Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What are you baking this week?

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Thought we could have a thread for people to post their bakes, both savoury and sweet.

This morning I made some savoury puff pastry rolls (using bought pastry). I spread the pastry with red pepper paste, added grated cheese and chopped spring onion, then rolled them up, cut them into pieces and cooked them in the oven.

This afternoon I made some vegan cookies from a recipe Pret posted https://www.pret.co.uk/en-gb/pret-recipes/dark-chocolate-vegan-cookie-recipeand I’ve got a blood orange loaf cake in the oven https://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/blood-orange-buttermilk-pound-cake/#wprm-recipe-container-38013

I used to bake loads, then stopped as I never seemed to have enough time. Now I’m working from home, I’ve rediscovered my love of baking.

I think later in the week I’ll make some more scones and maybe Hummingbird’s earl grey cupcakes (with much less frosting than they recommend).
Last edited by smitch on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Nice idea for a thread , I love baking. Nice sounding bakes

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:19 pm

Amy suggested I post a photo of the cookies. Here they are, would highly recommend the recipe although I made them smaller than suggested https://www.instagram.com/p/B_cltHxpARl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:58 pm

I made a ginger preserve cake, tweaked from a Nigel Slater recipe, it was very good.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:28 pm

I finally made Dan Lepard's Saffron Peach Cake, (the recipe that's been on my notice board since 2009).

The taste of saffron is interesting, it drowns out quite a generous amount of almond extract. Definitely more of a dessert cake which would be nice with something like creme fraiche. I think I might start making cakes as weekend lockdown treats if I can get flour. I want to try Uschi's apple cake and have plenty of cookers and eaters to use.

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:00 pm

I'm on 4 24 shifts at work this week :? , so am thinking about baking something this week , maybe something fruity, now all the summer fruits are coming in. I made Suelles brownies last week which were reliable as always

Postby Lokelani » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Tomorrow morning I might try to make Pizza Express Dough Balls. I have some homemade pesto I froze a while ago. The recipe is on their website, as is their Margherita Pizza recipe, but the latter will have to wait until I can buy some mozzarella.

So far I've been determined to save what little flour I have as it seems to be one of the hardest things to buy at the moment. Then I thought as it's quite old already, I might as well use it before it goes off/starts crawling etc. As that would be terrible.

I had some sausagemeat & a pack of shop puff pastry in the freezer from Xmas. I added some chopped onion & made a giant sausage roll for the weekend. I couldn't bring myself to use an egg just for pastry wash so just used a bit of milk. Not very summery, but we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:19 pm

I rarely bother with an egg wash, it always seems really wasteful to me.

Postby Lokelani » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:22 pm

It does seem wasteful. When it's just for the two of us I worry a lot more about how food tastes than how it looks. That's what is important.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:27 pm

smitch wrote:Amy suggested I post a photo of the cookies. Here they are, would highly recommend the recipe although I made them smaller than suggested https://www.instagram.com/p/B_cltHxpARl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

They look GREAT!! :yum :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Last week-end I baked a batch of Mary Berry's fairy cakes, as well as the (squidgy) spiced Apple Cake someone recommended on here. These were delivered up to Harefield Hospital for the Well-being room that is allocated to the nursing staff for meetings and relaxation away from the wards.

Yesterday I baked a blinding loaf of bread - nothing fancy 50/50 white and wholemeal using my bread-maker to knead the dough. This looks every bit as good as any bought from a baker and will do me for a good few days yet.

Today I baked Easy Apple Slice - a recipe recommended on FB. Five ingredients : 2 cups SR Flour; 1 cup sugar; 3 Apples (I used 4 small eating apples) peeled, cored and diced; 125g Butter - melted (I used 125ml sunflower oil) ; 1 egg (I used 2 small ones). Sieve the flour sugar together, mix in the apples. Whisk the eggs and butter/oil together and then mix into the other ingredients. This will result in quite a stiff mix. Tip into a greased and/or lined tin and bake at 180oC for 35-45 minutes. (I sprinkled brown sugar over mine before baking) The result is a delicious, quick to make tray bake that can be eaten with custard, cream, or just warm. The OP says this should last 3 days ... not in my house it won't ;) :thumbsup

Postby Uschi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:44 am

Axel and I married our rhubarb cake recipes. His bottom and Streusel (crumbles) and my pudding bed for the rhubarb (blancmange-type vanilla pudding)

I peeled and cut up the rhubarb the night before and sugared it. The next morning I used the juices to make the pudding (instead of milk), only half as much juice as prescribed.
Axel's dough was divided into one part for the crumbles, two parts for the bottom (of a round spring-tin) and pulled up at the sides a bit. Then the pudding was spread in the tin, the rhubarb laid onto it and the whole thing was covered with the rest of the dough, plucked into crumbles. After 45 minutes in the oven a lovely Rhabarber-Streuselkuchen emerged from the oven. Yum!

Postby DEB » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:47 am

Flour is a real problem here, but yesturday I made some crunchy biscuits having ground up so oat in the food processer to get oat flour. They turn out fine. :klingonbanana

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 am

Axel and I married

Splutter!

I miss baking. What fantastic things you are all making. The cookies look great, Smitch.
It's due to rain today, so I think I'll make a HFW apple cake. As we have plenty of them apples in.

That apple slice bake looks super easy, Patsy too.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:32 am

We've had various people shopping for us these past few weeks. We got a surprise pineapple one day. Half was turned into a salsa and the remainder became a pineapple cake.

Flour seems to be available in fits and starts at the moment. We were lucky, I'd got my usual haul from Redbournbury in February. Since then our various shoppers, plus a couple of deliveries, have kept us going.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 pm

The greengrocer over the road had 2kg packs of white bread flour yesterday, very plain packaging, possibly sourced via the local baker who supplies his loaves

Postby liketocook » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 pm

My son baked us a banana and walnut loaf yesterday to use up some over ripe bananas. I seldom bake sweet stuff these days as usually it's just me but this will go down a treat with a cuppa.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:20 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Last week-end I baked a batch of Mary Berry's fairy cakes, as well as the (squidgy) spiced Apple Cake someone recommended on here.

I think that might well have been me! It's one of our favourite cakes/desserts. What a lovely treat for the hospital staff :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:48 pm

have you got a link to it please, KC & L2C?

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:have you got a link to it please, KC & L2C?

Here it is:

Squidgy spiced apple cake
125g butter
225g dark muscovado sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
300g cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp unrefined demerara sugar

1. Heat oven to 160 deg C/140 fan/gas 3
Cream butter and muscovado in a food processor for a couple of minutes then mix in the egg
Sift over flour baking powder and spices
Fold together, then stir in apple

2. Pour into buttered, base-lined 20cm springform cake tin and bake for 1 hr, or until risen and browned * I always found it needed longer
Combine honey and demerara and spread over cake while still warm
Remove from tin and serve with cream or ice cream
Keeps for 3-4 days (ha!!) wrapped in foil

This is a fantastic cake!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox