Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Just looked at my ceramic baking beans - they are indeed described on the tub as 10mm spheres, but looking at them they are only approximately spherical and the size varies a fair bit, so they pack down in a layer better than you might anticipate if regularly sized spheres

Whatever the theory, they have worked well for at least 40 years, I think I'll keep them :)

They have been through the dishwasher a few times, in a stainless steel sieve

Not sure what drove me to buy them - I suspect an early Delia effect, a lot of my baking recipes at the time came from her Evening Standard column

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 25, 2021 10:46 pm

Made some shortbread yesterday, for the first time ever, to accompany some strawberries and cream which might have gone off if I hadn´t eaten them!
The recipe was 240gms flour, 240 gms butter, 120 gms sugar and a pinch of salt. 350°F for 30-35 minutes.
I put it at 35 minutes and it burned a bit on the bottom, so next next time, 30 minutes.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 25, 2021 11:44 pm

Gosh, I don't think I've seen a recipe for equal amounts of butter and flour before. More usual 4 parts flour and up to 3 parts butter (though others may disagree). Was it hard to handle?

Postby scullion » Wed May 26, 2021 2:32 am

my baking 'beans' consist of (stoneware) vaguely round balls, stylised ducks and 2" buttons.
the latter were made to attach ceramic fibre blanket to the inside of a raku kiln - they haven't been used for that purpose yet.
i used to use kidney beans for blind baking. my stoneware selection works a little better, i would say, as it compacts less and allows a little more moisture to escape while still keeping the dough down.

Postby liketocook » Fri May 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Gosh, I don't think I've seen a recipe for equal amounts of butter and flour before. More usual 4 parts flour and up to 3 parts butter (though others may disagree). Was it hard to handle?

Me neither, I usually use 3:2:1 ratio of flour, butter and sugar.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 28, 2021 10:53 pm

Wow - thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it was difficult to manage and I was a bit surprised that some of it burned a bit - probably the excess butter, don´t you think?
Next time I´ll do the 3:2:1.
All this making sweet dishes/desserts is new to me. Thank the pandemic :shock: :lol: :lol:

Postby Wic » Sat May 29, 2021 8:25 am

I'm probably late to the bread-making party, and everyone else has known about it forever, but I’ve recently discovered Overnight Bread. I’ve made my own for years, on and off, the conventional way, and we’ve had a few flirtations with sourdough, but as we don’t eat much, (a loaf can last us three weeks), keeping the starter alive is more trouble than it’s worth. Then I read about overnight bread, which you mix up with a wooden spoon, using only ¼ tsp of yeast, leave it overnight on the kitchen side, then bake it in a Dutch Oven in the morning. Magic. The best loaves I’ve ever made.

The only trouble is, it is such nice bread, that we are eating more of it than usual ...

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 29, 2021 9:39 am

The only trouble is, it is such nice bread, that we are eating more of it than usual ...

That's a fact of bread making life. :D

Fresh bread one day, bread again the next, toast the third, repeat.

There are some leftover egg whites in the fridge and raspberries in the freezer. I intend to make friands over the weekend.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:13 pm

Wic wrote:I'm probably late to the bread-making party, and everyone else has known about it forever, but I’ve recently discovered Overnight Bread. I’ve made my own for years, on and off, the conventional way, and we’ve had a few flirtations with sourdough, but as we don’t eat much, (a loaf can last us three weeks), keeping the starter alive is more trouble than it’s worth. Then I read about overnight bread, which you mix up with a wooden spoon, using only ¼ tsp of yeast, leave it overnight on the kitchen side, then bake it in a Dutch Oven in the morning. Magic. The best loaves I’ve ever made.

Yes, Wic, we only discovered this relatively recently, too, last year, during the first lockdown! I've had to stop as we were indeed eating too much of it - just couldn't help it! You name it, with cheese, honey, marmalade, jam ... always with lots of butter ... :oops: I bake it in a regular loaf tin, rather than a cast iron casserole dish or similar. After a while I actually started using a long thin tin as the slices were smaller :roll:

ETA Nigella's lemon drizzle is in the oven ... I offered OH the choice between that, ginger biscuits or a fruit cake ... :D

Postby liketocook » Sun May 30, 2021 8:50 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Wow - thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it was difficult to manage and I was a bit surprised that some of it burned a bit - probably the excess butter, don´t you think?
Next time I´ll do the 3:2:1.
All this making sweet dishes/desserts is new to me. Thank the pandemic :shock: :lol: :lol:

Yes probably too much fat caused it to catch. 3:2:1 has never failed me and over the years I've made a lot of shortbread. :D To help get it nice and "short" after mixing (I usually use a processor these days ;) ) chill the dough for 30 mins before rolling.
Not baking as such just melting blitzing, melting, stirring and folding but I was very pleased with the raspberry and chocolate mousse cake I made for my son's birthday yesterday. My baking these days tends to be bread and "plain" stuff like scones etc. and I seldom make desserts so it was good to make something "fancier" for a change. :D
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-30 at 11.44.27[2305843009226106792].jpeg

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 30, 2021 8:52 pm

Looks very good indeed ltc!

Postby liketocook » Sun May 30, 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks EM it was delicious but very rich. Recipe said served 8 but it would easily do 12 generously IMHO.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:39 pm

ooooh, looks fab, LTC :yum :yum :yum

Postby liketocook » Mon May 31, 2021 11:33 am

Thank you :)

Postby aero280 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:14 pm

I made some Potuguese tarts earlier in the week. A new recipe and they didn't turn out well. Edible, but the pastry was overwhelmed and was cooked, but more like a suet crust... :(

However, it meant that there was a bowl of egg white left over!! :D

Waste not, want not...

IMG_3760.JPG
IMG_3760.JPG (58.87 KiB) Viewed 2766 times

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 pm

aero280 wrote:I made some Potuguese tarts earlier in the week. A new recipe and they didn't turn out well. Edible, but the pastry was overwhelmed and was cooked, but more like a suet crust... :(

However, it meant that there was a bowl of egg white left over!! :D

Waste not, want not...

IMG_3760.JPG

Address please Aero, I'll be there shortly ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Postby aero280 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:37 pm

Now with added cream. :D

Form a queue!!

IMG_3761.JPG
IMG_3761.JPG (49.37 KiB) Viewed 2759 times

Postby Pampy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:07 pm

Pick me up on the way, Slimpersoninside! :lol: :lol:

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:13 pm

Pampy wrote:Pick me up on the way, Slimpersoninside! :lol: :lol:

Sorry Pampy, I think I might have passed you by in my haste :o :lol: .

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:12 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:
Pampy wrote:Pick me up on the way, Slimpersoninside! :lol: :lol:

Sorry Pampy, I think I might have passed you by in my haste :o :lol: .

Could you save some for me, I adore meringues and these look delicious aero. :yum

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox