Register

For my kitchen

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

For my kitchen

Postby mark111757 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 pm

I found this in the new food and home entertaining (south Africa)

Thought about framing it and putting it in my kitchen

IMG_20180911_133448_426.JPG
IMG_20180911_133448_426.JPG (40.52 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

Re: For my kitchen

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Mark,

Yes, it is more true today however, our grandmothers or great grand mothers surely did not !

Good post,

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:52 pm

mark111757, Traditionally, satirical quotes or cartoons tend to be given pride of place in, er, the loo. True dat. Although written in earnest, the last sentence in your photo clip would make it a prime candidate. I'm not a man but it's hard to miss the double entendré ;)

Back to earth, yes for baking, not so much otherwise - i.e. just do better next time if you follow the "bung it in" school of thinking :oops:

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:39 am

Quite agree, Mark.
although I refuse to use cups and tsps - I prefer grammes and kilos.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:36 am

Cups are from a different tradition - I weigh things that might normally be measured by cups, although I have used those measures which have got a filling line for so many ounces of flour, sugar, rice or dried fruit.

Teaspoons and tablespoons though are surely the standard way of dispensing salt and spices.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 am

I only half agree - possibly mostly with Jeral :thumbsup but she never owned a set of scales or measuring cups or spoons

My garnny was a wonderful cook, especially in the baking dept but she never owned a set of scales or measuring cups or spoons in her life. She did everything by look and feel. She would say "Have a stir of this hinny. That's how it should feel"
I have always been able to cut a lump of butter to withing a few grammes of what I need.

Of course when I wrote recipes I had to be more precise and, what's more, they had to be in metric and imperial measures and sometimes American cups too.

I am rarely that accurate when not baking. I usually do that by tasting and looking, so often it is quite difficult to get a recipe out of me. :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm

I weigh and measure when following a recipe for the first time but much cooking doesn’t require it - making a frittata from the oddments in the fridge for example or adding liquid to a stew or sauce to give just the right amount and consistency as it cooks down

I prefer to weigh but of course I use teaspoons for salt and spices

I have a set of cups, well the stainless steel cup measures shaped like long handled saucepans or dippers, and while I wouldn’t use them as my primary measures for baking I do find them useful - for example a quarter cup of batter makes a perfect Staffordshire oatcake in an 8 inch pan and they are good for portioning things out

Postby mark111757 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Jeral

Never would have caught the double entendré and a good one too. Thanks for pointing it out.

Gran was a good one for bunging things together. She made some great great baking powder biscuits. So light and fluffy in the middle. And they were always consistent.and she was almost 100 when she died....

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:17 am

mark111757 wrote:Jeral

Never would have caught the double entendré and a good one too. Thanks for pointing it out.

Gran was a good one for bunging things together. She made some great great baking powder biscuits. So light and fluffy in the middle. And they were always consistent.and she was almost 100 when she died....

Me neither Mark!
My gran was 6 weeks off 100 when she died. She never possessed any scales, measuring jugs/spoons/cups either but came up with some sublime food. When I was young, she lived in a big Victorian house and cooked on an open fire range until the late 1960s (similar to the 1st picture here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/328551735286862935). My dad installed a gas cooker for her but after using it for a few months, she went back to the range!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox