use my Kindle when I travelled overseas more to read trashy books on the plane and have access to email and internet. Not much chance of that at the moment :lol:.

Postby Amyw » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:23 pm

Just bought the complete ballymaloe cookery course on kindle reduced from £40 to 99p and crazy water pickled lemons , also reduced to 99p

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:27 pm

I wondered about the Ballymaloe too, Amyw ... one of my friends is a huge fan and was given one of their courses as a present by her son.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:13 am

Amyw wrote:Just bought the complete ballymaloe cookery course on kindle reduced from £40 to 99p and crazy water pickled lemons , also reduced to 99p

I think that was one of the books that got culled from my groaning book-shelves recently ... One of several large 'coffee table' books that never got a look in ;) :roll:

Postby liketocook » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:29 am

I'm dusting off Ainsley Harriott's "Barbecue Bible" today to make the lentil, red onion and feta salad. I bought this book on a whim when it came out and discovered it's an absolute gem of a book that I've used a lot over the years.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:57 am

It really is.

Have you caught up with his new Saturday morning series?

https://www.itv.com/hub/ainsleys-food-we-love/10a0472

Postby liketocook » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:03 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:It really is.

Have you caught up with his new Saturday morning series?

https://www.itv.com/hub/ainsleys-food-we-love/10a0472

Oh thanks PP that one had completely passed me by, must add to my watch list. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Can't remember if we have mentioned the Cookbook Review blog, anyway I recommend it

But what made me think of it is that they have given a very positive review to Ching He Huang's Asian Green, which is a book I've been looking at since at present most meat and many spices used in Indian and Middle Eastern vegetarian food defeat me, but East Asian flavours are mostly fine

Anyone got this book? Thoughts?

Postby Renee » Sat May 08, 2021 6:52 pm

I already have one of Ching's books, which I love, so have been reading about the book on Amazon where you can look inside:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asian-Green-Ev ... B085ZGG1HM

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 08, 2021 7:21 pm

Thought I'd linked to the review but it's missing

Here

https://cookbookreview.blog/2021/04/29/ ... -he-huang/

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 17, 2021 8:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox