Register

Fruited balsamic vinegar?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Fruited balsamic vinegar?

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Anyone tried making any or come across it? E.g. a blackcurrant one from a company plugging it to add to EVOO as dressing, or their grapefruit balsamic one, giving a cocktail recipe with sage leaves, honey, salt, lime juice, Seltzer and vodka: http://seasonstaproom.com/recipes/all/g ... age-tonic/

My brain refuses to envisage what that tastes like. So, place at top of to-do list or bottom?

Re: Fruited balsamic vinegar?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Aspall do an apple balsamic, which is usually easy to find and not expensive. It’s conventional grape balsamic mixed with apple. It’s ok, nice with beetroot in particular but I wouldn’t get excited. Mind you, I loathe those fruity flavoured vinegars such as raspberry can’t see the attraction

Nadiya this morning was visiting a man who makes fruit vinegars directly from the fruit, she liked them and they did appeal. It will still be on iPlayer of course.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:30 pm

I am not frutti tutti or a grand enthusiast of anything too sweet .. or pre jarred mixtures ..

I have sampled thousands of vinegars however, the only vinegar we truly enjoy and which we use is Modena Aged 12 years and Modena aged 25 years for special occasions such as the Christmas Season and New Year´s as it is quite expensive ..

I once made my own vinegar ( white wine vinegar with fresh Genovese Basil ) .. :thumbsup

Fresh basil leaves in a sterilised jar ..
Heat the white wine vinegar just until it starts simmering and pour over the basil leaves or other fresh herbs in a jar and store in a dark cool place or pantry ..

Came out quite nicely ..

Have a nice weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks Stokey Sue re apple balsamic. I quite fancy that beetroot idea plus maybe white cabbage and possibly grated carrot as a coleslaw thingy. The bottled combo could be bypassed by adding grated apple, except it oxidises quickly, so the bottle would be handier for some things.

Member 461, good to hear your basil white wine vinegar was successful. Can't say any of us would muck about with posh balsamic unless dragged kicking and screaming ;)

Postby Renee » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:17 pm

As mentioned previously "somewhere", I love the white balsamic fruit vinegars which are made in California, but can't find them over here and they can't be shipped from America. I bought them once in Home Sense. (TKMaxx).

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Renée, I must admit to being dubious, but it sounds like such vinegars have a following. Perhaps the white balsamic one might pop up somewhere... Anyone fancy petitioning Aldi who seem quite good at such things? :mrgreen:

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Renée,

There is an Iberian Catalan Company called: Borges in Girona .. :thumbsup

They produce White Balsamic Fruity and non fruity bottled Vinegars and they export worldwide ..

I shall get their website for you to check out ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:55 pm

I like good white balsamic but the stuff from Lidl is horrid

I can dress a green salad with just white balsamic and a pinch of salt

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Renée,

BORGES: www.worldwideborges.es/ :clap :clap :clap :clap

The corporation, 1914 to present, and agriculture lands are in Lleida, Cataluna ..

They have: White Balsamic, White Apple Balsamic, Mediterranean, Balsamic Black and many others .. They also have lovely Catalan Evoos as well, and almond and olive products.

The website is in: English, Catalan, Spanish, French and Polish ..

They are decently priced and the products are quite good, far above average ..

Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions if you have them ..

Have a lovely weekend. :wave

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:04 am

Thank you very much Member 461! :clap :clap :clap I will have a good look through the website tomorrow.

Have a lovely weekend!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:23 am

Renée,

Have a lovely weekend .. :wino

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:42 am

My thoughts about fruited Balsamic are:
" If it ain´t broke, don´t fix it".
Balsamic vinegar on its own is wonderful - it´s such an ethereal flavour; fruity, tart, slightly sweet. Why is it necessary to fiddle around with it? Aged balsamic is even better - and yes, I´ve tried the 25 yr old stuff and it´s glorious. So why, oh why, oh why do producers feel the need to modify it with other fruit??
It´s like the beer in the USA at the moment. A delicious, creamy, dark, slightly bitter stout - and they have to screw it up with chocolate, coffee and God only knows what other idiotic ingredients.
And :crying2 don´t get me started on " Fettucine Alfredo" with jerk chicken, sun-dried shiitake mushrooms and roasted smoked garlic :twisted:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:03 am

ha ha ha.

I've gone off balsamic a bit although I know it's absolutely delicious. So frooty might be a nice change.
I'm preferring vinegar and oils, on my savoury leaves and tomatoes.

And don't get me started on those horrid cheap balsamics at food festivals.
Nasty dipping bowls to try with a piece of bread. No thank you.

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:16 am

Although I understand what you are saying about balsamic vinegar KK, I find that the Californian fruity white balsamic vinegars make a lovely light salad dressing to go with salmon or chicken. The ones that I have used are Sonoma Pomegranate White Balsamic and Raspberry White Balsamic and I just can't buy them in the UK.

https://shop.tastesonomaharvest.com/ind ... D16C28042E

One thing that I don't understand is flavoured coffees, which seem to be popular in the US. I like coffee to taste like coffee!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:27 am

OOo they look particularly nice, Renee.
I might just wean myself back onto balsamic. Probly the white one?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:54 am

Renee wrote:
One thing that I don't understand is flavoured coffees, which seem to be popular in the US. I like coffee to taste like coffee!

During the winter months, I do enjoy the occasional winter spiced latte to warm me up. I don't bother with those expensive syrups though. I just add a level or scant teaspoon of ground mixed spice to it which does the trick.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:36 am

Karakoolaide,

Definitely, in agreement ..

25 Year old aged Modena (it is sustainable) Balsamic Vinegar is: "Dignified for the Gods" .. a true jewel .. (Pricey even in Modena ! ) .. :clap

I use the 12 year old for daily salads when home and for the holiday season and special occasions, the 25 year old year old ..

As a rule, I am not into sweet salad dressings or ones with creamy textures. I prefer Evoo and Balsamic Black !

The Usa trend for marketing is add this and that without a thought on taste, just marketing & economic return of profit & Bayer Monsanto pay offs in pockets .. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Member 461

I do agree with you over sweet salad dressings. I have seen some that have made me gag just reading the recipe. Mind you, I am like that with anything that gaspingly over-sweet, even desserts! in a few moments I will be making some small banoffee crumble cakes for a colleague in work, who celebrates is 50th birthday this Tuesday. Banoffee Pie is his favourite pudding (not mine:vomit), so I hope he will like my twist on it. :crossed.

Wish me luck everyone, and sorry to go off topic!

When it comes to vinegars, I like both wine and cider vinegars, but I've never tried any other fruit based ones, even at foodie festivals.

Postby Pampy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Last year, I bought a number of eye-wateringly expensive fruit vinegars (not balsamic). I seem to recall starting a thread about the purchase. I have to say that they are well worth the money. The vinegars are fabulous and I generally use them on salads with a bit of good evoo (preferably Greek) and black pepper. Which one I use depends on the main ingredient of the salad. My favourite is lemon, which is so refreshing and is ideal with something like steamed salmon. Despite the high price, I'll definitely buy them again.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Strictly Salsa,

Yes, I was born without a "sweet tooth " .. I love fresh fruit however, my faves are veered toward: Tart pale red and pale green wild Apples, Bosc Red Pears, Fresh Figs, Aragón Peaches, Sapo de Piel Green Melon from Castilla La Mancha ( Sapo de Piel = The Skin of the Toad ) & all wild Berries ..

However, as fruit ..

I am not keen on " fruiti tutti" desserts, milk chocolate or sugary desserts particulary.

My 2 fave traditional desserts are Italian: Traditional tiramisù ( love caffé espresso ) and Sicilian Cannolli traditionally made, no chocolate chips ..

I also like a real traditional tart tart apple pie made from scratch .. None of that frozen dough or puff pastry stuff ..

And heaven forbid, plastic doughnuts or plastic cookies ! No thank you ..

I too only like Black Balsamic aged vinegars, and wine vinegars depending of course how using or type of salad ..

We say " each to his or her own " .. Everybody has a different palate and preferences ..

Have a nice day .. :wino :wino

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox