Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Suelle » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:21 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I’m fine with chocolate and orange, less keen on chocolate and mint, though I don’t mind the occasional after dinner mint

Me too! I like mint chocolates, such as after dinner mints, but hate mint in chocolate desserts, as well as mint and chocolate chip ice cream.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:01 pm

I'll have the mint - you can have my orange. Funnily enough, lemon is fine! I really prefer caramel, maple, coffee kind of flavours with chocolate.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:10 pm

Ha, I'm really not keen on any of the chocolate adulterations but I will eat them if there's nothing else :lol: I'm even like that with liquor chocolates, which I would never ever choose of my own accord, but somehow, if they arrive in our house I usually manage to chomp my way through them! I'm like that with sherry trifle as well - kind of don't really like it and avoid it out of choice, but if needs must, and pudding just has to be consumed, I will selflessly make my contribution - for the greater good, of course :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:18 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I'll have the mint - you can have my orange. Funnily enough, lemon is fine! I really prefer caramel, maple, coffee kind of flavours with chocolate.

I agree , I’m not massively keen on fruit with chocolate at all .

Heinz Chicken and veg big soup was my comfort food when I was little my mum used to give me . Nothing mind blowing taste wise , but I had some this year and it was still pretty good

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:35 pm

Scottish halibut. I read this for free, didn't have to give any details but can't guarantee that for others obvs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/29/dini ... Position=1

I think halibut is probably my favourite white fish.

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:51 pm

I couldn't read it - is it about the Gigha halibut? Halibut's my favourite fish too. Years ago, you used to be able to easily get plump steaks but it all seems to be fillets today. Shows how much excessive fishing has reduced the age - and hence size - of the fish they catch.

Postby liketocook » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:27 pm

It was referencing this place https://www.gighahalibut.co.uk/ and Inver restaurant Pampy.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:50 pm

I'd like to try smoked halibut and halibut roe.

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:56 pm

liketocook wrote:It was referencing this place https://www.gighahalibut.co.uk/ and Inver restaurant Pampy.

I thought it would be the Gigha company. It's fish is really nice - I have some in my freezer at the moment.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:07 pm

Very, very tempted to give this a try! https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/d ... ity-cloake

I've never had it so have nothing to compare it with.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:15 pm

Not come across the Basque cheese cake, but I've had the classic gateau Basque a few times, this version id described as Spanish, but it happens in the French pays Basque too

https://spanishsabores.com/gateau-basqu ... sque-cake/

Postby Amyw » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:21 pm

I’ve seen the Basque cheesecake a few times on Instagram and agree it looks amazing and quite appealing in it’s simplicity, when you see some of the extravagant things around now

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:40 pm

Nigella did one in her last book. I am not persuaded by the liquorice.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/basque-burnt-cheesecake

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:21 pm

It seems very similar to a New York 'Jewish' cheesecake but without a base or modern additions of vanilla or lemon (which I don't remember when I was first served it in the 60s). I should think it's very good - Felicity went for quite a lot of sugar I thought.

I'm not persuaded by the licquorice either.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:44 pm

Funnily enough my objection to Whitechapel kosher cheesecakes when I met them ca 1972 was that they were too lemony, I think lemon essence was often involved, Kossoff's on Middlesex Street sometimes reeked of it, though they texture of their cheesecake remains unsurpassed

Postby Uschi » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:36 am

It looks similar to a Meissen cheesecake that bakes its own base.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Funnily enough my objection to Whitechapel kosher cheesecakes when I met them ca 1972 was that they were too lemony, I think lemon essence was often involved, Kossoff's on Middlesex Street sometimes reeked of it, though they texture of their cheesecake remains unsurpassed

I met them about the same time, when I worked at The London Hospital (Not Royal back then!) around 1972-73.
Thought they were delicious, but don't remember about the lemon essence taste.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:35 am

I still ate them and enjoyed them but Rayner’s lemon essence was pretty ubiquitous!

You wouldn’t recognise the London now, there has been a lot of building over the last 10 years

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:56 am

Winter villages.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021 ... -and-drink

Are they as naff as they sound?

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:12 am

Glorified Christmas markets?
The trouble with Christmas markets is that they are all similar so I applaud anyone who's taken it to a new level (but that level will then become jaded). Our nearest market is in Bath. The first few years it was great but now, even though greatly expanded, it just feels like the same old stuff. DD andi I walked along the South Bank market huts recently and it was just the same. I imagine it is more exciting (and colder) at night when the lights are on and you are ready for some of the hot food on offer.

Even lit up woodland is becoming a bit overdone now. They're even doing it in our local park this year. We went to Kew a few years ago, it was lovely but I wouldn't want to go back every year.

With regard to little huts or igloos that seat 6 and are supposed to be an answer to Covid mixing - I do wonder how well sanitised they are between customers.

That all said, I do quite like the lights and jollity these things provide!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox