Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:19 am

You're on a roll WW. :D

Last night was BLTs on giant puffy brioche roll/baps I baked.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:57 am

Last night was something quick I hadn't made in years. I keep forgetting that there's tinned tuna in the cupboard. Sauteed veg (mushroom, courgette, onion, carrot, tomato, spinach). Tuna, capers and lots of lemon juice and white pepper. Cooked pasta. All mixed together in the veg pan with a good handful of grated cheddar lightly stirred in at the end. So delicious I didn't want the last mouthful to come. Simple is so good sometimes!

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:42 pm

What I've been really fancying is a spicy kidney bean veggie burger in a bun with frites, but as I don't have any said beans, I've ordered some. It must be a lockdown thing since bun burgers are a rare choice.

Well done on the puffy brioche baps ZeroCook 8-)

So, instead, like Earthmaiden, an easy one today of the smaller cooked prawns (freezer) made coconutty with c. oil and block cream c. plus garlic/shallot/chilli/dairy cream/brandy for sauce with rice.

Or might use rum, being spoilt for choice with leftover Christmas booze which I bought intending to attempt home-made liqueurs but liqueurs were much cheaper just to buy when at serious offer prices. None of those bought liqueurs left :lol:

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Pasta for us tonight.
Smoked salmon, scallops, spring onions, creme fraiche and a handful of parsley, stirred through tagliatelle.

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:43 pm

ZeroCook wrote:
Renee wrote:Help! The kimchi that I made burns my tongue and I didn't put the full amount of Sriracha sauce in. Can anyone suggest anything please?

Renee - ouch! I love chili but I've never taken to Sriracha sauce. Just too damm hot. Korean chile flakes and pastes are generally much milder and more flavorful than Thai which tend to be incendiary. IMO I think it was a mistake to call for sriracha sauce (Thai) in a kimchi (Korean) recipe.
You may have found a solution by now but I might divide the jar contents liquid and all, rinse off one half (in lightly salted water perhaps) and recombine with the other half, maybe adding back up to half of the flavouring ingredients if needed. If still too hot, repeat. Don't toss that kimchi!

Zero Cook, I am so sorry, but I have only just seen your kind reply to my query! Goodness me, how time does fly! I still haven't used that kimchi, so will follow your advice. Many thanks.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:59 pm

Ha! I remember you moaning about your kimchi being too hot!

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:08 pm

Ha ha! I'm sure that it won't have mellowed over the years, but you never know!

In the meantime, I did buy a tub of Vadasz Raw Kimchi, naturally fermented, live culture, but I haven't started it yet ... maybe tomorrow!!

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:49 am

No problemo, Renee. Have a taste or get someone else to! I have kimchi a couple of years old in the fridge. Still good. Or just toss it and start over. Sometimes things just need to go.

And wow, has it really been that long since posting on here??

Adobo marinated pan fried Swordfish couple nights ago - I always like a piece of serious fish when it goes on sale - can't be paying silly prices otherwise. That's just me! Forgot to make the radicchio salad w. balsamic and pomegranate molasses dressing to go with it tho, so did that last night, remajon style with oranges along with sweet Italian sausage, sizzled. Easy cooking for a hot day.

When it gets hot, another good salad is Greek style watermelon & feta etc. On the menu for sometime soon.

Also on the upcoming menu, ravioli, some with pumpkin and cheese stuffing, some filled with the contents of an extra Italian sausage I got for the purpose. Was just eying the ravioli maker I bought during first lockdown and not used much since last year.

Postby Renee » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:24 pm

Watermelon and feta sounds a lovely combination for hot weather! Thanks for the dressing idea, because I do have pomegranate molasses, which I use for Muhumara. I think that I might have got that idea from you many years ago!

Nothing exciting tonight because I've been out for most of the day. I'm having a leftover smoked salmon fillet, having cooked two of them last night, with potato salad, tomatoes and two different varieties of lettuce. A quick and easy meal.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:55 pm

Continuing this in the newer thread - no wonder it seemed ages! :D :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4889&start=2420

Renee wrote:Watermelon and feta sounds a lovely combination for hot weather! Thanks for the dressing idea, because I do have pomegranate molasses, which I use for Muhumara. I think that I might have got that idea from you many years ago!

Nothing exciting tonight because I've been out for most of the day. I'm having a leftover smoked salmon fillet, having cooked two of them last night, with potato salad, tomatoes and two different varieties of lettuce. A quick and easy meal.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox