Register

Halogen oven/Air Fryer?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Halogen oven/Air Fryer?

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:04 pm

After what Gill said, I decided to go for another halogen oven. It arrived this afternoon. It was heavy! I'm really happy that I got another halogen oven because I was really missing my old one.

Here it is:

https://www.pickireviews.co.uk/halogen- ... %20cookers.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:25 am

That looks great, Renee.
Tell me, if you wanted to make a lasagne for example in the halogen, is there a way you do it?
Can you put a round dish in there.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:01 pm

Yes, you just treat it like a normal oven Gill, so long as the dish will fit. You can remove the racks and just use it as a large electric pot!

I looked at the instruction book and it is also described as an air fryer, so I've got two in one if you see what I mean!

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:57 am

my partner uses the large bowls of halogen ovens as heat traps. he has a few.
he picked up a large and a small, working ones recently, cheaply via f.book marketplace and i have commandeered the large one with the agreement that he uses the bowl if/when he needs it (he mainly wanted the small one along with the glass 'halo' fixed to the lid).
one has come with a hamlyn cook book but that's quite meat heavy.
so, does anyone have any 'other' recipes, tips etc on how to use it? our combo oven died a bit ago and i have been fancying a pasty - does it bake that sort of thing ok?

(i was about to start another thread but thought i might as well tack it onto this one.)

Postby DEB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:25 pm

hi

I have not tried to use such an over but I found this

http://halogenovenrecipes.co.uk/?page=1

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi. No special recipes needed, just reduce heat by 10C and/or possibly for less time.

Yes, pasties, pies, small loaves etc can be baked. However, as the heat is top down, I use the bottom grid and if a large item use the extender ring. If the top is getting browned too quickly, I pin foil or greaseproof over it, making sure it's tucked under the dish or grid rails or it'll fly up to the top due to extraction fan.

Some things like bought pasties or bought crumbed fish, I start upside down and turn over half way through.

Anything that takes longer than about 45 mins, or long slow like casseroles, I reckon are cheaper done on the hob or easier done in a normal oven. That's just me though as they could be done in a halogen.

Mine's 12L. I imagine even more cautionary temps and times might apply to the smaller version but that's a guess.

I don't really use mine for multi-tiered cooking, despite the ridiculously crammed full advert pics. Two things: not convinced the airflow can get round properly, plus it's a hassle taking a loaded top grid out to fiddle about with the bottom one so use the normal oven if doing a lot of things.

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:51 pm

I use mine a lot for grilling because I can see exactly what is happening. The only thing that I don't like about this one is that the top isn't hinged, so I have to place it on the stand that came with it.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Renee wrote:I use mine a lot for grilling because I can see exactly what is happening. The only thing that I don't like about this one is that the top isn't hinged, so I have to place it on the stand that came with it.

On the 'Instant Pot' FB Group, the question of air-fryers is a current hot topic as IP have just brought out their own version of an all-in-one pot that can now slow, pressure, saute, steam, sous-vide AND now Crisp (aka Air fry) cook... One of the discussions was about which air fryers are better and whether the lid came off or didn't was seen either as a plus or a minus :roll: :?

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:04 pm

On my Actifry, the lid is hinged but most of it can be unclipped for cleaning.

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:12 am

DEB wrote:hi

I have not tried to use such an over but I found this

http://halogenovenrecipes.co.uk/?page=1

thanks, i'd already looked at that, some interesting things but again quite meat heavy. there is a vegetarian cook book for the halogen oven but i think i already have too many cookery books (if i'm honest) so i suppose i will just have to have a go at using/adapting recipes that i have.
any other usage tips will be welcome.

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Re most halogens not having hinged lids (I think one or two ultra, if unnecessarily, dear ones do), I'm glad as the lids get very hot and I'd be catching and burning myself all the time taking the grids out. Mine came with a stand, but I prefer a raised trivet as the stand can wander given the weight of the lid.

I've toyed with IPs and pressure cookers but they're more for meat and slower things whereas being pesce, fish and veg are quick things comparatively so the halogen suits me. Also, it doesn't seem to "suffuse smells" (thank goodness for me, no peg needed), probably because it's extracting all the time so doesn't get a build up.

Halogens are very good for veg. Covered if needed e.g. pasta, gratins, although as the grilling effect is more pronounced roast veg or oven chips cook and crisp/brown quicker if exposed - presumably the extraction removes moist air quickly.

Perhaps look out for handy sized 8" cook pots and trays preferably with a rim that are easy to lift with the tong grip provided. Easier to manage than the full width trays supplied. Or can use a double layer of foil and tuck it under the grid bars near each end. Saves drips so don't have to wash or dishwash the bowl up as often.

Bear in mind you are delving into an oven with very hot sides so wear oven gloves if lifting a heavy pot out. Also, oven clingfilm is available (I've never used it), but do remember that it is an oven, just smaller.

Postby scullion » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:00 pm

i'm going to see how it does a blackberry and apple crumble tonight - my partner came in with a pudding bowl full of blackberries yesterday evening.

jeral wrote:Perhaps look out for handy sized 8" cook pots and trays preferably with a rim that are easy to lift [...] Bear in mind you are delving into an oven with very hot sides so wear oven gloves if lifting a heavy pot out.

we have a number of pots of the right size (and the knowledge of the heat) as my partner uses a collection of the bowls of halogen cookers for heat traps in solar cookers. usually just the bowls are advertised, when the electrics expire, but this time a complete, working one was advertised (for very little) so i have commandeered it with the proviso that he can use the bowl if necessary.

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:04 pm

My previous halogen, which was hinged, was made by Andrew James, but they seem to have closed down and they're not available any more. I do love the Tower, except for the top which has to go on the stand on the other side of the kitchen, because there is more room there. There aren't many makes available now.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:21 pm

I don´t believe I´ve ever seen a halogen oven before! They really do look rather neat; quicker, less fat and easy to clean!

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:45 pm

anybody out there
- i'm going to try cooking our arancini in the halogen oven (yes i know, i'm a heathen s**tbag) rather than deep frying them.
they are about 5-7cm in diameter and i was thinking that i would put them on at 180°c for about 20 mins - does this sound ok?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:07 am

Too late, and I don't have a halogen, but it sounds fine to me.
By the way, Sunflower gave me a tip for the airfryer, which might help the halogen. She said to put a wire fine mesh on the base, to stop sticking or sinking into the wire basket.
I got the mesh mat from a cheap store (B & M I think) and cut it to size.

It works - if the halogen oven has a wire basket that is.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:22 am

I have neither an air fryer nor a halogen oven, but the mesh mats are or were sold at Pounlnd for cooking oven chips, I got one when I needed mesh to repair something

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Too late, and I don't have a halogen, but it sounds fine to me.
By the way, Sunflower gave me a tip for the airfryer, which might help the halogen. She said to put a wire fine mesh on the base, to stop sticking or sinking into the wire basket.
I got the mesh mat from a cheap store (B & M I think) and cut it to size.

It works - if the halogen oven has a wire basket that is.

i turned the heat up to 200°c half way through as i was expecting them to brown a bit quicker. they were just done (maybe i underestimated the size of them) but still good. the ones i had on a lower level, in the bowl, i then put on the top rack for 15 mins - they were better.
the chip mesh is a good idea. i have one of the siliconised ones, that i smoke nuts on, but next time i may use the wire one that comes in the air fryer ring. they did stick to the pan a little.
learning curve!

Postby Amyw » Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm

I’ve just bought a Tefal airfryer for work . I’ve only made chips so far and was wondering if anyone had any other ideas in how to use them . Am hoping to make fried chicken in it as the clients would love them

Postby liketocook » Thu May 13, 2021 1:26 pm

I use mine pretty much as a mini oven cooking pretty much everything I would usually pop in the big oven. Chicken thighs and wings are great though better I've found with dry rub or breaded rather than wet marinade. Fab baked spuds, I microwave first then bake in the fryer for around 15 mins at 180c.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox