Register

Eggs - how do you like ´em?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Eggs - how do you like ´em?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 21, 2021 11:30 am

As mentioned on another thread I tried a bit of MSG in a basic egg & potato tortilla, did wonders

In Myanmar they sold it loose on market stalls

Postby scullion » Fri May 21, 2021 11:47 am

mine came in a packet from an asian supermarket.

although i also have a bottle of 'maggi' - which is virtually liquid umami - also at the back of the cupboard.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 21, 2021 3:15 pm

I heard that episode of the food programme on MSG.
There is a noodle bar in Loughborough that I have been to a few times; the following morning I have always been desperately thirsty and my mouth seemed to be coated with something.
I blamed the MSG.
The Food Programme made me wonder.

To stay on topic, I have just had poached egg on toast for lunch.

I have seen packets of MSG in the Asian supermarkets in Derby.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 22, 2021 8:58 pm

OK - absolutely adore a poached egg; but how long do you cook boiled eggs? Or are you like my wife, in the sense that it´s not a big issue? I´d imagine that the majority of us don´t really worry too much about it. The only reason I do mine for 5 + 5 is that I´m in love with the timer on my cooker :lol: :lol: :lol: Saves me so much time.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 22, 2021 9:50 pm

I think you might have flicked over a page Clive - I’ve certainly gone into some detail about boiled eggs, as have several others

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:27 pm

I was watching the final of Masterchef España on Wednesday. Apart from sitting with my mouth open, watching the incredible things these young folks came up with after only 3 month´s training, one of the finalists served a dish with soy-cured egg yolk. I imagine it´s just a wierd version of a pickled egg?
I´m wondering whether to give it a try, but I´ve never made one - and never eaten one.
Anyone out there tried them?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:47 pm

I thought I'd seen it but not tasted soy cured egg yolk as a Korean thing, the internet is awash with recipes, most involve mixing the soy with mirin or sake, but here's Ottolenghi's version, his recipes usually work (3rd dish down), he uses just soy to slat cure and flavour the yolks

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/a ... rs-tamales

A bit different from a pickled egg, which is boiled then soaked in vinegar (yuk)

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:39 pm

I had very good Eggs Benedict in Waitrose cafe yesterday.

Postby Amber » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:02 pm

Ooh, I love eggs benedict, but only half a muffin (or whatever) for me please. Breakfast and lunch in one :) .

Postby Amyw » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:22 pm

Going in a slightly opposite direction but one of my favourite desserts is pavlova … with really any fruit . Perfect summer dessert

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 pm

This evening we had a tortilla with sage without any potatoes - ie, onions, sage and eggs.
It was delicious with a green salad, and frozen fruit cake and vanilla ice cream for pudd ...

I think we'll stick to the no potatoes in future - we just didn't want any as they seemed too heavy on such a hot day - unless we actually want the carbs or are feeding more people. We used 5 medium eggs and there's still half left.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:51 pm

KeenCook2, did you mean tortilla or frittata? Or maybe corn tortilla? I do like sage though. I tend to fry normal onions with cumin automatically since I like the smell and taste, but sage instead will be a good way to break out of that habit especially as I have a sole red onion awaiting its fate.

I find eggs very filling so spud or bread has to be on the side. Sauteed puds do come into their own I reckon if the "body" is spud, peppers and onions say, with just enough egg drizzled over to hold them in place, so not a pie depth. Not sure about the best herb for peppers...

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:57 pm

On the proverbial question of how to poach an egg and risking boredom as done to death, I'd seen that chef thing where they first boil the egg in shell momentarily, but I couldn't figure out how on earth they peeled the shell off a still-liquid egg. It can't be of course.

However, I came across a Youtube video of Emma somebody (The Kitchn one) late last night spoofing Julia Child and seemingly it's:

- Rapid boil a room-temp egg in shell for 10 seconds, remove with slotted spoon.
- Reduce bubbling water to a simmer. ( I'd use fresh water as we don't wash eggs.)
- Simply crack egg open into simmering water.
- Remove with slotted spoon soon as cooked.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 pm

What was the benefit? I can only think to avoid making 'strings' of white maybe?

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:42 pm

jeral wrote:KeenCook2, did you mean tortilla or frittata?

i took it that it meant a spanish tortilla (spanish omelet) rather than the south american flatbread.

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:21 am

Yes earthmaiden, Other chefs on TV use a pastry cutter to remove the strings away from the neat centre. Maybe stringing might be to do with the water content of an egg so I'll test that one day by straining one first.

scullion, hopefully I'll be forgiven... You didn't say about spuds in yours though?

I made the onion & sage version tonight, although with an equal amount (by chopped volume) of chestnut mushrooms and just two large eggs (no spuds). Even so, it made 3-4 big portions.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 am

rather than the south american flatbread.

To be honest, you´ll find (corn) tortillas in Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and some parts of Costa Rica. You won´t find tortillas in South America.

Postby scullion » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:26 pm

sorry - central america.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm

jeral wrote:Yes earthmaiden, Other chefs on TV use a pastry cutter to remove the strings away from the neat centre. Maybe stringing might be to do with the water content of an egg so I'll test that one day by straining one first.

scullion, hopefully I'll be forgiven... You didn't say about spuds in yours though?

I made the onion & sage version tonight, although with an equal amount (by chopped volume) of chestnut mushrooms and just two large eggs (no spuds). Even so, it made 3-4 big portions.

God I feel positively greedy now . No way would two eggs make 3-4 portions here , single portion only !!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox