Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:22 pm

I made a dozen nata tarts in individaual muffin tins yesterday. 8 were frozen uncooked and the remaining 4 baked.

Sorry, no photo.......we scoffed 'em :oops: .

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 pm

My first try at Fat Rascals. Not quite to the recipe, didn't have all the different fruits so they are sultana and cherry and no chopped almonds, hubby has a reaction to nuts.

There were 10, 2 decided to make a break for freedom but only got as far as hitting the floor.

First taste, they're ok but I think I prefer rock cakes

P1004768 1.jpg
P1004768 1.jpg (263.76 KiB) Viewed 3744 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:33 pm

They look delicious, slimpersoninside :yum.

I was interested that you froze the natal tarts uncooked. Have you done it before? I've never frozen an uncooked custard.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:23 pm

Love the look of the fat rascals!

We have a picnic lunch for a friends daughter's first birthday tomorrow. I have picked some rhubarb and we have blackberries so I will make some muffins or a loaf cake to take with us. I was going to include lemon but it might be too tart.

Eldest daughter has requested we make some of the packet Frozen themed cupcakes this weekend with the horrible edible paper decorations on the top.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Thank you re the Fat Rascals.

EM, I have frozen unbaked nata tarts before and they cooked up the same as the unfrozen & baked ones. The custard is cooked and cooled before filling the raw pastry cases and then baked, this may be the reason it works fine or perhaps that the recipe I use has cornflour in the custard mixture.

OMCO, hope the weather is good for tomorrow's picnic lunch. Some sort of rhubarb cake sounds good but I'd have to pass on blackberries, too many pips! I was a bit confused by packet Frozen cupcakes until I remembered Frozen was a film, that's what happens when you don't have young children or grandchildren :lol:.

Postby Binky » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Mary Berry's Easy Chocolate Cake made this morning. Was meant for tea tonight but couldn't wait to try it. Delicious!

Imagegta vice city wallpaper

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:21 pm

It looks fab!!!!

What is sprinkled on top?

Postby Binky » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:28 pm

That is grated chocolate. OH baked the cake and I made the chocolate ganache - pieces of choc melted in double cream, allowed to cool and then spread over the cake plus as a 'sandwich' filling. Left over choc grated on top. Dead easy and we'll do it again.

Postby Pampy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:33 pm

That looks lovely, Binky. I wouldn't have been able to wait to try it either! :lol: :lol:

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:56 pm

Lovely looking cake Binky. Wouldn't mind getting my choppers around a slice :thumbsup .

Postby aero280 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm

Not having much luck lately. I made a smoked salmon quiche for supper. It leaked quite a lot through the pastry and the springform tin. Fortunately, I half expected a bit of leakage, so I had the tin on a baking tray. The excessive amount that leaked meant that I could scrape up the leak and we had it as a sort of omelette for lunch!! :D

The half full quiche will be eaten over the next couple of days...

Postby Amyw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 pm

Good looking chocolate cake Binky . Chocolate cake is quite tricky to get right I think . So many times I’ve had dry or tasteless ones

Postby aero280 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:11 pm

I bought some strawberries last week, and had some clotted cream left over, as well as a roll of puff pastry. So I thought that i would try an apfelstrudel. I know filo is recommended, but...

Turned out fine :)

Postby herbidacious » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 pm

Wow. Some delicious looking things!

Postby Rainbow » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:35 am

aero280 wrote:I bought some strawberries last week, and had some clotted cream left over, as well as a roll of puff pastry. So I thought that i would try an apfelstrudel. I know filo is recommended, but...

Turned out fine :)

I often use puff pastry instead of filo these days - so much less hassle!! In fact I can't remember the last time I bought any filo.
A Greek friend uses puff pastry for spinakopita and if it's good enough for him......

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Oooh, that's great to know, I often use (ready-rolled) puff but never bother with filo. Spanakopita, here we come!

Do you - or anyone else - happen to have a favoured go-to recipe, rainbow?

Postby Rainbow » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:50 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Oooh, that's great to know, I often use (ready-rolled) puff but never bother with filo. Spanakopita, here we come!

Do you - or anyone else - happen to have a favoured go-to recipe, rainbow?

It's been while since I made one, KC2, so not sure exactly which one I used. And I probably didn't follow it that exactly!!

I have done this one
https://www.womensweeklyfood.com.au/rec ... pita-25100
using the puff pastry, but I'm sure I didn't put 4 eggs in it. Probably 2 at the most!!

I also have this one in my file - very similar and again using 4 eggs!!
https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/spanak ... 5b0aeb390c

Not sure if they are very authentic, but I like the mix of ricotta & feta they use. I may have left out the Parmesan because I don't have that in stock very often! Hope that's of some help!

Postby aero280 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 pm

I remembered that i had some double cream that was going sour in the fridge. So I made some scones... :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 12, 2021 5:54 pm

Reporting back on the Coffee, Cardamom, Almond & Mascarpone cake recently posted on 'Food in the News'. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/m ... l#comments

The recipe made a nice-looking cake. I would have preferred a touch less of the baking powder/bicarb and suspect SR flour would work even if you added a teeny bit more baking powder. Like many light, oil based cakes I thought it lacked flavour despite the nuts and coffee. I used instant coffee, I have no idea if the caffeine effect dissipates but you could use decaff or your usual brewed decaff. The comments below the recipe suggest freshly brewed isn't as flavoursome which would be a shame. I used almonds but think walnuts, as the author says the original recipe did, might be better.

The 'icing' is nice, there is no sugar in the recipe but I added a scant dessert spoon of icing sugar after tasting it, it made a big difference. There was a good bit left over but I didn't want any more on the cake. When she says to beat it until it all comes together, that is what she means, it curdles at first and takes a good while to go smooth. I haven't got a big mixer with paddles and used an electric hand mixer and wooden spoon.

I'm going to try freezing some of it.

All in all not bad.

20210512_155702_resized.jpg
20210512_155702_resized.jpg (112.77 KiB) Viewed 3013 times

Postby oat » Wed May 12, 2021 6:04 pm

Looks lovely Earthmaiden

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox