Register

Pat yourself on the back

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pat yourself on the back

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm

What can you take full credit for?
Go on. Big it up. Home grown, thought up all by yourself, sourced, worked for, nurtured, enjoyed.

My full credit is bread I guess, and it took a while to get there.
I can take 3 ingredients minimum, and make a super loaf/ cracker/ cake/ crumpets/ pitta

Sourdough for me.

What are you proud of?

Re: Pat yourself on the back

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Gil, The Painter,

Lovely bread & baked goods ..

Congratulations .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a nice day .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Question: What am I proud of ?

Professional:

Our travel tour business which we started from scratch as a separate department in my parents company.
Certification in a variety of qualified skills and educational, holding a Masters.

To be honest, there is not just one thing I am proud of .. There are uncountable ..

Family:

Our twin sons and their success.
Our 2 grandsons aged 7 and 8 ( each of our sons have 1 son

Gastronomically:

I shall go with: My tradtional shellfish rices ( paellas, fideaù and Carnaroli Risotto)

Have a lovely day .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Sad to see that my last "successful" attempt at sourdough seems to have been nine years ago :-(

I've made loads of fabulous bread over the years that I am proud to post piccies of, but I think in terms of artisan breads your sourdough there is a step beyond.

Postby jeral » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:30 pm

I'm not proud of any one thing that would match your highly accomplished sourdough, Gillthepainter.

My own concoction for a deep filled, double-crust, short pastry vegan pie, based on re-fried black beans and with the satisfyingly earthy taste they give, is worth picking a knife and fork up for. (Luckily I wrote it ail down, as no way would I want to plan the thing from scratch again.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:52 pm

I made Staffordshire Oatcakes and savoury cheese filling to go with them for a supper club

About a third of the attendees are professional foodies (writers, bakers etc.) - they did not know either delicacy and loved them

The also rather liked my Trinidad style marinated chicken

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Mind you, looking through my old bread pix, this brioche was pretty near perfect!

Postby jeral » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Stokey Sue, yours is definitely a film moment, viz. accept compliments gracefully, then go off camera and jump in the air shouting Yaaaay!

Sakkarin's brioche "just in". You too a "Yay!".

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:58 pm

I think my moment culinary-wise was 2 years ago when I came up with a booze free Christmas mincemeat recipe. It was very successful, and neither of us missed the alcohol. We were suffering form a severe case of financial cramp at the time due to me being out of work. However, it is also great for both permanent or temporary teetotallers. As one of my colleagues is expecting a baby at Christmas, I may just make her a jar so at least she can enjoy the festivities without worrying. Funnily enough, we were only talking about home-made edible Christmas gifts yesterday, although I am sure it was just coincidental!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Sakkarin,

Absolutely incredibly amazing Brioche .. :yum :yum

Thank you for posting the photograph.

All my best regards.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:51 am

I suppose I´d have to go for my chutneys etc.
My beetroot and tamarind chutney always goes down a treat. My C4 hot sauce drove people wild for a while. Then there was a Sweet Chile Jelly which everyone wanted to use with fried food. All original recipes.

And I suppose that, giving regular courses ( Indian food, conserves, amuse-bouche, etc.) at one of the best restaurants in Caracas AND ( recently) at Marriott hotels - not bad for an old git with no training!
:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 am

Oh aren't we a talented bunch.
Member 461, I'm very pleased to see fideua as your personal treasure. It's a marvellous dish.

Strictly, what a lovely story.
And isn't it just the case! that when it comes to the thinnest celebration money-wise, you have the best one.
We'll be asking you for recipes when the time comes.

Sue
What's your Trinidad chicken please? Those oatcakes sound amazing.

I know your great at bread, Sakkers. I've seen the evidence. But the brioche, I could take a couple of slices right this minute with my morning coffee.
Keep the crust - I prefer others to have that.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:58 am

Morning Jeral.
My husband adores a pie. Yours must have been absolutely super.
I've made a vegan moussaka before with black beans. It wasn't in the least bit "meat substitute", which I found all the better.

not bad for an old git with no training!

Hahaha.
I wondered if you'd mention your sauces. I wish I'd tried them too.

And it's quite the accomplishment to do your food courses = a second accomplishment to excel at. Well done.

............... off to look up oatcake recipes, I fancy making them.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Thank you Gil, The Painter, :thumbsup

Yes, Shellfish Fideaù is a family tradition here .. :yum

Postby Alexandria » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Thank you Gil, The Painter, :thumbsup

Yes, Shellfish Fideaù is a family tradition here .. :yum

Postby dennispc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Snap Gill. It would be sourdough for me plus the willingness (confidence?) to be experimental. Took me time to get there, though still don't produce stuff across the range.

Here's my first attempt at spelt sourdough – thick butter and my damson jam. Wish I hadn't posted that it's making me drool!

spelt sourdough 2.jpg

First attempt at using a banneton

banneton.jpg

and earlier in the year, a friend had mentioned using a pyrex casserole dish, plus, from the internet using muslin, not cloth.

cassserole loaf.jpg

I felt really pleased recently when getting flavour into simple meals, which was further enhanced recently when daughter and granddaughter were staying. Hospital visiting created havoc with meal times – our sixty year old daughter one evening described me as just like a Jewish Momma, always food available. I'd have preferred another metaphor but took the glory anyway.

Sakkarin's brioche – I'm drooling again and thinking brioche marmalade bread and butter pudding.

So many nice stories, strictly I remember your “financial cramp” time, what a delicate way of putting it and so glad it's in the past.

Member 461, Jeral, Kld, Strictly and Sue, I'm in awesome company, I hope more members post.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Absolutely GLORIOUS bread, Petronius! Worthy of high merit! I´d love to taste some of that one day!

Postby Alexandria » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Petronious,

Wow .. All these gorgeous looking breads .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely day .. :wave

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:12 pm

I could murder a slice of the sourdough with damson jam - it looks awesome! Well done! :clap :clap
As you're now officially a Jewish momma you'll have to start making Jewish penicillin (chicken soup) for your good lady!

Postby jeral » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Petronius wrote:...[clip]...
... I'm in awesome company, I hope more members post.

Yes me too on both counts, and right back at yer :)
(I can only aspire to being awesome company, being fair-to-middling company.)

Gillthepainter, thanks very much for the blackbean moussaka tip :thumbsup

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox