Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Renee » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:38 am

Wow! Nice to see you Smitch!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:17 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Smitch is in today's Guardian. :o :o :o

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ferret-rat

Amazing!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Roast pepper, tuna and anchovy toasts from Rachel Roddy. Yum.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... chel-roddy

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:34 pm

A posh version of Toast Toppers! Looks good, not 100% sure about whizzed up tinned tuna - would have to try it!

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:42 pm

Toastie Toppers................!!!! There's a blast from the past - used to love them when in college - bit like fray Bentos pies - 'orrible thought now tho'! Are they still produced?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:A posh version of Toast Toppers! Looks good, not 100% sure about whizzed up tinned tuna - would have to try it!

Until I read the recipe I assumed they were whizzed with the red peppers, which sounded a bit dodgy, but in practice it's a fish pâté, we used to make a potted tuna which was quite similar and very good

Posh Shippham's fish paste really (and I like that - or did last time I had it)

Postby liketocook » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:31 pm

Thought the recipe looked very good though I'd probably use jarred peppers for ease.
I used love a toast topper especially the mushroom one with extra cheese sprinkled on top before grilling, they were always a Saturday night treat while watching the TV (usually "Thriller" or "Tales of the unexpected"!) if my Dad was working. My Mum and I would have it after my younger siblings were in bed and I felt incredibly grown up. :lol: They would seem to be discontinued which is probably just as well as I really don't want to know what was in them :shock: but they were fab at the time. :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:53 pm

We used to have them or cheese on toast for tea at weekends in front of the TV when the children were young ltc!

I suppose the tuna thing is a bit like paste. What a treat that was! (Not such a treat passing the Shippams factory first thing in the morning when pregnant though :lol:.). I've been watching some Shippams archive films on FB recently - the ingredients and processes were so wholesome!

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:05 am

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:06 pm

Milk substitutes in tea.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/commen ... experience

I have no experience of these. I'm a Rooibos drinker and have it neat.

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:46 pm

i don't drink tea either - but she doesn't look like she enjoys food of any sort, to me.
bit of a 'non' article if you ask me. i hope they didn't pay her very much for it.

how do you feel about your ice cream now?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/15/scientists-convert-used-plastic-bottles-into-vanilla-flavouring

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:52 pm

I disagree actualy. She used to write a foodie-type blog when she lived in Paris and Belgium. She has suffered tremendous trauma in her life due to the sudden, horrifically accidental death of her mother which has led to her having severe alopecia and other health issues.

I think she writes terrifically well. She is especially good on tortoises. (Pets, not for eating).

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:10 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I think she writes terrifically well.

i'd have to read more from her to change my opinion, i didn't think that one was very good - not really informative or entertaining - but tastes are subjective (both for writing style and plant milk).
her life history (and bad choice in wigs) may warrant a bit of sympathy but is irrelevant - and wouldn't change my opinion of her writing (from that article) either.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:10 pm

I thought the article was a bit weak and whingey. Firstly, there must be over a dozen different types of plant-based milk ( and probably more), yet she only mentioned oat, soy, coconut and rice. What about almond? Sesame? Hemp? Flaxseed?
She only mentions pea milk ( with a name like that, the mind boggles) in passing.
Then we get some unwelcome insights into her physical reactions, which is not very nice for breakfast, thank you. The article is supposedly about milk substitutes, not her physiological state.
Finally - and something which left me with my mouth open - she says she´s addicted to tea but ultra-sensitive to tannins. :shock: Tea has loads of tannins in it. Her statement is like someone saying " I smoke 2 packs a day but I´ve got lung cancer". Don´t drink tea then, missus - change to orange juice, or something else!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:17 pm

Hey I read it, and was left thinking the obvious = drink your tea black. It's nice that way.

I've just discovered pea milk - it's a shame it's expensive as it's delicious.
Hemp too.
Almond hemp and pea are my not milk drinks of choice.

I vary them due to offers, sometimes my favourites are just too pricey.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Give her some slack. Get to know her guys. It wasn’t in the Food section, it was in Opinions. She tweets a lot and has been trying out all sorts of substitutes with her husband and two boys, not all mentioned by the G who I presume commissioned her for a restricted number of words. . She has a humorous tilt and doesn’t always take herself too seriously. But she really does know her food.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:04 pm

I read this earlier. I don't think there is a good substitute for cow's milk in bog standard tea. It's something you forego if you give up milk IMO. I drink cow's milk but rarely have any on the go so drink coffee most of the time which I like black. Earl Grey, Lapsang and the many herbal teas and tisanes don't need it.

I don't know the author but that's not the point. If you go vegan or can't have dairy you have to give some things up.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:55 pm

As one who drinks neither milk (I use it in cooking) nor tea I thought the first paragraph was quite good, after that I naturally lost interest

All the soya milks and desserts I’ve ever had have had a nasty aftertaste but Oatly is ok for me

When I have flirted with tea drinking I’ve added a slice of lemon rather than milk

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:28 am

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:41 am

First Bob Dylan, now Delia. How can it be possible? :lol:

What an amazing, lucky career! The only recipe which failed me was her watercress soup.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox