Register

Mango Chutney

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Mango Chutney

Postby DEB » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am

The brand of mango chutney clearly has "improved" it and now it is far too spicy for me. Does anyone have a good recipe of this?

Re: Mango Chutney

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:37 am

Hi DEB

I have seen a recipe online (link below), but have never made it. It might be worth a try though, at least you will be able to cut back on the spices if you think it will be too much for your palate.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/485 ... le-chutney

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Not a recipe - but if you wanted to use that mango chutney up, a tbls in an Indian curry towards the end of cooking is a good addition, as is lime chutney.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:16 pm

For almost 15 years, I ran a chutney/jam/conserve/hot sauce company over here. Here´s one of (15) recipes I developed - you can cut back on the chiles if you wish.
Clive's Mango Chutney

1 kg mangos, slightly underripe
6 cloves garlic
1 1 inch piece fresh ginger
6 fresh chiles (cayenne?) -- seeded and deveined
1 pound dark brown sugar
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup white wine vinegar

Peel the mangoes and chop into small cubes.

Peel the garlic cloves, and place in a blender with the ginger, chilies and vinegar; pulse until thoroughly blended.

Mix all the ingredients in a heavy pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring more frequently towards the end (the chutney can stick to the bottom of the pan). Allow to cool and bottle. Should make about four 10 oz jars.

It will take about 30 days for the full flavor to develop

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:50 pm

I can vouch for this though I'm in the the more chillis the better camp!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:20 pm

karadekoolaid, if your mango chutney takes about 30 days to develop, do you do that sterilising by simmering thingy once put into jars to preserve it, please?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:50 am

do you do that sterilising by simmering thingy once put into jars to preserve it, please?

Errr, yes. But that doesn´t make it develop faster.
Once the chutney is prepared, you can process it in a water bath; ie. place the jars up to their necks in boiling water and leave to boil for 20 minutes or so. Remove. Cool. Result?
You have a hermetic seal on the jar and a vacuum between the product and the lid, so it won´t damage.
That´s all.
Leaving it 30 days helps the flavours to develop. In the recipes I quoted, you´ve got loads of spices, wine vinegar, sugar, etc. which need to develop. You can eat the mango chutney the same day if you wish; it´ll just taste even better 30, 60 or 90 days later.

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:39 am

Thanks karadekoolaid :) I was hoping you'd give the how-to instructions and you have, so double thanks.

May I ask another question, which is how you get vacuum'd lids off? In the good old days, it was to make a pin prick hole in the lid or stand the metal lid upside down in a spot of just boiled water so that the metal expands more than the glass. Is there a proper way to loosen a hermetically sealed lid, other than gadgets which don't usually work? Ta. (Or should that be triple ta...)

PS Brute force and ignorance doesn't work, as the former I don't have.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 am

I feel for you; I used to be able to rip lids off jars with my bare teeth.... :clap
but now I just bonk them on the kitchen table a few times, then the top comes off.

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:18 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I feel for you; I used to be able to rip lids off jars with my bare teeth.... :clap
but now I just bonk them on the kitchen table a few times, then the top comes off.

I recall the days when my eye lashes were long enough to flutter. Might have to resort to bonking on the table now though ;)

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:03 am

Nice looking chutney Clive! I've added it to my to-do list.

jeral wrote: Might have to resort to bonking on the table now though

:shock: h I say matron……… :shock: :shock:

I find an elastic band around the rim of the lid works Jeral, or having a rubber glove on the hand doing the opening - gives a better grip.

But maybe you prefer a good bonk on the table :lol:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox