Register

Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Soup

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 pm

Ocado do a passable gazpacho in packs of 6 individual portions. I like them and they have a long life so have them in the fridge even at this time of the year,

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:44 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:How is he with shellfish? I use the Mae Ploy pastes and they contain quite a lot of fermented shrimp paste, also lemongrass, which a friend reacts to
The red paste, which contains no dried ground spices or, more surprisingly, coriander; is really good for me at the moment as cumin and all parts of the coriander plant are still on the naughty step
But they are definitely Bargain Basement, I couldn't buy the raw ingredients for the price (around £2) and if I did, they wouldn't be as good & fresh as they are at the Thai factory and even my spice grinder wouldn't grind lemon grass and galangal to such a smooth paste

He's ok with shellfish - at least not that we're aware of him not being! If I recall correctly, I think it was a green Thai curry that we had once some years ago that gave him the most awful runs - and he's never wanted anything remotely Thai again :roll: If I ever suggest it he always says no!
jeral wrote:Re Thai paste that I've tried, there seems to be something that is or turns sour or acidic that my stomach can't deal with. I have no problem with lemons or tomatoes etc so don't know the culprit.

Maybe he and jeral have similar reactions!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Anyone got a recipe for a tried and tested mulligatawny?

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:04 am

Oh yes! Madhur's is my go to T&T'ed.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mulligatawny/

Sorry, you'll have to translate the US measures here - but it's from her Curry Bible. A lot of vegan versions out there too - just leave out the lamb.

edited to add metric ingredient quants
Notes:

3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1" cubes - 500g
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 1⁄2 tsp. finely grated, peeled ginger (I use more - abt 1 tbs)
1 1⁄2 tbsp. blanched slivered almonds, toasted and ground into a fine powder
1 1⁄2 tsp. ground coriander
1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
1⁄4 tsp. ground turmeric [i] (I use more - about 1 tsp)[/i]
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
1 1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
Freshly ground black pepper
6 cups chicken or lamb stock - 1.5L (any stock)
1⁄4 cup chickpea flour - 4tbs
Salt
Coarse chili powder (optional)
2 limes, quartered
Finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups cooked rice - 350ish g

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:14 am

That looks great, ZC!
Only thing is, lamb is very difficult to find here - could I use something else? Oxtail, for example?

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:59 am

You can use just about anything KDKA - oxtail would be great as would chuck or shin or anything like that. Do you get goat? A tasty chicken? Anything with a decent amount of flavour. And timings to suit. The besan/chickpea/garbanzo flour is really important IMO. I've seen recipes that use ordinary flour to thicken but for me the besan is what makes it stand out.

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:04 pm

karadekoolaid, if you can get oxtail, could you "currify" something by mucking about with Baxter's ingredients for their soup? My dad tried and tasted their soup many times ;)
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 8004-38005

I recall it being quite thick, so I always thought there must be ground kidneys in the liquid. None are listed, but for extra meatiness probably wouldn't hurt if you can get them.

Wikipedia give a recipe from the 1840's of the original muligatawny, or pepper water and no meat as it seemingly was. I imagine you'll have the spices listed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulligatawny

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:36 pm

Jeral - no Baxter´s over here I´m afraid. However, the Wiki article did help.
Pepper water - there´s another South Indian "soup" - or digestive - called Rasam. Same sort of ingredients but fewer spices. The Tamils live in Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka, plus a good number in Malaysia. South-Eastern Indian food is searingly hot and Sri Lankan recipes use a lot of spices. Nothing in the recipe from Wiki that I haven´t got, mind you.
sounds like a wonderful option for a cold day!

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:36 pm

My son's friend is Sri Lankan (his parents are) and literally a pin prick of the hot bottled oil they use is my limit yet they happily douse it liberally over cooked dishes :shock: My thinking is that as such oil is available in a bottle they don't need to do the hot oil ladle thing. I must confess it would miss out on the incredible aroma though.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:14 pm

I picked up a rtc cauliflower today and decided to make soup to take to work tomorrow.

I roasted the florets in olive oil, ground cumin and s&p.
Then added them to my base of onion, potato, thyme and veg stock.

It's pretty good.

Postby scullion » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:16 am

i couldn't remember the way i was shown, by a chef, in the dordogne (sarlat) but this is the nearest recipe that 'ian in france' could find going by my description.
it's pretty similar other than in my version the sorrel was added in almost whole, to wilt, at the end of the soup cooking. it actually works well with shredded savoy cabbage, instead of the sorrel, too.

"Tourin à L'Ail Comme en Corrèze" 

starter, soup, french

10 large cloves of garlic; thinly sliced

2 large onions; finely chopped

80 g duck fat (or butter )

1 tbsp plain flour

1 l. Poultry stock (duck best)lukewarm ; defatted

2 eggs; separated

20 ml red wine vinegar

S&P

10 thin slices French Bread, toasted, rubbed with garlic, & drizzled with goose/duck fat 

Sweat garlic & onion in fat, gently at first, then over medium high heat till well softened but not browned at all. Pale gold is perfect.
Lower heat, sprinkle over the flour and cook till pale golden coloured in turn.
Remove from heat.

W
hisk in most of the stock, reserving 100 mls for later.
Taking care to avoid lumps, heat to boiling, stirring.
Simmer uncovered 30 mins or so. (If cooking in advance, allow to cool).

10 minutes before serving, start reheating the soup.
Separate the eggs into two bowl.
Lightly beat egg whites with a fork till just a bit frothy, and mix in the reserved stock. Set aside.

Whisk the yolks with a fork to break them up and then beat in the vinegar.
The soup should be boiling by now, so pour a ladleful into the egg yolk/vinegar mixture and beat to combine then set aside.

Make sure the soup is boiling, and then remove from heat.
Pour in the egg white mixture in a thin steady stream, gently whisking the while so the white forms strands. Return the soup to low heat (don't boil) and stir in the egg yolk mixture, with a spatula, and heat VERY gently, without letting it boil, until it thickens slightly and becomes creamy. 

Correct seasoning, serve forthwith accompanied by the bread croûtes.

If you wanted to make a sorrel flavoured variant, then this would be easy. Cut it into a chiffonade, add it after mixing in the stock. You might also cook it with the onion and garlic. I'd use a handful or so.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:15 pm

Great. Thanks for sharing, Scullion. I'm very partial to regional soups and very interesting to see the different takes on garlic. I make Spanish Sopa de Ajo quite a bit - bread is also used in that. Sorrel is a lovely touch.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:10 pm

It is such a shame when recipes get posted in Chatter instead of in the Food Forums, because it means those of us who are non-witterers don´t get to share the recipes. This on from KC2 today - such an interesting option:

Found the recipe for the beetroot soup. I never added the beans. It was also nice chilled, I think.

BEETROOT, APPLE AND CANNELLINI SOUP

● 1 tbsp olive oil
● 1 tsp cumin seeds
● 2 medium onions, chopped
● 500g raw beetroot, grated
● 2 Bramley apples, peeled and quartered
● 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
● 2 star anise
● Salt and ground black pepper
● 1 × 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
● Greek yoghurt, to serve
● Handful of chives, chopped

Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin and onions, and cook for 10 minutes, lid on. Add the beetroot and apple, stir and cook for 10 minutes more. Add the stock, turn up the heat, add the star anise and season. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Take off the heat, remove the star anise and blitz. Return to the pan, add the beans, simmer for 20 minutes then serve with yoghurt and chives.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:18 pm

Sorry, KKA :oops: thanks for putting it in the right place :thumbsup

Glad you happened to be round the camp fire :D

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:14 am

I made some celery soup yesterday - it had no right to be so good, when it's so quick and easy.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:42 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:It is such a shame when recipes get posted in Chatter instead of in the Food Forums, because it means those of us who are non-witterers don´t get to share the recipes.

"Wittering" is a bit insulting, isn't it?

Postby Suffs » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Wittering? A bit dismissive of the real friendship and support to be found on the two chat threads ... including the concern shown when political and economic events proved difficult for some ... and when folk were kept apart from their loved ones because of Covid :(

And to return to SOUP ... I made a pot of this Italian-style courgette soup this morning .... quick and easy, and abso-bally-lutely delicious ... we ate the whole pot full :oops:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ital ... chini_9833

Edited to say: Sorry Pampy ... didn't see your post ... but I agree anyway.

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:01 pm

First soup of the season made … a simple squash, chilli and sweet potato one with a cheese topped roll from Tesco’s

Postby liketocook » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:37 pm

That looks really good Amy and good to see this thread going again, it's definitely soup weather here. I make a pot of soup, sometimes two, most weeks for lunches between mid-September and May. This week it was rib sticking pea & ham using a ham hock and dried marrowfat peas. Last week I made a pot of cream of tomato which is a not so slimming tweak on the Slimming World one https://www.strikeapose.co.uk/slimming- ... -syn-free/ but still not completely sinful as it's small amounts of cream & butter. It's good stand by if I don't have much in. My friend loved it so I typed up the recipe I used for her.
Cream of tomato soup (serves 4)
Ingredients
• A splash of oil & a small knob of butter
• 1 small onion
• 1 carrot
• 2 cloves of garlic crushed
• ¼ glass white wine or dry vermouth (optional)
• 1 tsp vinegar
• 1 heaped tsp oregano
• 1 tin tomatoes
• 1 tin baked beans
• 2 stock cubes (veg or chicken)
• 3 tins of water
• 2 tbsps milk or cream
• Salt and pepper

Method
• Melt butter and oil in pan. Add finely chopped onion & carrot. Fry gently for 5-10 minutes until onion is soft but not brown.
• Add garlic and stir
• Add wine and vinegar and allow to bubble for a minute.
• Add tomatoes, 2 tins of water, oregano & stock cubes. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes until carrots are soft.
• Add beans & remaining tin of water. Simmer for 15 minutes.
• Add milk/cream then blend.
• Season to taste.

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:12 pm

Sounds good liketocook. I do love a good homemade soup and think they’re perfect winter lunches

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox