Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby miss mouse » Tue May 25, 2021 6:22 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
My toaster (from JL iirc) only seems to toast on one side these days, even though when I peer into the depths, both sides seem to be glowing :? :roll:

That is the way of toasters IME. The best we ever had was the cheapest ever, Swan I think, about a fiver at the time. Next was a super-expensive job which was useless.

Postby Wic » Tue May 25, 2021 7:26 pm

Same here, Miss Mouse. We suffered with a Dualit for years, it never toasted well, then, in desperation, we got the cheapest Phillips. It’s brilliant!

Postby aero280 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:45 pm

When I was very young, the electricity voltage varied from place to place. Plymouth was largely 200 volts and not 230/240v. it was uprated and the electricity supplier reckoned that almost all appliances would work without and problem, which turned out to be the case.

But we had an old toaster, one of those with drop down sides. When things went up to 240v, you could toast a slice as fast as you could put the bread in!! :o Turn on toaster, put bread in one side, put bread in the other side and bread on the first side was ready to turn over. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 25, 2021 10:43 pm

There's a posh Tofu Vegan restaurant opened in Islington, it's at 105 Upper Street, almost opposite the town Hall

https://london.eater.com/2021/5/24/2245 ... ng-noodles

Looks interesting, but I notice the premises used to be Strada, which is now down to only a couple of sites
I was always surprised it made a living just there, opposite Carluccio's, just along from La Porchetta and another independent doing th esame thing better

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 26, 2021 1:50 pm

Felicity's Roast Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... ity-cloake

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 27, 2021 9:45 am

Tahini: if you love it as much as I do you might like the look of these recipes. I don't think anyone's posted it before.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... s-blondies

Postby mistakened » Thu May 27, 2021 11:08 am

I can recommend tahini in Blondies

Moira

Postby scullion » Thu May 27, 2021 11:26 am

it's rather nice just spread on bread or toast.
i have started making humous with a couple of quarters of preserved lemon (well washed) instead of with the lemon juice and salt. it gives it an extra zing.
i hadn't realised that we'd run out of tahini when i made the batch last week so used some toasted sesame oil in its place. it was really nice and was much lighter in texture.
unlike one of f.c's references, i use tinned chickpeas nowadays. far easier, quicker - and i haven't noticed any difference in taste but i do prefer the texture of the resultant humous.

i like the idea of the 'thins'.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 29, 2021 7:45 pm

How about this description of a "meatball" , then? A bit over the top, don´t you think? :lol:
Bola-bola, the Filipino catch-all term for meatballs, are sort of like lumpia without the spring roll wrapper. Each oil-slicked sphere is sheathed in a crusty cortex of deep-fried splendor, with every bite unlocking a juicy center bursting with rich aromatic flavors and deep notes of salty umami. My perfect meatball.

This was from Bon Appetit magazine, but I can only imagine the writer got carried away!

Postby jeral » Sun May 30, 2021 11:04 am

Ms Lawson wannabe? I've got the urge to make doughnuts today for some reason but not if they'll turn out as oil-slicked spheres :(

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 30, 2021 11:17 am

Whatever happened to 'Keep It Simple,Stupid'?

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:53 am

karadekoolaid wrote:How about this description of a "meatball" , then? A bit over the top, don´t you think? :lol:
Bola-bola, the Filipino catch-all term for meatballs, are sort of like lumpia without the spring roll wrapper. Each oil-slicked sphere is sheathed in a crusty cortex of deep-fried splendor, with every bite unlocking a juicy center bursting with rich aromatic flavors and deep notes of salty umami. My perfect meatball.

This was from Bon Appetit magazine, but I can only imagine the writer got carried away!

Worthy of Pseuds Corner :lol:

Postby scullion » Sun May 30, 2021 12:10 pm

shame they didn't continue the alliterations - like 'every mouthful manumitting a moist middle' ...

ok, manumitting may not be strictly appropriate by why let that spoil a good idea or 'floury' (keeping it food related) sentence‽

Postby jeral » Sun May 30, 2021 12:50 pm

scullion wrote:shame they didn't continue the alliterations - like 'every mouthful manumitting a moist middle' ...

OK, I'll play :mrgreen:
"my meatball mouthfuls manifesting memorable moist middle magnificence, memorably more-ish".

Edit PS: and still not advancing any useful info like what the meatballs are made from and flavourings to savour.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 30, 2021 6:30 pm

Pastila. Has anyone here eaten or made this? There is a recipe at the end of the article.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/h ... ke-pastila

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 30, 2021 6:51 pm

No, never had it or made it, it seems to be desiccated apple snow

Surely would be a lot easier to use a mouli to prepare the purée?

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:59 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:23 am

I just came across this and found it very interesting - it had certainly never occurred to me that you could make crispy fried garlic in the microwave!
https://bit.ly/3ccO5e3

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Nigella has guests this week. Italian flag based pasta.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/guests/ ... aked-pasta

Felicity’s fool (I can’t get yogurt past OH).

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... asterclass

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:46 am

KeenCook2 wrote:I just came across this and found it very interesting - it had certainly never occurred to me that you could make crispy fried garlic in the microwave!
https://bit.ly/3ccO5e3

That’s well worth a try but I’ve never seen crispy garlic made with minced garlic before, always in fine slices

I occasionally make Burmese food and the crispy fried garlic is sliced and fried in a wok, then the flavoured oil is used for the next stir fry

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox