Register

Posh Ingredients

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Posh Ingredients

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:38 am

You get wonderful sea prawns in South Africa, called Mozambique prawns, as big as langoustines but quite different, more meat, possibly the same as Clive’s though I don’t remember them being that dark

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:44 am

Sue,

Good Morning,

The Mozambique prawns are a marvel ! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I had them in Casçais, Portugal .. They are a gorgeous tone of coral rose ..

Thank you for mentioning .. and have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Uschi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:49 pm

Gill, I still have enough for a Sunday meal for two in the freezer. Aldi had some great offers this spring. And enough breakage and skins for making a lovely soup.

Cabbage wrapped? Was the cabbage wrapped or do you mean cabbage parcels?
The latter are delicious!!!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:34 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Are chocolate clams just a name for clams? It is shellfish right?

Yes, Gill. They´re not chocolately at all; it´s because the shell is chocolate -coloured. The flavour is simply out of this world. Make oysters sound like Margate winkles.
As for the prawns - I´ve never seen them again. What a dreadful shame, because they were glorious.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:41 am

What's considered posh certainly depends upon context, the old story about oysters once being a cheap food for the poor in London being an example, but it was true in the US too and is still the case in Trinidad.

Many years ago, my then girlfriend brought a lobster back from the Scilly Isles for me. I foolishly mentioned that I like crab (because of the dark meat) even more. Luckily she forgave me, although now (as Mrs B) she still reminds me of it... :oops:

I've never quite got the enthusiasm for foie gras. My parents were dead against it - produced by the cruel French and eaten by callous toffs it never stood a chance. I took the view that I shouldn't criticise until I had tried it. I've had the stuff a number of ways now, including as it comes, accompanied with sweet wine, but have to admit it's not my favourite way of eating poultry liver. The Fergus Henderson recipe for giblet stew contains foie gras. That's the only recipe for giblet stew I've ever seen published, although my dad taught me the family version almost 50 years ago but of course that ingredient was missing from our one.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:13 am

Very true, Badgers.
Some things become so fashionable, and go out of favour when the fad wears off. Others stand the test of time.

I've never been troubled by foie gras, but do get twitchy about veal.
I can eat it, but do check myself mentally for its bad history.

Crab meat?
I trotted off to the local fish shack at a Devon seaside idyll, for a crab sandwich for Tony, & a prawn one for me. To be enjoyed in the sunshine overlooking the boats in the creek.
And came back with the more expensive all white meat with a squeeze of lemon for him. Oh the disappointment it wasn't dark meat.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 pm

Karakoolaide,

Baja Seafood Candy ( Baja Chocolate Clams, The Sea of Cortéz, Mexico ) .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

These are quite a delicacy and are indigenous to the Baja California West Coast ( Pacific ) and The Magdalena Straits ..

Haven´t been to Baja California, Mexico in quite a number of years, however, I shall never forget these amazingly astonishing clams. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

They café au lait shell and the impressive clam flesh .. Definitely a delicacy !!

Thank you for mentioning !!! They are called "Seafood Candy" by 3 well known Chefs in Mexico: Roberto Cardazzo, Richard Blais & Richard Bayless ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby mark111757 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:44 am

Only place I have seen giblets used is turkey gravy. If I had a bucket list, foie gras is on it. As far as posh, Parma ham or San Danielle work. A tube of liquid glucose
As far as a recipe the nicoise stuffed baguette aka posh tuna fish Sammici am site the list can go.on and on

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:24 am

I ate them in the Mercado San Miguel in the centre of Mexico City. They were very fresh - had just arrived from the North. They were served with fresh lemon and a finely chopped salsa of red onion, cilantro and green serrano chiles.

Incidentally,
They are called "Seafood Candy" by 3 well known Chefs in Mexico: Roberto Cardazzo, Richard Blais & Richard Bayless ..

Roberto Cardazzo is from Italy, and Blais and Rick Bayless are both American - whilst they all work with Mexican ingredients, I think it´s only Cardazzo who actually has a restaurant in Mexico. Seafood Candy must be one of their pet names. In Mexico they´re known as Almejas Chocolatas, exclusively from Baja California.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 am

Karakoolaide, ( Seafood Candy = Carte Nick Name ) ..

Yes, Roberto is definitely Italian .. The other 2 Chefs, Blais and Bayless, own several restaurants .. Perhaps, Bayless closed a restaurant in Mexico. He has more than one restaurant, for sure, or did ..

Yes, these Chocolate Clams were amazing !! Truly incredible. We ate them in Cabo de San Luca, Bajo California .. :clap :clap :clap

We liked them right off the half shell .. They were so fresh, we remember the aromas of the sea .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

We must of chow downed 3 dozen .. :D :D :

Have a lovely day ahead ..

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 am

Karakoolaide, ( Seafood Candy = Carte Nick Name ) ..

Yes, Roberto is definitely Italian .. The other 2 Chefs, Blais and Bayless, own several restaurants .. Perhaps, Bayless closed a restaurant in Mexico. He has more than one restaurant, for sure, or did ..

Yes, these Chocolate Clams were amazing !! Truly incredible. We ate them in Cabo de San Luca, Bajo California .. :clap :clap :clap

We liked them right off the half shell .. They were so fresh, we remember the aromas of the sea .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

We must of chow downed 3 dozen .. :D :D :

Have a lovely day ahead ..

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am

Clive, if ever we get to do our dream holiday to the Americas, North Central and South, I shall look out for the clams.
I do so love a foodie "project".

Mark, in France, you get giblet salads wherever you go.
Absolutely lovely. And I'm an expert offal dodger!

Postby Renee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:18 am

Something to do with giblets or made from them was being offered on a French market. I didn't bother!

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:38 am

Gésiers confits (gizzards salted and cooked in duck or goose fat) are quite common I think. They're sold in jars and can be reheated and poured over green leaves to make a wilted salad, not unlike the bacon/dandelion one. Our local French restaurant used to deglaze the pan with a splash of raspberry vinegar when they did them.

Eels are posh if they're smoked, dead common if they're jellied or stewed with liquor and fair game for all socioeconomic groups of British society if stir fried in black bean sauce or served raw on rice. Absolutely delicious all ways though :thumbsup

Another lovely fish is halibut. I've had smoked halibut a few times, including for breakfast at a very posh place. If you get the chance to try smoked halibut please give it a go. I'm particularly fond of the one from Gigha.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Going back to the original post, some of the most memorable dishes in GBM have been when they've taken ordinary ingredients and elevated them to the stratosphere. When I see lobster being used, in a way it seems a cheat - I saw that episode, tonka and yuzu together in one dish made me laugh at the blatant fashionista-ishness of it. And they both opted for lobster.

With my budget, most stuff on the meat/fish counters is now posh. Pass on salted gizzards though, even if they gave them away - no amount of raspberry vinegar would perk it up for me!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:20 pm

There is a big difference between geziers and giblets. The later being all the "edible" insides of a fowl. Geziers on the other hand are just the crop and. as BM says utterly delicious. Not chewy, smelly or nasty textured. In the south West of france they do all sorts of divine salads and starters with them.

I can buy reasonably good ones and, at this time of year make a salad withwalnuts oil dressed leaves and few chopped walnuts and some sliced fresh peaches or figs. La wter in the year same dressing with perhaps some blue cheese, more walnuts, sliced pears and some garlic crutons. Great starter or lunch dish.

I wouldn't call them posh though - just delicios!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Yes, in conventional shops there are not many opportunities to buy giblets in the UK these days, other than pots of chicken livers. Gésiers are available in jars sometimes, otherwise chicken feet from Chinese grocers, to borrow from another thread.

If I'm intending to make a giblet stew, the giblets are saved from poultry purchased during the year. Livers are kept separate for other purposes (great in a bacon sandwich :yum ), so the remainder is typically neck, crop & heart. I often add wingtips.

I could probably get more if I asked nicely at the famers' market.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:40 pm

Many years ago if I bought a dressed chicken from my lovely butcher it often came with multiple sets of giblets - so many people wouldn't take them, those of us he trusted not to waste them would get as many as were on the side of the block

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:47 pm

It's increasingly difficult to get them. :(

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:[i]...[clip]...
If you get the chance to try smoked halibut please give it a go. I'm particularly fond of the one from Gigha.

Is that the Scottish island one you told us about? In this thread, posh would be being able to afford the National Rail train fare to get there ;)

Must see whether those Cornish Martin's online folks (or ANO) do it...

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox