Register

Conchiglie pasta shells vegan fillings pls

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Conchiglie pasta shells vegan fillings pls

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:36 pm

I mean the big shells c.1.5"(4cm). By vegan, I mean that fish, meat, egg is out, but I can translate milk and cheese into vegan version; please say if cheese needed is melty sort though.

The mention of squash and sage (Badger's Mate, ta) made me realise I was blinkered in the cheese/tom path when it could be all sorts...

All ideas welcome, vegan or otherwise of course.

Ta.

Re: Conchiglie pasta shells vegan fillings pls

Postby DEB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:41 pm

I use a lentil ragu similar to this one but I use puy lentil/Canadian green often. For the shells I would top with a mix similar to Gremolata although you would have to use something other than cheese or leave it out.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:17 pm

The Rotolo recipe on the autumn thread, courtesy of Smitch (thank you :thumbsup ) has reminded me of borage ravioli. Which is a variation on the spinach & ricotta theme, so spinach/chard/borage and whatever you would sub for ricotta. It's finished with butter or OO or a walnut pesto.

Anyway, I'm sure you can conjure up something with the shells.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 am

Since you sepcifically stated, no shellfish or fish or meat, A Pasta alla Norma, from Sicilia would be perfect ..

The ingredients are:
Aubergine
Evoo
Tomato
Courgette
Fresh herbs of choice (Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano and Parsely )

Garlic and onion ..

Salt and Fresh ground black pepper to taste ..

Create a cross between a Pisto Manchego and a Ratatouille and use a large " pipette " and stuff the big pasta shells ..

Sauté the cooked shells in the sauce just to get real warm and enjoy .. Lovely .. Of course, some Pecorino Sardo or Reggiani Parmigiani would be perfect if you wish a teaspoon sprinkle ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Different pastas for different sauces.
Since you´ve got huge shells, you want a sauce that will fit snugly in the middle.
You could use the tomato sauce recipe for pasta e fagioli - make a base from finely diced onions, celery and carrots, add tomato passata and then add those wonderful, meaty borlotti beans. Or chickpeas.
Or you could gently fry cubes of aubergine, courgette, onion and tomato; then add black olives, a touch of balsamic, a few capers, some fresh chiles-and cannelli beans.
They´d also work well cooked in a ratatouille base. Add more liquid to the ratatouille, pre - cook the conchiglie and finish in the oven.

Postby jeral » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Just to say thanks folks; catch ye'all later.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox