Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 am

Recipes from Nigel Slater’s new book.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... ke-recipes

And recipes from Claudia Roden.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... rk-recipes

Chocolate and pickled pear frangipane tart.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... ipane-tart

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:33 am

I was just reading the piece about Claudia Roden's book. Thought it sounded rather good.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:00 pm

Stuffed red pepper rolls from Rachel Roddy.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... chel-roddy

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:59 pm

Those are in Five Quarters, they look good, would be great for a bring a dish buffet

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:20 pm

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:08 pm

Yes, I caught the vinegar one - I thought it was very interesting and quite helpful. More use than some of that series have been!

I'm afraid I never do recipes that need peeled peppers - or if I do, I just don't peel them. It's one of those odd hang-ups that I've never overcome :oops: :oops: Not sure why :?: It's obviousy not in the same category as peeling chickpeas for hummus :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 pm

I think peeling charred peppers is fine, and you can always use good ones from a jar instead

Wouldn't attempt to peel any that hadn't been charred then left to cool though :o

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:23 pm

KeenCook2 wrote: I'm afraid I never do recipes that need peeled peppers - or if I do, I just don't peel them. It's one of those odd hang-ups that I've never overcome

You're not alone. It always looks so messy either holding them over a flame or messing about with plastic bags - but is probably ok really!

I thought the vinegar article interesting too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:43 pm

I tend do do them under the grill, though will do it over the flame if only one, I think the direct heat gives a more reliable char than in the fan oven

No need to mess about with plastic bags or, as the French cousins do, wrap in newspaper; you just need to cover them enough for their own steam to loosen the skins - in a bowl with a plate over it, or if doing a few in the grill pan, just shove a baking sheet over it and leave until nearly cold

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:35 pm

Sadly, our grill, which is in the fan oven, is unusable :cry: The smoke and stink when we try to use it is impossible. I really miss our old-fashioned self-standing (is that what they're called?) gas cookers that had an eye-level grill :(

Postby miss mouse » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I tend do do them under the grill, though will do it over the flame if only one, I think the direct heat gives a more reliable char than in the fan oven

No need to mess about with plastic bags or, as the French cousins do, wrap in newspaper; you just need to cover them enough for their own steam to loosen the skins - in a bowl with a plate over it, or if doing a few in the grill pan, just shove a baking sheet over it and leave until nearly cold

The grill in my fairly new gas cooker does not/refuses to work. After char-ing I put them in a saucepan with a lid on. Easy as anything.

Goodness, wrap in newspaper, does that work?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:23 am

miss mouse wrote:Goodness, wrap in newspaper, does that work?

That is a method often recommended in France, if it keeps the steam in it should work

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 am

i made the claudia roden tomato and pepper salad, that was in a link the other day, which called for peeled peppers. her method was simple - worked fine in a fan oven - while i got on with the rest of the cooking.
i'd never peeled peppers before. i'm still not really convinced that it's a necessity though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:11 am

scullion wrote:i made the claudia roden tomato and pepper salad, that was in a link the other day, which called for peeled peppers. her method was simple - worked fine in a fan oven - while i got on with the rest of the cooking.
i'd never peeled peppers before. i'm still not really convinced that it's a necessity though.

I think for me it’s not so much about setting out to peel the peppers, as setting out to char them for flavour

If, as I do, you get them really black and blistered you definitely don’t want to eat the skins, leaving them on isn’t a viable option

My local deli has recently had on offer the Odysea Flame Roasted Red Peppers in jars, just the right amount of char and a sensible size of jar if you don’t want to diy - I think it even works out cheaper sometimes

https://www.odysea.com/product/odysea-r ... pers-450g/

Postby scullion » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:21 am

Stokey Sue wrote:If, as I do, you get them really black and blistered you definitely don’t want to eat the skins, leaving them on isn’t a viable option

that wasn't even on my radar - it wouldn't occur to me that anyone would want to eat charred skins!
i meant peeling peppers for anything.
i didn't notice that much of a flavour change from charring in the finished dish - maybe because the tomatoes were quite flavoursome.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:53 pm

Yes, I know what you mean Scully - I often char tomatillos for flavour but sometimes don't and can't say I really miss it. IMHO, there's no doubt that baba ghanoush benefits from charred aubergine.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:35 pm

That's interesting, BM, as the last batch of tomatillo salsa I made I roasted them in the oven with onion and left them a bit too long - the taste was great, but the colour wasn't exactly inviting!

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:11 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:51 pm

Just in case anyone's in the Bath area this weekend - I only found out about this on an email just now but there's still Sunday!

https://www.greatbathfeast.co.uk/

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox