Register

Zillions of uses for the humble spud

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Zillions of uses for the humble spud

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:00 pm

jeral wrote:
Back on spuds, if no spice in Thai bubble, is it because spud works (assuming slightly greasy) as a foil to hot chilli as milk is?

I think Auntie was aiming for proper Cockney bubble - but the cabbage in the kitchen was Chines and she couldn’t imagine it without at least some onion and garlic! Then she stuck with the cabbage as the mild flavour and texture worked well Simple as that
Potatoes do work well with a little chilli though - think patatas bravas, aloo gobi spiced wedges whether made with spuds or sweet potatoes

Spell checker tried to turn aloo gobi into sly hobo :lol:

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]...
Spell checker tried to turn aloo gobi into sly hobo :lol:

After my flurry of posts earlier, I'm amidst a flurry of taxing tasks, so peeked in for a quick breather.

"Sly hobo" made me fall off my chair and will keep me going with a smile enduringly through a good few more tasks... :D

As you were...

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:10 pm

Lush - that´s the difference between making the spuds from an authentic recipe ( but "travelling" via the internet) and actually eating them in the Canary Isles.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:25 pm

:thumbsup :thumbsup dead right Clive...………..!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:40 pm

I Google Imaged "Sly Hobo" to see what it would come up with (thinking there might be a cheery pic), and it threw up loads of handbags...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sly+hob ... 72&bih=798

Postby Alexandria » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Karakoolaide,

Definitely, you are right on .. :thumbsup

With Papas Arrugadas ( wrinkled Canarian potatoes ), they are always served with 2 tiny earthenware or ramekins of the Mojo Salsas, 1 red ( chili pep ) and 1 green mild ( sweet pepper).

With Patatas Bravas, Smoked Paprika & Chili Sauce, and also with Ali Oli, the 2 sauces are drizzled over the potatoes, 1/2 with the Brava and 1/2 with the ali oli ( unless you request, to have sauces put separately ) ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wino :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Stokey Sue wrote: Potatoes do work well with a little chilli though - think patatas bravas, aloo gobi spiced wedges whether made with spuds or sweet potatoes

I make an Indian dish of potatoes with mustard seed which has a healthy amount of chilli in it - it's very tasty and a nice alternative to rice with a curry.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:57 am

Noice.
I make a side that also includes turmeric which I'm not sure is necessary. But we don't eat rice, Pampy.

Re wrinkly potatoes, I make the verde sauce. I've got a tiny old picture somewhere of new potatoes made thusly. Not made with seawater as we are land bound here, but the salt reduces down to a pleasing dusting.
Marja recommended an excellent Cookbook that I use often.
My kitchen in Spain - & it's in English.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Gil, The Painter,

Author Janet Mandel, from the Usa, had spent alot of time in Andalusia and The Madrid Capital writing and publishing several books, including the one you mentioned in your post.

The best of her books, in my viewpoint is, the one on Tapas however, she has adjusted ingredients for the regional North American palates for example: In Spain we do not use red pepper flakes in a tin. We use, " guindillas ", tiny dried red horn shaped chili peppers and crumble 1 or 2 tiny ones for our sauces ( Brava & The Canarian Mojo Picón Rojo = The piquant or spicy red salsa ) ..

We also do not use "jalapeños " or serrano green mild chili peppers .. These are Mexican ..

We have our own green chili peppers, for example, Pimientos de Padrón ( Padrón, Galicia ) and these are simply fried with a pinch of sea salt and eaten in uncountable bars / taverns as a Tapa ..

So, for this reason, I am not a grand fan of Janet Mendel´s books .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The books in English on Spanish Regional Recipes I would recommend are:

1) Chef José Andrés ( Made in Spain was a tv programme of his in Spanish in the early 2,000´s .. and he had also did it in English on the East Coast ) ..

2) The Complete Spanish Cookbook ( Australian Published )

3) Alicia Ríos ( Has been on the B.B.C. ) ( Mediterranean Cooking )

4) Maybe in English: Basque T.V. Chef Karlos Arguiñano .. ( he is incredible and his récipes are extraordinarily simple and authentically traditional with evolutionary touches )

I am in Cádiz so I cannot look in my Library at home until 17th when I leave Cádiz !!

So have a lovely weekend .. :wino

There are uncountable others in English ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:17 am

Well I really like the recipes in this book.
At the time, I was looking for pinchitos, and got just what I wanted from it. And I know enough about Spanish food to understand what goes into something.
I've got a few in Spanish, that I'm perfectly happy in picking up too.

Tending to have brought back litres of local spanish olive oil usually helps me too.
I'm not sure everyone has that in their kitchens, but it aids the results I'm expecting.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Gil, The Painter,

As we say, " to each his or her own " ..

However, if you can read Spanish, the books of Basque Chef & Hotelier Karlos Arguiñano are incredible and he is the most renowned Chef & Professor of The Basque Culinary Institute in the country.

He had the same training as the Basque Three Michelin Chefs, and his récipes are simple to follow using known easy to purchase ingredients .. He has an amazingly wonderful book on Pinxtos and Tapas .. ( has about 10 books & videos - all exemplary ) ..

Have a nice day .. :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:42 pm

I don't really get why you need to keep saying each to his own, Member 461.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:49 pm

I can vouch for Karlos Arguiñano. I´ve got a couple of his books; no nonsense, straightforward, tasty recipes. Well done Karlos!
And his wife Eva doesn´t do bad with the sweets, either!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:02 am

Karakoolaide,

Definitely an amazing team ! :clap :clap :clap

Pastry Chef Eva Arguiñano is the sister of Chef Karlos Arguiñano ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:33 am

At this time of year, in this house, potatoes are an essential ingredient of Fidget Pie. Bacon, apple, onion, potato and herbs in short crust. I usually use sage, sometimes thyme or rosemary. This year there might be one with Herbes de Provence (thanks Joan :thumbsup ).

If the mixture is made with plenty of spud to soak up the liquid, it makes good pasties for picnics. Alternatively it can be used as a wrap for the same purpose, or placed in the centre of a circle of bread dough and baked to make stuffed rolls. :yum

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:20 am

Your circle of bread dough has reminded me of parathas that I make.
Potatoes are made for Indian food.

With potato and peas.

Clive, you will probably confirm that you coil them?
But here I shaped them like I would a little dinner roll.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 am

Gil, The Painter,

Nicely done ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks, Member 461.
You certainly have the spices over there for these Indian favourites.
In fact, we can sometimes find fantastic restaurants your way.
We had a brilliant meal at l'estartit.
Such a shame it was our last night before moving on.
As we could have gone back.

Spanish/Indian owners.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Member 461:
Thanks for the correction. I´m sure Eva would not be pleased to know I´d married her off to her brother. :gonzo :gonzo
Gill:
Yep - I curl them. Roll the dough into a long sausage, curl it, flatten it, more ghee, more ghee, more curling! Your version looks very interesting though. Does it make the paratha flakier?

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Probly the opposite?.
More breadly, tearable. I must make them and see the real difference.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox