Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:53 am

Thank you kindly, KC2 - it looks likes something that would be a big hit round here. :D

And I see Suelle posted some comments on there but couldn't find it in the the Mainly Baking blog - did you ever make it, Sue?

Aha, just realised who Mummylark is - thanks!

Scones, cream and strawberries sound very good, Aero.

Postby Suelle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:56 am

ZeroCook wrote:.
Thank you kindly, KC2 - it looks likes something that would be a big hit round here. :D

And I see Suelle posted some comments on there but couldn't find it in the the Mainly Baking blog - did you ever make it, Sue?

Aha, just realised who Mummylark is - thanks!

Scones, cream and strawberries sound very good, Aero.

I make something very similar, but not using polenta. The filling can be varied according to taste, as long as it's not too juicy, and nuts can be added to the topping, as in this recipe, but are optional too:

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2020/ ... -cake.html
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:17 am

I like the idea of a rosemary aroma in a plum cake … but I’m not sure about his method. I remember using a recipe for sponge cakes where scented pelargonium leaves were put on the bottom of a sandwich cake tin under the grease proof paper circle … the scent of the leaves perfumed the sponge cake. I think I’d do similar with rosemary sprigs.
Last edited by Suffs on Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:07 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Aha, just realised who Mummylark is - thanks!

Doh, me too ... :roll: I hadn't looked any further than the recipe itself and didn't 2 + 2 ... no hope for me :D :lol:

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:58 pm

Thanks Sue, that does looks really good as does your rhubarb version. Mr0 could eat that sort of thing until the cows come home so I now have a to do list of recipes. I still have a bag of lockdown frozen prepped apple slices that need using. Blueberry followed by apple and cranberry followed by rhubarb. Sorted for month or so 8-)

Good idea, that, Suffs, for cake aroma. I can't help thinking that rosemary and plums are a bit odd tho. Anyone game to try it? Having said that, it might work if served with whipped cream or a la mode - going along the aromatic rosemary honey route ...

Postby aero280 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:28 pm

We ran out of bread this afternoon. :oops: :oops: A new loaf is going to be proving overnight. We were going to have soup for supper.

So for supper I had some puff pastry that was just past is best before date and some veg that was getting tired, so I threw it all in and I hope it tastes OK...

IMG_3946.JPG
IMG_3946.JPG (90.89 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:40 pm

Looks lovely, aero, and I've used bought, ready-rolled puff pastry weeks after its date and it's always been absolutely fine.

Tonight we had scallops, beans and tomatillo and clementine dressing, followed by polenta and blueberry crumble cake ....

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:04 am

That does look good, Aero and good use-up combo. What bread are you making?

Lovely meal and dessert KC2 - and you're at the amazing scallop salad again with your fresh from the garden tomatillos followed by that crumble cake - doesn't get much better than that. Your cake looked so very good that I had to make one too as I have a big bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer that need using.

OK - so, copycat alert warning! :D

I made the Blueberry Crumble Cake for Mr0 as it's right up his alley. Big hit. My variation was roasted blue cornmeal instead of polenta (didn't have any) and it's quite a bit finer and was more absorbent than polenta, and reduced the sugar for lesser sweet tooths, and I ended up adding more liquid, and slightly more blueberries, too. Worked really well and was declared a keeper.

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:50 am

Current loaf is my standard sourdough using the retained lump of dough from the previous loaf as the starter.

Postby Suffs » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Today's baking is a quiche with bacon, gruyere and onions in the filling ...... and a small granary loaf and four baps.

Quiche and granary bread.jpg
Quiche and granary bread.jpg (100.82 KiB) Viewed 3149 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:53 pm

ZC, cake looks stunning! Thank you PP :lol: It really is a winner :thumbsup
I reduced the sugar by a little as well; the roasted blue cornmeal option sounds great.

Suffs, lovely looking quiche! Is that a square quiche tin with a removeable base? Did you just "know" instinctively the correct quantity of eggs and cream/milk/whatever for that tin or did it evolve? I seem to have settled on 3 large eggs for a large, round quiche but never quite know if it's going to be right or not :oops:

Bread and rolls look :yum

Postby Suffs » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:13 pm

KC2 it's rectangular 12" x 8" with a removable base. Think it came from W'rose. I use shortcrust made with 10oz flour, 5oz butter and 1 egg.

The pastry shrank a bit (didn't rest it long enough after rolling it out before blind baking it) and I used lots of onions and cheese,so although I'd usually use six med eggs and a small carton of single cream, I only used four eggs this time, and almost all the cream. I sort of do it by eye somehow ... not sure how :?

CORRECTION ... the tin says it came from Lakeland :D

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:35 pm

ZeroCook wrote: I have a big bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer that need using.

ZC, did you put them on frozen or did you defrost them first?

Suffs wrote:KC2 it's rectangular 12" x 8" with a removable base. Think it came from W'rose. I use shortcrust made with 10oz flour, 5oz butter and 1 egg.

CORRECTION ... the tin says it came from Lakeland :D

I've been very impressed with Lakeland's round springform tins.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:01 pm

did you put them on frozen or did you defrost them first?

Just seen this - did not defrost - I used about 500g straight from the freezer and mixed with about 50g sugar and a tablespoon and a bit of blue cornmeal in a bowl before I started the rest of the recipe so that they would just begin to defrost and gave it a good stir thru before arranging on the bottom layer. The roasted blue cornmeal I used is very fine, almost but not quite as fine as plain wheat flour and more absorbent than conventional polenta.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:29 pm

Thanks, ZC, that's helpful to know as I often have frozen and it's nice to be able to do it on the spur of the moment, when the desire takes hold .... :lol:

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:59 am

I'm quite an as-it-grabs-me cook and also like the mixed frozen berries and often freeze a bag of prepped apple slices for pies, tsrts and cakes. I looked at Suelle's apple version of this crumble cake too and that's definitely on the list sometime. We have a couple of apple trees - fruit's pretty small this year but usually fine for cooking with.

Postby halfateabag » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:48 am

The sun was on the solar panels yesterday and we needed to use up bits and bobs so I experimented with porridge oats in pastry and it came out very well. I also baked a cake (packet mix from Lidl) and remembered I had ermine frosting in the freezer so that helped with the end of a jar of strawberry jam. I also baked a full tray of tomato halves which has concentrated their flavour and they went well with the 'leftover' quiche.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:06 am

I thought you were defrosting a furry animal until I looked it up zosh! Am I the only one this has passed by?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ermine+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

It's the same as fake cream in my mother's wartime cookery book but with a much posher-sounding name (I've used it quite a bit over the years and is very good!). I'm sure your cake was lovely!

Re frozen berries. At classes I attended, it was suggested we always used frozen berries for things like blueberry muffins and other sponges containing berries added at the very last minute or sprinkled on top during baking. They always thaw but keep their shape and substance much more successfully than fresh ones.

Postby dennispc » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:57 pm

Made one of my mistakes this morning! Shaping dough ready for tin and realised I forgotten the salt. In the past I’ve made Tuscan no salt bread, but not keen. Flattened it out, sprinkled salt over it, worked it in and baked. Obviously too much salt! But edible.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:28 pm

You and me both, Dennis! Only mine was the opposite and a bit different - wanted to make some brioche rolls, decided to do half a recipe, but didn't halve the water :roll: and had a liquid mixture, added in another half of everything else, mismeasured the salt and added 50% extra by mistake :lol: then to top it all off, slightly overproved the shaped rolls before baking as didn't reduce time for hot weather. Edible result but not big and fluffy and amazing - oh well, note to self for next time :geek: Things to do with slightly sub par rolls ...

Never heard of ermine frosting - very interesting.... seems like buttercream on a cooked flour base. Or something like that :mrgreen:
Last edited by ZeroCook on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox