Register

8 food gadgets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 8 food gadgets

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:00 pm

Yup, I have an egg slicer too, and always use it when I make a tuna salad, or indeed, any other salad I might put hard boiled eggs in.

When I got it, many, many years ago, I had hoped it woud do tomatoes too, but of course it didn't.
It disappeared for a while - fell down the back of the kitchen drawers and I eventually found it and a lot of other things that had mysteriously gone missing. A friend gave me another one so I actually have two now :lol:

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:27 pm

scullion wrote: the little serrated kitchen devil is my go to slicer for that sort of thing.

Snap !! Had it years now & it does a brilliant job!

Can't be ar*ed with slicers tbh when I have good knives that do the job much better with less fuss.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:If I'm mashing eggs, I'll use the slicer twice (to get egg cubes) for a good start before using the fork.
I did try using the slicer to do mushrooms, but I was going to knacker it pretty quickly.

I do exactly the same if I want to mash eggs for an egg mayo sarnie .. :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:26 pm

I do have an avocado slice... somewhere.

Postby liketocook » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:05 pm

I have an egg slicer which I do use (for sliced egg & tomato sandwiches mainly) but for egg mayo, egg in a cup, bananas, avocados etc. I love my https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mashy-Masher-E ... B0001XXCZ6 :D though it seems to be discontinued :( . I think I bought it at a Good Food Show or Ideal Homes Exhibition many, many, many moons ago and it has more than earned it's keep. It's perfect for when a coarse mash is required, easily washed and is a much loved part of my kitchen kit. They must have been relatively recently discontinued as I bought one for each of my kids as a stocking filler the first Christmas after they left home.
For tomatoes, cheese and similar I swear by Victorinox tomato knives - cheap & cheerful but handy for so many things. :D

Postby Rainbow » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:11 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Gillthepainter wrote:If I'm mashing eggs, I'll use the slicer twice (to get egg cubes) for a good start before using the fork.
I did try using the slicer to do mushrooms, but I was going to knacker it pretty quickly.

I do exactly the same if I want to mash eggs for an egg mayo sarnie .. :thumbsup

That's a great idea!!
I have an egg slicer but hardly ever use it. I'll try this - must go and hard boil an egg for lunch, now :)

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:13 am

:lol: :lol:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox