Register

Dessert apple & date turnovers - "lift the dish"?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Dessert apple & date turnovers - "lift the dish"?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Karakoolaide & Jeral,

A Hawaiian Macademia Nut is quite similar in texture to a Brazil Nut .. However, they have their nuances .. They are quite a bit milder and semi sweet .. Whereas, the Brazil Nut, possesses a slightly bitter element but are extremely exquisite ..

Macademias are used in pies .. and icecream making .. and liquors.

Brazil nuts are "snacks " or pick me ups as they contain a tremendous amount of minerals, and they are very high energy producing for both the brain and body .. Sportsmen, and sportswomen snack on them for better performance .. I eat 10 for breakfast every morning ..

And if you snack on them at night, you might be up all night !

I could eat a 200 grams of them by myself literally .. Grand fan ..

Have a nice weekend .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:

I haven't seen an Eccles cake for years - certainly not in these them parts...…….

I went to Eccles Grammar School and don't recall ever seeing an Eccles cake in any of the bakers!

Postby Rainbow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:19 am

Macadamia trees are indigenous to Australia and were taken to Hawaii to act as a windbreak for sugar cane. They then planted large amounts to harvest for the nuts.
Australia was the largest producer, but according to Wiki South Africa overtook us a few years ago.

They certainly taste good but are expensive here, despite being a native nut!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 am

I find macadamia nuts a bit rich
I sometimes think you can grow anything in South Africa. I brought back loads of pecans

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:29 am

I love Eccles cakes. I make a cocktail version using ready made all butter puff pastry and the filling recipe from Nose to Tail :yum

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:41 am

Pampy wrote:I went to Eccles Grammar School and don't recall ever seeing an Eccles cake in any of the bakers!

They must have sent them all down to Swansea Pampy - there were loads of them in the bakers there when I was growing up! :yum

Stokey Sue wrote:I sometimes think you can grow anything in South Africa. I brought back loads of pecans

You know what I'm thinking right...….?!?!

Where did you keep them? :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:58 am

Lush see Hello Autumn thread, put short answer freezer if for more than a few weeks

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I sometimes think you can grow anything in South Africa. I brought back loads of pecans

Lusciouslush wrote:...[clip]...
You know what I'm thinking right...….?!?!

Where did you keep them? :D

Crikey, I must have criminal tendencies as I thought you were thinking there might be a front-door key hidden under the entry doormat... ;)

Thanks all for macademia nut description and Rainbow for origin info.

I also love Brazil nuts but cut down on them in case addiction put me in danger of overdosing on selenium (SE in the periodic table). Everything in moderation it seems.

Postby kavey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:19 pm

I love apples and dates, but dates aren't as concentrated bursts of flavour as things like raisins / sultanas so I would add something else too.
Firstly, I always use brown sugars in apple pies and crumbles etc as it adds caramel notes to flavours.
I love blackberries with apple, so if they're in season, that's my go to addition, I prefer it to raisins etc.
If you want flavour rather than sweetness, blueberries may be interesting, not tried it.
Or if you want to pep up flavour with a sauce rather than adding other fruits or spices, how about salted caramel? ALL THE YUM!

Postby mark111757 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 pm

This turned up on my newsfeed on Facebook....

IMG_20180919_150608_543.JPG
IMG_20180919_150608_543.JPG (302.27 KiB) Viewed 7773 times

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 pm

What’s interesting about that mark is that a UK list would be very different, though the US and UK lists are getting more similar I think - Fuji, Pink Lady (yuk), Gala, Braeburn

For example, the McIntosh is almost unknown over here, but your list does not include our most popular apple, the Cox’s Orange Pippin

Or any of the early season apples I have bought in the last month - Discovery, Saturn, Worcester Early, Cripps Red - of which Saturn is the only mainstream commercial apple. :balls

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 am

I remember from my days of a Saturday job in a greengrocers when I was at school that we sold Mackintosh Reds - haven't seen them for many a year though.
I grow James Grieve which is both a dessert and eating cooking apple. It's particularly suitable for cold, northern UK climates. It's incredibly resilient - every year, I chop it down (initially intending to get rid of it) and every year it repays me with a couple of kilos of lovely apples!
Last edited by Pampy on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:30 am

Pampy, what is the difference between a dessert and an eating apple? I always thought they were the same thing

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Oops - sorry, meant a dessert and cooking apple. Will edit the post.
Last edited by Pampy on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 pm

That was a possible explanation Pampy!
Dad grew James Greive and we had Charles Ross up the road - all these gents whose apples are named after them - Cox and Cripps too of course

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:13 am

Red delicious.
They may be red, but they´re definitely not delicious. They´re tasteless and mealy. Yuk.
We used to get Cox´s Orange Pippins in Kent - and we wrapped them in newspaper, and left them in the outhouse, from Sept-Oct until Christmas. They were just fine for the 25th!
Nor am I a fan of the bland " Golden deeleecious" . Rubbish apples!
Our cooking apples used to weigh about a pound each. Huge, tart monsters, to be dipped in sugar or used in apple pie.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 am

Hi KKA

I completely agree with you regarding the red and green delicious apples. They are both pretty boring in my view

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 am

We had a James Grieve in a previous garden many moons ago - the most moth-eaten & gnarled looking tree you ever saw but produced a wonderful crop of apples - I haven't seen any JG's in a long time - I'll have to nick some of yours Pampy!

Postby Pampy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 am

When I was young, we lived in a house which was at the back of a very grand house and grounds which had been taken over as a research facility by what was then the Coal Board (apropos of nothing - Dr Jacob Bronowski ("The Ascent of Man") worked there). Because it had previously been a private residence, the grounds were planted with several baking apple and pear trees. My siblings and I used to make regular trips "over the wall" to pick the fruit. The baking apples were always absolutely huge, tart and quite a darkish green. They made the most wonderful pies - you got a real taste of the apples rather than just sweetness from sugar.
I've never liked the red/golden delicious apples - they have very little taste and I dislike the "mouth feel" - a bit like cotton wool.
Lush - you're welcome to some apples!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox