Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby miss mouse » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:10 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Just saw this - sadly, it's been a very, very, very long time since I bought a baguette in France :(

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -baguettes

Echoed. What a disaster.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:51 am

Jay understands what’s wrong with (mainly unintentionally) ageist restaurants

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/j ... jay-rayner

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:51 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:14 am

Sue's Jay article .... yes, add portion sizes too to those restaurants who are overly generous!

Can see how Buy Nothing slightly differs to similar ventures. It reminds me most of our local FB page which has created a good community and there's a good deal of giving oddment away. It does seem as though making such things inclusive (welcoming) to all can be a hurdle but not through want of trying.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:19 pm

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:12 pm

Interesting that one of his chefs is Sertaç Dirik, who has taken over one of our local kebab houses from his father and turned into Turkish influenced fine dining (Mangal 2 on Stoke Newington Road), Jay wasn’t that complimentary when he reviewed it but perhaps it was a case of giving notes to someone who clearly could respond

Haven’t been to the new version, went to the old one quite often, sometimes coinciding with Gilbert and George

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:14 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:07 am

Oooh, I'm tempted by all those!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:15 pm

Mushroom and pepper goulash from Rachel Roddy.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/j ... hia-istria

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:32 am

Food for thought. How posh are you? :). I thought that some of the foods mentioned were 'peasant' staples (lentils for instance).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ss-britain

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:55 pm

Jonathan Nunn is usually pretty good, and I think he’s spot on here, though I think the middle class elevation of “authentic, rustic, peasant food” dates back to David, Grigson, and even things like Jocasta Innes “Poor Cook”
I think his list - quinoa, polenta, sun-dried tomatoes, coffee, loose-leaf tea, coriander seeds, gnocchi, kidneys, goji berries, hummus, falafel, lentils, croissants, muesli, wine, tofu, soy milk, oat milk, almond milk, avocados- is pretty good, when I was growing up neither the middle class nor the working class parts of my family routinely ate pulses apart from canned soup and baked beans, I think rationing had put people off, though they were probably drifting away from them, and the association with “weird vegetarians” didn’t help. Micky Flanagan, the comedian has a couple of good routines about this, his family were Billingsgate porters so solidly urban working class.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 pm

We continued with cheap, nourishing food into much of my childhood. Lentils, split peas etc were sold loose in our shop in the 60s and were bought regularly by ordinary people of all types for thick soups, pease puddings etc. Most offal seemed pretty normal too. We often had fried or braised kidneys (depending on the animal) but I think often liver was the only offal eaten. All the other things on the list have been imported from overseas in more recent years as demand, production and transportation methods changed. Not really surprising they weren't more commonplace before that.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:17 pm

Off the top of my head - tripe - eaten raw with vinegar and pepper, heart, kidney, pepper sold loose - and broken biscuits.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:57 pm

We had dried green peas for pea soup, yellow split peas for pease pudding, or adding to stews, and butter beans for stews or as a vegetable. Offal was pretty commonplace; all my Primary schoolfriends' mums (obviously) would have cooked Kate & Sidney, liver & bacon and stuffed hearts. Clearly though, my parents' generation were less keen on tripe, chitterlings, brains, melts and sweetbreads than their own parents had been. When I started cooking the bulk of the food at home, I was self-taught. School cookery lessons were not generally offered to boys. I don't think there was a big problem if the parents insisted that their son did cookery, but I imagine it was viewed with suspicion. :roll:

As for growing your own, we had allotments in Edmonton over 4 generations of working-class households (From Great-grandad coming from Ireland in the 19th century to me in the 1980s) and I've since got another plot elsewhere as a middle-class one. There are loads of sites in affluent and less wealthy areas, so I'm not so sure that holds up.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:01 pm

Thankfully the tripe probably wasn’t raw - like black pudding it is boiled pretty thoroughly by the butcher or tripe dresser before sale

I think one reason we didn’t use pulses much was that we weren’t a soup eating family, my father came from a very poor background, his father was a coal hewer, the least well paid of miners, his mother cooked on the open fire because they had no range or stove until they moved in 1932, dad would have regarded a main course of soup based on pulses as a sign of low wages this week (he got a good salary); a friend of our age brought up among Sunderland shipyard workers says the same, they expected a good portion of meat followed by a pudding 7 days a week, the only reason not to have meat or fish was extreme poverty.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:41 pm

Nigel’s baked roots with curry cream looks good.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/j ... urry-cream

Postby Suelle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Nigel’s baked roots with curry cream looks good.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/j ... urry-cream

Serving grated vegetables with rice doesn't give much textural variation. Not much protein either, if it's a main course dish, although as a side dish to meat (or a meat alternative) it would be OK.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pm

Felicity's perfect Boston baked beans.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/j ... ity-cloake

Postby Renee » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:16 pm

Thanks for the Lunar New Year recipes PP! They all look so good!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox