Register

Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Soup

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:37 pm

We eat lots of soup in the colder months, mostly root veg based. Must make some beetroot & feta soon. :yum

Our favourite with squash is one of Michael Michaud's, with bean and corn in a tomato/onion/garlic base. I add a bit of smoked paprika.

Postby halfateabag » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:59 pm

My slow cooker is one with a huge bagful of clean peelings and bones ready for some stock for later on. I have some beetroot in the oven roasting so maybe a borscht later in the week.

Postby liketocook » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:57 pm

halfateabag wrote:My slow cooker is one with a huge bagful of clean peelings and bones ready for some stock for later on. I have some beetroot in the oven roasting so maybe a borscht later in the week.

I must get some chicken stock on the go as I have a bag full of carcasses and I've just about used the last batch. I'm afraid I don't save my peelings though, as I don't buy organic veg I'm always a bit wary of them, though I'm sure with a good scrub they'd be fine. It's something I should probably think about.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 am

LTC I use carrot and parsnip peelings, also the soft onion (not the brown) skins and tops and bottoms. There were also some squash skins in the bag as well. For us the veg adds a delicate sweetness to the stock which we like. I throw in a handful of fresh bay leaves too.

Postby liketocook » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:37 am

halfateabag wrote:LTC I use carrot and parsnip peelings, also the soft onion (not the brown) skins and tops and bottoms. There were also some squash skins in the bag as well. For us the veg adds a delicate sweetness to the stock which we like. I throw in a handful of fresh bay leaves too.

I do add veg to make my stock usually carrot, onion, unpeeled garlic and celery with a couple of dried bayl eafs and some peppercorns.

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:45 am

Cream of cauliflower is currently simmering to use up a lurking cauli and some cream.

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:04 pm

A vat of minestrone is chuntering away on the hob this morning ... the last of the season's courgettes and runner beans from the garden, onion, celery carrot, red pepper, garlic and some leftover Swiss chard, together with a cupful of cannelini beans that were soaked and had a quick pre-cook yesterday, a tin of tomatoes and a couple of teaspoons of Marigold veg bouillon powder. That'll fill OH's lunch flask for several days :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:20 pm

I made orange soup - intentionally leftover roast sweet potato, BNS, read onion and carrot; a little soffrito of celery and garlic; bouquet of fresh herbs; paprika Hungarian and smoked; red lentils to thicken; splash of hot sauce

Slightly overdid the lentils, one slice or two? :lol:

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:29 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I made orange soup - intentionally leftover roast sweet potato, BNS, read onion and carrot; a little soffrito of celery and garlic; bouquet of fresh herbs; paprika Hungarian and smoked; red lentils to thicken; splash of hot sauce

Slightly overdid the lentils, one slice or two? :lol:

My kind of soup Sue, I like it rib sticking :D
Minestrone sounds lovely suffs - OH is spoiled. :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 pm

It must be soup weather! I made a lovely quick chunky soup a couple of days ago with leeks, mushrooms, courgettes, peppers and anything else lurking plus a tin of chopped tomatoes, rinsed baked beans, garlic and smoked paprika. Served with grated cheese on top and a piece of toast.

Last night was the leftovers to which I added some of my jar of smoked aubergine and served with cheese and toast again. It was really lovely. I always look forward to the first leek and potato soup of the year but am avoiding potatoes and was quite disappointed. This made up for it.

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:03 am

It certainly seems to be soup weather! I've just made a huge batch of chicken and vegetable soup and it's now cooling in the fridge before it gets frozen.

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:21 am

definitely soup weather - i made broccoli and cheese soup for lunch - a bit of protein and veg before chips at the beach this evening...

Postby Amyw » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:18 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:It must be soup weather! I made a lovely quick chunky soup a couple of days ago with leeks, mushrooms, courgettes, peppers and anything else lurking plus a tin of chopped tomatoes, rinsed baked beans, garlic and smoked paprika. Served with grated cheese on top and a piece of toast.

Last night was the leftovers to which I added some of my jar of smoked aubergine and served with cheese and toast again. It was really lovely. I always look forward to the first leek and potato soup of the year but am avoiding potatoes and was quite disappointed. This made up for it.

Never thought about adding baked beans to a soup before , what a good idea

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:21 pm

It would have been plain beans but I have lots of tins of baked beans to use up which have more sugar than I want in the sauce so I just rinse them. I used to add them with sauce to all sorts of soup/casserole type things which just absorb the flavour, they're very useful!

Postby Busybee » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:It would have been plain beans but I have lots of tins of baked beans to use up which have more sugar than I want in the sauce so I just rinse them. I used to add them with sauce to all sorts of soup/casserole type things which just absorb the flavour, they're very useful!

Jack Monroe (bootstrap cook) always suggests doing this as a can of baked beans is always much cheaper than other tinned beans. I hadn’t thought about doing it before she pointed this out. A useful economic tip.

BB

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:20 pm

It's maybe not cold but my it's wet & miserable here - more soup needed. :D A pan of ham & veg broth is simmering for lunches this week.

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:31 pm

A big pan of leek & tattie made this morning. Had some for lunch, it's one of my winter favourites. Base mix of onion, carrot, celery and garlic softened in a little butter, 2 big leeks, 4 potatoes, stock and milk.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Made a quick chowder for lunch, mainly to use up the following leftovers:
A couple of spring onion whites
A small cob of sweetcorn (I sliced off the kernels)
Half a jacket spud
The remains of a bottle of milk BB 05 October, still sweet

Added a few lardons and the usual seasonings, very good, must remember that chowders are an easy way to use up milk in a savoury dish

Making a big pot of minestrone tonight for the rest of the week

Postby liketocook » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:59 pm

Sounds good Sue, I was swithering between making leek & tattie or sweetcorn chowder but as I had a load of diced leeks in the freezer opted to use them and get some more freezer space.
Did you pop the cob in the broth while it was cooking? I tried that after seeing it recommended somewhere and it really boosts the corn flavour.

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 pm

First time I’ve cooked from Ottolenghi’s “Simple” book. Curried lentil , tomato and coconut soup . A really good store cupboard soup. The only thing I had to go out and buy was the coriander and I could probably have easily left it out

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox