Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:44 am

There used to be one or two restaurants of note in Cheltenham talked about on the Beeb board I seem to remember, of which L'Artisan was one. Several members, some now sadly departed, had connections there.

The Climatarian diet is interesting isn't it. Back to the food of 50s childhoods with grim vegetables in the middle of winter and the incentive to bottle berries and make pickles in summer to help get through those dark days. I suppose no more tangerines or exotic dried fruits at Christmas, swede instead of oranges for vitamin C and certainly no pulled jackfruit :lol: . The Iron age cookery course I did was good and used mainly foods available here but even they used meat and dairy products, at least for some of the time. I wish I liked mushy peas more and am glad I like swede.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Some of the climatarian article made me LOL. :lol: :lol:

Felicity makes Vegetable Biryani.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/n ... ity-cloake

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:23 pm

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:32 pm

I felt similarly bereft when Charlie Chan's in Cambridge shut. I'd been going there for forty years, since I was a student.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:56 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:04 pm

That’s probably a nice veg pâté. But it wouldn’t be a lot like foie gras!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:05 pm

I don't know if it's anything like Foie Gras but it looks delicious in its own right! I'm going to try it.

Postby scullion » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:28 pm

snap - having never eaten foie gras i wouldn't know how much of a difference there was - other than to the goose...
it's saved to my recipe folder.

Postby Kacey » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:30 pm

I've been making something very similar (minus the cognac) for years, its called lentil pate in this house.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Fascinating! And nice of him to allow it to be shared instead of that "secret recipe" thing :D :D

Postby liketocook » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:17 pm

I've made this recipe a good few times and it's very good (both veggie & vegan versions) https://www.davidlebovitz.com/faux-gras ... te-recipe/ .
Almost identical to the Guardian recipe so I suspect, although not credited, from the same source then slightly tweaked https://www.amazon.com/dp/1615192514?ta ... amp=211189

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:02 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm surprised they use quince without other fruit (such as pears ) as they are usually quite bland on their own. The lemon juice must make the difference.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:22 pm

Just came across the latest Felicity: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/n ... asterclass

She suggests using a food processor to cut the potatoes but when I did this the first time I made it (in pre-history :D ) they were a disaster - they never cooked - and I've never tried to slice them in the magimix again!

I was convinced that something weird had happened to the texture of the potatoes.

Do tell me if you've been successful and I'll try again :)

Reading her instructions, I think it might be that I didn't blanch them before baking them ....

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:50 pm

I always use a Magimix to slice veg and so on and it actually works for small salami and things. Not being able to see well, I can do it with a knife but it takes me a long time, and the Japanese finger slicer like the one in the picture, is not allowed near me.

My only problem with using a processor is that it would be better if the feed tube were wider from back to front, after all potatoes are circular in cross-section.

I thought the method was interesting and would work but I agree with a lot of the below the line comments. Cheese does not go in dauphinoise but only in Savoyarde. I think very waxy potatoes potatoes like Charlotte are a bit too firm and it’s better to use something like Desiree or Bintje. I also agree with those who say you don’t need to parboil you, just layer up and cook slowly. Several people commented that the instructions tell you to cover with foil but of course you should use a lid if you have one and it’s not the first recipe I’ve seen recently that specifies foil where it’s not particularly necessary, odd

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Ah, good to know you use the magimix, Sue, will definitely give it another chance.

One of the down sides of the magimix is the flat bit that's always left at the bottom, beneath the lid/plunger - I haven't yet quite worked out a reliable method for dealing with that :?:

Postby Busybee » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:20 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Ah, good to know you use the magimix, Sue, will definitely give it another chance.

One of the down sides of the magimix is the flat bit that's always left at the bottom, beneath the lid/plunger - I haven't yet quite worked out a reliable method for dealing with that :?:

In this house Its either cooks or dogs perk depending on what’s being sliced, shredded, grated etc.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:32 pm

I don’t know which model you have Sue but when the bowl on mine ( 4200)? snapped for the third time in thirty years they sold me an upgrade kit. I’m not desperately happy with it but the feed tube is enormous!

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:40 pm

Yes, when I got my new one for my 60th from my sister and cousin, I had to choose between one with a mammoth funnel and the normal sized one.
I decided on the normal one. I think it was also the bowl size - i would have had to get the bigger size and really felt we didn't need it. We'd managed perfectly well with the original Magimix all the time the boys were at home and really don't need a greater capacity now it's just the two of us (most of the time!)

It does have a parmesan grater, which is good for larger quantities of parmesan but not worth using for the everyday amounts.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox