Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Is all gold leaf edible, only some recipes specify edible gold leaf.

I think all pure gold leaf is edible, but leaf not prepared and sold for food use might be contaminated with other, toxic, metals such as arsenic, cadmium and mercury; to be honest the amount ingested would be comparable to not washing root veg properly in some areas.. There are also fake gold and silver leaf made for food use, you would wnat to be sure what went into them (I'm sure eg Dr Oetker is safe)
Not sure I'd want to eat the gold leaf these lads produce, fascinating and beautiful though they are, the gold is in the little leather packets, of dubious hygiene

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:How to ruin hummus, US style
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-no ... Jm_GxkTjU4

Ha, I shouldn't have clicked on this link so soon after finishing my lunch :lol:
I can hardly even get to the end of the list without :vomit

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Sad that trashy sugary ingredients even have to be added to hummus. Sadder still that sales will probably rise. So unnecessary.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:01 am

Discuss.....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58951984

Those bizarre sweet hummus's have just turned my stomach

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:58 am

The hummus flavours are sweet, vegan-friendly and gluten-free. That ticks several boxes for some people. Doubtless they'd count towards your five-a-day and add fibre to the diet. Almost a health food then... :D

East Asian cuisines include sweetened bean paste in desserts, not so dissimilar. Perhaps the mistake is calling it hummus, but at least that is a familiar concept and might help the marketing, albeit not to us lot.

I remember yonks ago reading somewhere that one of the global fast food chains put much more sugar in their US coleslaw than the UK version. I make a bit of coleslaw and it has never occurred to me to add sugar but of course it's present in commercial salad dressings that I do use.

Postby mistakened » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am

I remember seeing Ina Garten on the Food Channel. She was involved in a fund raiser for the local voluntary fire fighter and appalled to see someone putting sugar in a potato salad.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 am

Zosh, your article is a step nearer to the abolition of cash (not to mention jobs and the social need for interaction with people and assistance when needed). Worrying on many counts - but on the other hand so liberating if you have a full bank account, a separate social life and full use of your faculties. I think it will become the norm, in 'express' outlets at least. I wonder if there is a security guard.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:43 am

Friends who spent a few years in the States took some HM sausage rolls to a party. The locals were amazed that they weren't sweet. I suppose they put syrup on bacon and sausages (as opposed to mustard or gold leaf :D ).

I've noticed that French toast with bacon and syrup is becoming more common on breakfast menus over here.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:01 am

In a country where heart disease, diabetes etc is becoming more and more prevalent, I find it astounding and rather sad that more and more of these products and dishes are being offered for sale and being snapped up (many under the guise of a healthy plant based diet). It's so hard for people to accept the long term effect of everything they eat so it seems particularly cruel.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:24 am

It should be pointed out that per capita daily sugar consumption in the U.K. is still lower than it was 50years ago, largely due to people not drinking half a dozen sweetened hot drinks through the day, but of course we don’t want to put the sugar back by stealth in dressings and savoury snacks

What we don’t need is the sort of hysteria spread by some self-appointed food gurus (looking at you Aseem) that demonises the use of a single tsp of sugar in a tomato sauce for 4 portions, ignoring that on another day à it wouldn’t have been used as the tomatoes would have already had more natural sugar

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Rainbow wrote:
scullion wrote:How do you make your own glass beads - sounds interesting?

by melting glass, with a gas torch, round a bit of stainless steel welding rod covered in bead release and allowing them to cool slowly in either a tub of mica or in an annealing kiln.
we had a burglary a couple of decades ago that caused a chain of events. a link in the middle of the chain was realising i had the equipment and then buying a book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Glass-Beads-Beadwork-Books/dp/1887374167/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=making+glass+beads+jenkins&qid=1634650340&sr=8-3
and later another, more comprehensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Flame-Beadmakers-Detail-Design/dp/0972660208/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=passing+the+flame+beadmaker&qid=1634650499&sr=8-1
(i didn't pay that much for it!).
making them is far easier than you'd think.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:21 pm

Noooo ... Millionaires Shortbread and Lemon Meringue Pie made from squashed biscuits is a big step too far! (I always eat the base of cheesecake first so that it doesn't spoil the rest ;)).

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:47 pm

oooooo Spanish D-i-L loves bourbon biscuits! (And custard creams) That cheesecke is a MUST when they're here for Christmas!!!!

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I always eat the base of cheesecake first so that it doesn't spoil the rest.

you and me both!

Postby Rainbow » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 am

scullion wrote:by melting glass, with a gas torch, round a bit of stainless steel welding rod covered in bead release and allowing them to cool slowly in either a tub of mica or in an annealing kiln.
we had a burglary a couple of decades ago that caused a chain of events. a link in the middle of the chain was realising i had the equipment and then buying a book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Glass-Beads-Beadwork-Books/dp/1887374167/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=making+glass+beads+jenkins&qid=1634650340&sr=8-3
and later another, more comprehensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Flame-Beadmakers-Detail-Design/dp/0972660208/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=passing+the+flame+beadmaker&qid=1634650499&sr=8-1
(i didn't pay that much for it!).
making them is far easier than you'd think.

Thanks scullion. Don't think I'll try it myself but it looks interesting and I really like the results. (Glad you found the book at a better price!!)
I tend to stick to yarn based crafts - knitting, crochet and weaving at the moment.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:29 pm

Rainbow wrote:Glad you found the book at a better price!!

it was still available at the published price rather than on the second hand market when i bought it thirteen years ago - i think it now costs two or three times its original price.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:20 am

Who was it looking for a pumpikin pie recipe? Ah yes, that'll have been me. Today's Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/o ... te-cooking

This pear and coffee cobbler looks good.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/o ... ina-ebuehi

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox