Register

Triple cooked chips

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: Triple cooked chips

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:27 pm

I'm pretty sure I've used citric acid in the past when there's been no lemon juice to hand :-(

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:18 am

he he he.

I remember you made your own vinegars, Joan.
I sometimes buy jerry cans of white (5ltrs) at our local market for Tony's jobs round the house. Mostly he pours it in the washing machine.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:48 am

I was brought up with the idea that vinegar meant malt vinegar. When I was a kid anything else was exotic (wine or cider) or cheap and synthetic (non-brewed or distilled) and I still haven't grasped the notion of putting lemons on everything.

I do use other vinegars these days, particularly cider (I've also never quite understood why people call it apple cider vinegar), but it's definitely malt vinegar on chips.

I remember seeing Heston on the telly and he was quite precise about the first cooking of the chips. He cooked them at a very gentle simmer, possibly using a thermometer to manage the temperature, (I can't quite remember that bit), but then drying them in the fridge iirc.

When sous vide first came out there was a lot of old toffee on the BBC boards about how it had all been done before, crockpots, hayboxes etc. One or two of the 'establishment' were quite dismissive, which simply revealed that they didn't understand the process.

Yes the chips at Quo Vadis were lovely, and I didn't even order them! :oops: :D

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:53 am

I sometimes buy jerry cans of white (5ltrs) at our local market for Tony's jobs round the house. Mostly he pours it in the washing machine.

Cheap vinegar is used in our house for descaling the kettle. I used to use citric acid from work or a 'Continental' (i.e. Sub-Continental) grocers

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 pm

I don’t use vinegar for cleaning, after using full strength acetic acid for years in labs I can’t stand the smell, even handling it.

Postby kavey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Whenever we do homemade chips, we do triple cooked these days, and they are, in my opinion, much better in texture (crisp on the outside, soft and fluffy inside) than once or twice cooked.

https://www.kaveyeats.com/2016/07/hesto ... chips.html

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox