Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby aero280 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:52 pm

Chelsea buns were the Hugh Fearnley recipe from his "Bread" book. There's a lot of butter in the mix, so they are quite short and almost a dense croissant texture.

Sorry! They are all gone. We have had no.1. son and DiL as guests.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:38 pm

I baked an "Ameisenkuchen" (ant-cake i.e. a cake that has chocolate sprinkles in the dough).
I just used the recipe for a Quarkkuchen and added dark sprinkles to the flour part.

Postby aero280 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:02 pm

I must get some baking done today. Last week the kitchen was non functioning while I put the new floor down…

Bread, and maybe some Portugueses tarts.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:25 pm

Forgot to mention...

I made some Millionaires Shortbread on Saturday, too late for photos as there aren't many pieces left :oops: .

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:05 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:Forgot to mention...

I made some Millionaires Shortbread on Saturday, too late for photos as there aren't many pieces left :oops: .

Must have been good, then. :D

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:36 pm

Am I allowed to add that I made a large pot of Apple, Walnut and Banana Chutney this weekend ?

Quite a list of ingredients, but I had been given a bag of cooking apples, so needed to find a use for at least half of them ;)

Postby aero280 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:15 pm

Hey Ho! :( Another mishap... :oops: :oops:

Someone gave us a few Russet apples. They weren't quite ripe and so we left them. When we found them again, they were a bit wrinkly, so I decided to make a quick puff pastry apple strudel. Because the apples might need a bit of something extra to perk them up, I added some extras, like a spoon full of candied peel and some muscovado sugar and a splash of liqueur, etc. It was all wrapped up and ready to go in the oven when I realised that I had put everything in but the apple itself. :oops: :oops: So we have a sort of long thin Eccles cake I suppose!! :D

As the apples were prepared and I had enough sultanas left, I made the apple strudel recipe, but the roll of pastry that I had left for that was shortcrust, not puff. They are out of the oven and look OK. I'm just waiting for OH to get home from Harrow Philharmonic choir practice, so that we can sample some and see if it's OK.

Postby Suelle » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:04 am

aero280 wrote:Hey Ho! :( Another mishap... :oops: :oops:

Someone gave us a few Russet apples. They weren't quite ripe and so we left them. When we found them again, they were a bit wrinkly, so I decided to make a quick puff pastry apple strudel. Because the apples might need a bit of something extra to perk them up, I added some extras, like a spoon full of candied peel and some muscovado sugar and a splash of liqueur, etc. It was all wrapped up and ready to go in the oven when I realised that I had put everything in but the apple itself. :oops: :oops: So we have a sort of long thin Eccles cake I suppose!! :D

As the apples were prepared and I had enough sultanas left, I made the apple strudel recipe, but the roll of pastry that I had left for that was shortcrust, not puff. They are out of the oven and look OK. I'm just waiting for OH to get home from Harrow Philharmonic choir practice, so that we can sample some and see if it's OK.

I'm sure a slice of each will compliment each other! :D
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:49 am

it was a weird year for apples. ours weren't ripening fully before they started falling. the russets especially.
we have a few of those left which are also under-ripe and wrinkling.
the one i ate this evening was definitely hard and disappointing.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:35 am

Our Bramleys weren't as good as usual either.

Postby Suelle » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:59 am

One of my three trees, which are minarettes, so aren't huge, didn't have much fruit but I've been eating apples from the other 2 for about 6 weeks. I didn't take off enough excess fruit in June from one of them, so the apples were quite small - it's taught me a lesson for next year!

Postby aero280 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:59 am

Well, they are OK! A small slice of each seems to work best because the “Eccles Log” is incredibly sweet on its own.

Postby Wic » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:51 pm

I can’t find the original post, but I asked a few weeks ago about apple cake recipes and everyone was helpful. I’ve tried several - the Bramley tree just can’t stop - and they have all been good, but the one I made for Sunday’s community tea and cake session went down a storm. Suelle suggested it, a cake with a caramelised apple and cream filling. I needed a four egg sized cake, so used Mary Berry’s spiced orange cake and substituted stewed apple for the stewed orange, then filled it with cream and caramelised apple. It was really good! I’d have taken a photo but it all went before I remembered.

Postby Suelle » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:05 pm

Wic wrote:I can’t find the original post, but I asked a few weeks ago about apple cake recipes and everyone was helpful. I’ve tried several - the Bramley tree just can’t stop - and they have all been good, but the one I made for Sunday’s community tea and cake session went down a storm. Suelle suggested it, a cake with a caramelised apple and cream filling. I needed a four egg sized cake, so used Mary Berry’s spiced orange cake and substituted stewed apple for the stewed orange, then filled it with cream and caramelised apple. It was really good! I’d have taken a photo but it all went before I remembered.

Another suggestion which worked! I'm so glad!

Postby Wic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:20 am

> Another suggestion which worked! I'm so glad!

Yes, inspired! And the caramel apple mix could be used for all sorts of other things. Not least just eating it with a spoon.

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:53 pm

I made a "rainbow" traybake. A simple sponge cake dough covered in fruit which sink in a bit. Normally it is just an apricot cake, but I used cherries, mirabelles and apricots to create a rainbow effect.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:34 pm

Made an eggless boiled fruit cake yesterday, using sr flour, a tsp of baking powder and a tsp of soda bicarb - it is great! I think I might always do it in future!
Yes, it's a bit crumbly, but not unpleasantly or inedibly so!

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:16 pm

I haven't made bread in a long time, but have focaccia rising in the oven. I just hope my flour isn't too old.
I shall top it with the half water, half olive oil that Gary Rhodes used in his Ligurian focaccia. It does make a superb crust.
I enjoyed the kneading!

Postby Uschi » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:08 pm

I have finally made a start on my biscuit baking.

Four doughs resting on the balcony. If I can find the energy I will try out the new mooncake cutters to make Spekulatius and maybe make snowflakes using my hands and a fork (they look a little like shlighty flattened gnocchi before baking.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:10 pm

focaccia 4 Dec.jpg
focaccia 4 Dec.jpg (82.54 KiB) Viewed 3420 times

Well, it looks good.
Can freeze quite a bit.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox