Register

Las Tortillitas de Camarones: Cadiz Prawn Appetiser

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Las Tortillitas de Camarones: Cadiz Prawn Appetiser

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:11 pm

One of the true culinary treasures of Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Cádiz and the surrounding coastal sea villages, are Tortillitas de Camarones, a Paradise of pleasure for those who love a crispy type of prawn cracker .. to pair with your Sherry ..

My my, forgot to translate the cúrcuma which is tumeric, however, I corrected the mistake ..

They are simple to prepare, however, the key is the "batter " ..

Here is the recipe:

1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cúrcuma ( Tumeric )
1 litre room temperatura wáter ( Bottled )
200 grams of tiny prawns ( camaroñes )
150 grams of unbleached flour or ecological unbleached
50 grams of Chick Pea Flour
1 tiny onion minced
Spanish Evoo
Salt of choice to taste

How to´s:

1) Combine both flours in a large glass bowl ..
2) Add the cumin and the tumeric, and salt to taste.
3) Now, gently and slowly, add the wáter, and combine until there are no lumps and the texture is velvety smooth.
4) In a Deep skillet, add the Evoo, and make sure the Evoo is hot before adding a soup spoon amount of batter into the hot Oil .. Add the prawns and the onions into the well combined flour mixture with the spices ..
5) Fry until Golden toasty crispy on both sides.
6) Do not fret if the batter creates a " lacey " ( holes in batter ) crisp cracker like fritter ..

Enjoy these, they are heavenly !
Last edited by Alexandria on Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Las Tortillitas de Camarones: Cadiz Prawn Appetiser

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Having just done a quick Google, is curcuma turmeric?

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Strictly Salsa,

Yes, Tumeric = curcuma .. :lol:

So, sorry, forgot to translate !

Thank you for reminding me ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:49 pm

You're welcome! :)

Postby Renee » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:24 pm

I really love that recipe Member 461! :clap :clap :clap Would that be shallow frying with a small amount of oil or deep frying?

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 pm

I think Member 461 means in a pan deep enough with enough oil (no more than half way up for saftely) such that the dollops float on the surface to be flipped over like a doughnut. Maybe I've misunderstood and Member 461 will clarify.

I would worry about having lot of fish-tasting EVOO left but it could be saved via double (two fine sieves nestled) strained, once cold) in a bottle for future fish-frying.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Renée, ( & Jeral ) ..

These are just heavenly divine and are a lovely appetiser or mid day snack prior to lunch.

I prepare in a medium sized frying pan, and fill the Evoo about 1 / 4 from bottom .. So they are in between a " sauté " and a deep fry ..

They are deliciously light ( the chickpea flour = non porous ) so they are not greasy .. Place on absorbent paper towels on a tray when frying ..

Just make sure batter is velvety smooth but do "not" blend the prawns ! They are tiny and provide the texture .. But the batter is thick but velvety smooth except for the tiny pink prawns.

They are prepared similar to a "pancake" and let them get toasty golden and flip to the other side with a wide spatula ..

They are a marvel with a Brava or Mojo Chili Picante Salsa, or Ali Oli or a Teriyaki Sauce or any sauce that you enjoy with Prawns ..

Please note: 3 or 4 are quite filling due to the chickpea flour !!!

Note: The Tortillitas are not good warm or cold. They are delicious "hot" !! So tent them on the paper towelling !

Enjoy ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox