Register

Posh Ingredients

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Posh Ingredients

Postby Renee » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 am

Luca, how lovely to have those hand-written recipes from your mother and her mother. That's really special. I can remember belly pork and pork liver being used. I hope that you can find the recipe.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:56 am

My workplace has a farm on it as part of the college. This year for the first time after a lengthy absence, They have been rearing lamb for meat consumption. Guess who's ordered half a lamb? Yup, that's right, me! It is from a small flock which has been reared with a lot of love so it should be a feast however we have it. There will be 2 each half legs and shoulder joints, chops, cutlets, fillet and mince. We cannot wait to try it and I will receive it tomorrow afternoon. We've already decided to save a joint for C-word now our new freezer has been delivered and is freezing away nicely!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 am

Nice memory lane there Luca.
Although I've got nothing personal of my mum's, my middle sister acquired everything.
So I just go to her house and see and feel her things.
She mentioned there was a sewing machine she never touches, so I'll bring that back with me after a visit at new year.

I must look up coarse pate too. I love it.

I have a friend who eats the parsons nose. No thanks! I'll "parse".

Postby Renee » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:26 am

How lovely, Strictly! You will need plenty of freezer space for all of that and isn't it exciting to have a new freezer!

My grandmother liked the parsons nose, Gill! :shock:

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am

there are ears everywhere hopefully not alongside those trays though.

There were various piggy bits too, including heads, so yes, there were ears.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:24 am

Sounds like the lamb should be great ssc! Enjoy

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:23 pm

Renee wrote:My grandmother liked the parsons nose, :shock:

So do I Renee.......... :yum

I'm a big fan of offal - love stuffed heart, liver, kidneys etc. & still jealously guarding geisers in the freezer from when we last went to France, draw the line at andouillette tho'!

Pigs ears make a lovely tapas!

Postby jeral » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:41 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:...[clip]...
Guess who's ordered half a lamb?

Coo, loadsagrub and a sparkling new freezer, Congrats on your new arrivals.

I have an easy baked lamb pilaff recipe that goes down well, equally so without the meat for me. It uses cooked lamb so is very good for leftovers since cold lamb isn't that versatile. I'll see if I can find it if you're interested.

It includes walnuts which are becoming posh given the price of nuts.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:41 pm

There's quite a nice recipe called Suleiman's pilaff in The Pauper's Cookbook by Jocasta Innes. It too uses leftover lamb. :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Suleiman's pilaff also features in Elizabeth David's Salt Spice and Aromatics in the English Kitchen

Not sure if it's the same recipe, I never bought the Pauper's Cookbook as there seemed to be a copy or two in every shared house I lived in for many uears, but Iknow I cook some of the recipes

Postby Luca » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:So do I Renee.......... :yum

I'm a big fan of offal - love stuffed heart, liver, kidneys etc. & still jealously guarding geisers in the freezer from when we last went to France, draw the line at andouillette tho'!

Pigs ears make a lovely tapas!

I bet the pigs ears are tasty Lush! I miss gesiers. Might have to place a French order soon.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:41 pm

I've got two copies of The Pauper's Cookbook. I lost my original copy, bought a new (later) edition, then found the original (of course). I thought I had talked my mum into buying a copy of Salt, Spices & Aromatics but was mistaken, so am in no position to compare the recipes.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 am

jeral wrote:Coo, loadsagrub and a sparkling new freezer, Congrats on your new arrivals.

I have an easy baked lamb pilaff recipe that goes down well, equally so without the meat for me. It uses cooked lamb so is very good for leftovers since cold lamb isn't that versatile. I'll see if I can find it if you're interested.

It includes walnuts which are becoming posh given the price of nuts.

Hi jeral

Thank you for your kind offer, but I have had plenty of inspiration thanks to the Good Food magazine's website, and I've also got loads of lamb recipes in my vast cookbook collection! The freezer is great because it has got 3 drawers in (very important as my legs aren't very flexible!). The old one had 2 shelves and a pull out basket. In recent years I've got a bit fed up with playing lucky dip every time I needed to get something out from the top 2 shelves! :lol:

We will be having some of the cutlets tonight with boiled potatoes and some veg from the garden.

Postby jeral » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Good to hear that you have already a few leftovers recipes and I suspect some known favourites among them :thumbsup

I know what you mean about freezer shelves vs drawers and bending down (or in my case getting up again lol). Your new one should make life much easier :)

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:58 am

Morning jeral

Yes, the freezer drawers do make a huge difference! It is a joy to get things in and out of it now.

The lamb duly arrived yesterday afternoon. I also had a lovely chat with the farm manager who delivered it to the office I work in as well. Basically the lamb is additive free and raised naturally, the only thing stopping it from being organic is lack of certification from the Soil Association.

Some of the cutlets didn't make it into the freezer because we were desperate to try some. My goodness, the flavour is so beautiful, I just pan fried them au naturel, just to see what the basic flavour was like. Believe me, it is anything but basic! I am really looking forward to using the rest now.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:13 am

Excellent result, Strictly.
I shared a half mutton delivery with a friend in Bristol. I thought it would be strong.
Not a bit of it.
We were so pleased with the excellence of the meat. The taste was an eye opener.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 am

Sounds great Clare!

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 pm

strictlyalsaclare, I'm highly dubious about Soil Association accreditation because it's based on payment of membership fees and self certification (or was last time I read up on it). There's absolutely no official rule that I know of - I'll stand corrected if there is) that says that something can only be described as organic (assuming other legal requirements have been met) if the Soil Association rubber stamps it, hence no big supermarkets are members.

That aside, I didn't expect for a minute you'd be disappointed with your purchase, so only one thing to do now, Enjoy!!!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am

Afaik, within the EU, any claim of 'organic' produce must meet certain criteria, and be assessed against those criteria by accredited bodies, in order to be legally sold.

In the UK, the Soil Association is one of a number of accredited bodies. Others include UK Organic Farmers and Growers, and the Biodynamic Association.

Any food sold as organic ought to have the EU organic symbol, a green leaf with stars on it. They might also carry the symbol of the accrediting body. So some supermarket produce might be SA accredited, I suppose, but it doesn't have to be.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:05 am

jeral wrote:strictlyalsaclare, I'm highly dubious about Soil Association accreditation because it's based on payment of membership fees and self certification (or was last time I read up on it). There's absolutely no official rule that I know of - I'll stand corrected if there is) that says that something can only be described as organic (assuming other legal requirements have been met) if the Soil Association rubber stamps it, hence no big supermarkets are members.

That aside, I didn't expect for a minute you'd be disappointed with your purchase, so only one thing to do now, Enjoy!!!

I think the rules are pretty clear
https://www.soilassociation.org/organic-standards/

There is no reason for supermarkets to be registered or accredited, the certification is for each producer or even product so the process is complete and the logo applied by the time the food gets to the wholesaler, let alone the retailer

Like all old gits with a chemistry background I’m still annoyed that 40 years ago they chose Organic as the name for this category of produce. The word was already fully employed working to define a major branch of chemistry (carbon based)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox