Register

Zillions of uses for the humble spud

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Zillions of uses for the humble spud

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:45 pm

... so never need to be stuck for choice!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potato_dishes
Gosh, it must have taken ages to compile that little lot and the individual links for each. Kudos. (There are over 100 links on the sub-page I clicked on.)
---

Now for a A delightful snippet of information:
I mentioned bubble & squeak elsewhere. Well apparently my veggie version (spud, cabbage, onion) is called Rumbledethumps in Scotland :D That version is baked with a cheese topping.

The linked page says, quote:
"In January 2009, Gordon Brown submitted a recipe for rumbledethumps to a cookbook for Donaldson's School for the Deaf, describing it as his favourite food.[2]

Chef Tom Kitchin cooked rumbledethumps as part of his Scottish menu in the fourth series of the BBC television programme Great British Menu in 2009.[3]"

[2] Hayward, Tim (2009-01-05). "Gordon Brown makes a hash of it". London: Guardian News and Media Limited - guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-07-05.

[3] Great British Menu: Scotland Main, BBC Website, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-09.)
---

Good to see that Chip Butty and Crisp Sandwiches get a link too :thumbsup

Re: Zillions of uses for the humble spud

Postby Alexandria » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Jeral,

Thank you for posting the link .. :thumbsup

My fave potatoes are: Patatas Bravas with a traditional Pimentón de La Vera Smoked Paprika, Chili (guindilla, dry red horn chili pepper) salsa and an Ali oli ( similiar to home made mayonnaise) ..

Have a nice day .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Tasty find, Jeral.
Of that list, 2 things have me salivating, sarladaise potatoes = slurp.
And russian salad.

1, I cannot stand the sight of - cheesy chips.
We were in an Oxford/ Morse pub needing food. And the women kept on ordering cheesy chips.
Please, just order normal chips and mayonnaise, Honestly!

Postby Renee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you for posting the link for that fabulous website and so many recipes too!

There are so many that I would love to make. My thick home made chips are nice, par-boiled for 6 minutes, drained and roasted in a mix of butter/oil with sliced shallots and herbs to give flavour.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Renée,

Yes, billions of potato / tuber recipes ! A true exploration !!

As mentioned, my fave is: Patatas Bravas .. I also enjoy a baked Jack too once in awhile .. Just a little bit of French butter and some Basque sea salt with a tiny swig of Rosemary ..

Another fave are " Galician Cachelos " ( a tiny Galician Inca yellow potato with very thin skin and a creamy interior of Ivory yellow, with Pulpo a la Gallega ( octopus ) served on a wooden board in Galician establishments ..

Have fun and a lovely evening .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Amyw » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Interesting link Jeral. I think my favourite has to be potato dauphinois or roast potatoes , cooked in duck fat so they’re really crispy . Can’t beat a decent roastie

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:10 pm

I know Londoners who call a bubble type dish rumbledethumps- Riocaz for one

Best bubble was made by the Thai cafe; potato, Chinese (Napa) cabbage, onions, and enough garlic to leave a scent trail. Touch of carrot for colour contrast (very Thai!)

I’ve taken to making baked (jacket) spuds by what regular listeners to the Kitchen Cabinet as the Laughlin method, espoused by Zoe Laughlin. You cut a thin line through the skin round the equator, rub with oil and salt (or not if in a hurry) and leave for s long time in an oven around 120-140 C. They can be reheated so I make a batch and keep for quick meals. Better and cheaper than the frozen ones.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Sue,

Good suggestion for the jacks ..

I take some Evoo and rub the scrubbed clean and dry jacks with it, slice a very fine cut on equator or vertically and then wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them for 1 hour + a few minutes on 180 Centig. degrees.

They come out extraordinarily tender on the interior ..

Have a nice evening. :wave :wave

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks for the method.

I found a reference to the optimum internal temp of a baked spud when done, being 100C, as once reached the part just under the skin starts drying out.

Stokey Sue, thanks for the Thai bubble. No spice, just garlic yes?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:35 am

Yes, one of the few things that didn’t get chilli added

The Thai cafe is a local institution, started out as a classic greasy spoon caff about 30 years ago, doing big fried English breakfasts and basic lunches. Soon they started doing a small amount of Thai food in the evenings, the two strands had a lot of crossover (hence the bubble) Then they turned into full time Thai food place, no breakfasts and phased out lunches. Known for its kitsch decor (you should have seen the illuminated plastic roses) and good cheap eats.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:39 am

Stop it.
I am itching to go out for a meal, but have to wait till next weekend. We are going out with Tony's brother and his new wife in Totnes.
But I want Thai food TODAY!

Postby Alexandria » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:44 am

Gil, The Painter & Sue,

I am a grand enthusiast of Thai Cuisine, particulary The Phuket Island cuisine .. It is amazingly exquisite ..

We truly enjoyed our trip to Bangkok and Phuket Island three years ago ..

Unfortunately, The Iberian Peninsula is not the best country in the world to eat Thai ..

I have found Paris to be alot better if we are speaking about foreign cities closer to home for Thai or London, however, we have not been to London in quite sometime ..

The best Thai we have had in Spain, is in Alcobendas, Madrid: Silk & Soy .. Quite amazing .. It is 35 minutes north, outside of the Capital, in Alcobendas ..

Enjoy your weekend Ladies. :wave :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:13 pm

I’d love to go to Thailand and spend time there, I just had a week in Bangkok on business. Had some great food at both ends of the scale, as I was staying in the Four Seasons and at lunch time my colleagues found me fantastic street food that I’d enjoy and wouldn’t upset my tummy (advantage of working with medics and clinical scientist :) )

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:50 pm

That´s an extraordinary link, Jeral - all those lovely spuds!
The very first in the list is " Ajiaco" - a Colombian soup dish popular in Bogotá. It´s basically a chicken soup, with three different varieties of potato, topped with avocado and capers. It also uses a herb called "guasca", which gives it a distinct flavour.
There´s also an interesting recipe there from the Canary Islands - "wrinkly potatoes", they call them. Over there they call them "papas arrugadas" because they´re first cooked in heavily salted water ( originally they used seawater) and then left to dry out a bit in the pan. The traditional mojos ( dipping sauces) are red and green; one made with spicy chile peppers and the other with sweet green peppers. Really worth doing sometime - and the potatoes are not salty, curiously enough.

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks Stokey Sue. I can eat only mild chill so I miss out on some exciting nosh.) The illuminated plastic roses sound brilliant :D Is it a playful dig at Brits liking e.g. garden gnomes? The resto's transition is clever and so good it worked out for them, and diners of course.

I've only travelled in Europe and not surprisingly became a fan of "new food". Much easier here now to get ingredients to recreate.

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:42 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:That´s an extraordinary link, Jeral - all those lovely spuds! ...[clip]...

... and the potatoes are not salty, curiously enough.

Yes, I was staggered by the list and hope to work through it as there are so many quite different dishes, so instead of sticking to usuals or favourites.

Thanks for whetting our appetite with your versions :)

On salt but counter-intuitively no salt taste, have a read of Felicity Cloake (experimental chef columnist) re brining potatoes pre-baking. Scroll to "Brining" about half way down:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ket-potato
She doesn't explain why, just her findings, so on reflection not really much help at all, doh!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:52 pm

jeral wrote:Thanks Stokey Sue. I can eat only mild chill so I miss out on some exciting nosh.) The illuminated plastic roses sound brilliant :D Is it a playful dig at Brits liking e.g. garden gnomes? The resto's transition is clever and so good it worked out for them, and diners of course.

I think “Auntie” who owns the cafe brought the roses back from Thailand just as a nice decoration - one for each table instead of the usual fresh flower

Then she worked out that everyone else liked them because to western eyes they were the most kitsch thing we had ever seen. She got the joke fortunately. They became something of an institution and I remember seeing a customer sitting patiently repairing the last few.

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks Stokey Sue. Both charming and endearing, the history re roses, not to mention ideal (and again clever) since, if on each table, it keeps focus to stop "dead space in conversation " eyes glancing everywhere else for inspiration.

Back on spuds, if no spice in Thai bubble, is it because spud works (assuming slightly greasy) as a foil to hot chilli as milk is?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Karakoolaide,

Oh yes, Canarian Wrinkled Potatoes ! ( Papas Arrugadas ) Of course, do not forget the Mojo Picón Rojo & the Mojo Picón Verde ( The Hot Red Chili Salsa and The Mild Green Chili Salsa ) for dipping .. :thumbsup

Truly a jewel of a potato variety !

Have a lovely day .. :wave

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:There´s also an interesting recipe there from the Canary Islands - "wrinkly potatoes", they call them. Over there they call them "papas arrugadas" because they´re first cooked in heavily salted water ( originally they used seawater) and then left to dry out a bit in the pan. The traditional mojos ( dipping sauces) are red and green; one made with spicy chile peppers and the other with sweet green peppers. Really worth doing sometime - and the potatoes are not salty, curiously enough.

They are spot on Clive...….but the red mojo goes usually with the wrinkly spuds ( however hot you like it if made at home) & when there, I never saw the sauce used as a dipping, but poured over all the pots before serving :yum

Jeral - I'll have a look at that list when I get a mo' - I lurve spuds any which-way!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox