Register

Dessert apple & date turnovers - "lift the dish"?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Dessert apple & date turnovers - "lift the dish"?

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Considering a few of us identically do not like tasteless mealy red and golden delicious, it made me wonder how come they're so popular.

I seem to recall English apples lying in heaps unsold when supermarkets chose not to take them, or all of them, and orchards gave up. Perhaps they'll make a comeback after Brexit (assuming it happens).

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:37 pm

I actually haven’t seen a red or golden delicious in a market or supermarket in a long time, though they do seem to lurk in corner shops, so I don’t know how popular they really are?
Just me that thinks the peel of golden delicious has a weird dcrnt?

Braeburn seems to be the up and coming one, possibly because it doesn’t bruise easily so stores and transports well

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:44 pm

I believe the Red and Green Delicious apples first made their name because they were all perfect specimens; unlike Cox´s Orange Pippins, which were small and irregular in size.
I have to admit, I have never, nor will, ever, understood this absurd desire for standard-sized fruit and veg in supermarkets. Completely insane and undoubtedly mired in bureaucratic slime! :gonzo

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Yes, I thought about lack of uniformity issues with English apples, which I think was coupled with being uneasy to package evenly. Now that some supermarkets are selling "wonky" veg, and at the same time are being seriously hammered for unnecessary packing, can we hope that uniformity will be less "essential" in future?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:27 pm

I do hope so jeral!

Postby mark111757 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:44 pm

Talking of dates, here is something from the new sainsbury's magazine

IMG_20180926_174144_363.JPG
IMG_20180926_174144_363.JPG (99.91 KiB) Viewed 5901 times

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:01 am

Morning all

As most of you will know, my workplace has a farm, which was a fruit farm for years. We still have quite a sizable orchard even now. So Not surprisingly we also have a Horticulture area next to the farm. Anyway, yesterday, one of our maintenance guys was given a large basket of Red Devil apples for us in our department. I had one during the morning and it was gorgeous, with the most incredible red flesh!

As we are holding a Macmillan Coffee Morning tomorrow, I have decided to make an apple traybake to cut into portions and sell - I can use a couple of the Red Devils for that. I also took one home with me to cook with so I could see how it turned out. They go mushy like bramleys once cooked, so I will grate some to go into the cake batter, and put raw slices on the top before it goes in the oven. I'm also entering a minty mocha fudge cake into the Best Cake competition which we are also having as part of it! So I'll be having a busy couple of evenings. I have wanted to take part in a Macmillan coffee morning for so long that it's a bit of a bucket list item for me.

Sorry to go ever so slightly off topic, as you were!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:54 pm

´Scuse my ignorance - but what is a "Macmillan" coffee morning? Is there also an "Asquith" one, or a " Churchill" one?

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Clive - it's a Macmillan Cancer coffee morning where folk come along & donate money to have a tea/coffee & a home made slice or two of cake from an array baked by volunteers - all money raised goes to the excellent Macmillan Cancer Support or a nominated hospice. It's a brilliant way to generate funds.

Loved your Asquith & Churchill train of thought :lol: perhaps someone should start one up!

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Good on that woman Strictly...….. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:14 pm

mark111757 wrote:Talking of dates, here is something from the new sainsbury's magazine

I like the look of that recipe Mark - especially as it doesn't use too much sugar which could probably be reduced even more with the sweetness of the dates :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:14 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:
...[clip]...

They [Red Devil apples] go mushy like bramleys once cooked, so I will grate some to go into the cake batter, and put raw slices on the top before it goes in the oven.

Will the topping slices sink in? I'm wondering if the slices might go dry if not sprinkled with brown melty sugar or some such? I tend to think of apples either under or in rather than over (unless upside down sort) but I'm sure you've got it covered.

Wishing you well that both bakes "fly off the shelf" as they say :thumbsup

Re the origin of the name of MacMillan, I just had to check and seemingly the charity is named after a Mr Douglas MacMillan in 1911 whose dad died from cancer. The charity is huge and well funded (by public donation) now.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi jeral

The cake is now made, and yes, the slices do look as though they've dried out a little, but they didn't sink down. The recipe told you to slice all the apples, which is what I did in the end, you spread half of the cake batter in the tin, then top with a layer of apples, and repeat.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi LusciousLush

Thank you for your support, and explaining the coffee morning so warmly and eloquently for those who weren't familiar with the event. I went along today twice, once to deliver my goodies and once to buy something. There was a lovely buzz in the room and it was quite busy when I was there the second time. When I was delivering my cakes, I had a lovely encounter with one of our amazing students who obviously had a fascination with other people's bags. He took my arm and wanted to hold my bag but not his own, bless him! Luckily his support worker was there to assist both of us.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox