Register

Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Soup

Postby dennispc » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks Joan, all ready for when the oven's free after lunch.

Jeral, our greengrocer has one of those but we were having coffee at a farm shop and bought it there. It’s a bit pale so hope it has some flavour.

My chopper knife did the job.

Postby Amyw » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:11 pm

I do similar to Joan , though usually add garlic to the roasting tin . Other flavourings I add sometimes are a drizzle of honey , rosemary or sage or sometimes ill use a bit of curry powder too . I think root veg goes great with spices in a soup

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:54 pm

Husband has made a ridiculously large batch of Northumbrian broth - it will stock the freezer for quick suppers at least

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:08 am

I made squash soup last night, roasting the veg similar to Joan’s method as usual but followed her lead and added two tomatoes which I don’t usually, a good addition

I may have added slightly too much garlic. I also added a single roasted red pepper that was hanging round in a jar and just a touch of sweet smoked paprika, which I often put in

It was a green skinned squash and I thought it might be insipid, but I tasted it when roasted and it was delicious, sweet and nutty.

Postby scullion » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:08 am

the big, greeny, bluey, grey squash (about £1.50/kg in lidl) are gorgeous, much more flavour and firmer texture than the cheap halloween type pumpkins that are all over the shops at the moment. i have one of each sitting in the outhouse - they store for months so i get them while they're cheap.
i should really grow them but the slugs usually get the young plants first.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:23 pm

I usually go for onion squash for soups and bakes, the French is potimarron, chestnut pumpkin, and they do taste of chestnuts

This is the selection at the shop over the road

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Scrumpious picture Sue. I lve potimarons too. I also got my eye on the russet apples- chance would be a fine thing!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:18 pm

I make a pumpkin, bean and corn soup, based on a Michael Michaud recipe. Dried beans are soaked and cooked, they and their liquor are added to onion & garlic softened in oil. Cubed squash, corn kernels and liquidised roasted tomatoes are added, with stock if required, the whole lot simmered until the squash is soft. It's seasoned with S&P and smoked paprika. I'll make this a few times over the coming weeks.

Postby dennispc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:19 pm

With half a pumpkin to use up, made pumpkin sort of soup this morning. It turned into more of a veg soup than anything else. Pumpkin and three chestnut mushrooms, celery, carrot, onion, tomato, russet apple, potato and chicken stock made a very nice soup. Bought focaccia from Dart's Farm, good but not as good as mine, apparently.

Postby Binky » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:05 pm

I tidied out our veg shelf/container in the fridge earlier. I found celery, a few carrots, some baby corns, an onion and a few flowers of cauli.

None of this looked in top condition but after washing/peeling/trimming I have a vegetable soup on the go for lunch. I am having second thoughts about the cauli (never having used it in soup before) but it's too late to extract.

Do you think it will be OK? If it isn't , I was wondering about a small spoonful of Patak's curry paste as I think there is an Asian soup made with spices and cauliflower.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:36 pm

I don't usually put cauli in mixed veg soup, but do sometimes add broccoli, specially of there's a stem hanging around

I do make cauliflower cream soup occasionally (crème Dubarry) which is delicious, and Felicity Cloake posted pics online of the soup she made using leftovers of her experiments with spiced roasted cauliflower, which she said was good

So I don't see why it wouldn't work

Postby Binky » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:02 pm

We've had lunch now and the soup was fine. I used a blender and you couldn't see the individual veggies. I'd do it again if ever the same 'clear out' veggies were needing to be used.

We like cauliflower, mostly in curries I have to say, but caulifower soup is something I will explore. Winter is the time for soups, I think :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Cauliflower soup is nice with cheddar cheese. Grate and add it after blending - just stir to melt it. If you add it while cooking the cauli, it can go stringy.

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:31 pm

Cauli and broc with a spot of cheese is one of my favourite soups.

With odds and ends, you get a different soup every time, usually good or at least passable. One thing I don't add or use up is tom sauce or tomatoes which to me only suits those soups designed for it to be in. It's not gospel though as others might have had successful results...

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:15 pm

One thing I’ve started doing is using my spiraliser to prepare veg for soup I’m not going to blend

Today I spiralised a courgette, a carrot, and a broccoli stalk and chopped the strands into julienne. I have two cutters and used the one that makes chunky square section strips rather than ribbons

Site Admin

Zuppa Inglese!

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

English Soup???

A little bit of our heritage I knew nothing about...

(Found this when I was Googling the classic Bolognese sauce...)

I had no idea what Alkermes is either until I Googled it.

https://www.itchefs-gvci.com/index.php? ... Itemid=890

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Made a very thick veg soup/ stew thing today , I think Hugh F-W calls them stoups. Not very attractive but really healthy and well needed after the excesses of Xmas . Leeks, carrots , garlic and cumin simmered with lentils and veg stock then a tin of sweet corn added in at the end . Really filling too

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Still Christmassing here, sensible eating can wait till the next decade begins...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Exactly Sakkarin

I will however get a pack of soup mix as I too like “stoops”

Postby MariaK » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:58 pm

For a cauli soup Delia's Cauliflower & Roquefort soup is worth a try.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/col ... -roquefort

I particularly like the fact that the leaves, stalk etc are used to make the stock - no waste

In Poland Christmas Eve is a day of abstention - no meat. A clear borsch consomme is typical, and that's what I always make, though some people prefer a mushroom soup and that's what we had yesterday evening as a friend brought some for OH to try.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox