Register

From the coupon section of this past weekends paper

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

From the coupon section of this past weekends paper

Postby mark111757 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Saw this

IMG_20180829_133801_636.JPG
IMG_20180829_133801_636.JPG (827.4 KiB) Viewed 4416 times

9.49$ for 454 g or £7.29 ( this is based on 1us$ = £.76)

Being on disability I simply cannot afford to look at this.for those the can go for it.

This seemed priced more like for donald russell customers. And sdomebpeople will swear by it. It was demo'ed at the store before I left. It might have been more beefy in flavour.

Re: From the coupon section of this past weekends paper

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Mark,

In Spain, one kilo of ground beef runs between six & seven Euros, grass fed, bio / ecological .. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So, 454 grams is almost $ 10 Usd. and 908 Grams would be approx. $ 20 Usd !

Pricey !! :shock:

And, the Usa is big cattle country .. So, this is interesting .. How much is Sustainable Grass fed beef (not organic ) without hormones ?

Thank you for posting .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:27 am

The nearest equivalent would probably be Waitrose Duchy Organic Lean Beef mince, £4.30 for 400g , but you can get 2 0 packs for £7, so the US example is far more expensive

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Waitrose-Duchy-Organic-British-Lean-Beef-Mince-typically-10-Fat/73575011?ULP_CAMPAIGN_ID=52&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuz-7KOT3QIVxbHtCh0HMwOXEAQYAiABEgKtovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPKIifyjk90CFa2iUQodK38Jig

You could certainly pay more at Donald Russell or Whole Foods Market, though WFM occasionally have good offers on meat

At the other end of the scale Waitrose Essential Beef mince is £5.50 /kg, which is probably about what the High Street butcher would charge or just a little less

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/essential-waitrose-british-beef-mince-15-fat/601914-357406-357407?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysmF9KWT3QIVS77tCh0YogBuEAQYASABEgK1N_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIP64fqlk90CFQk-GwodfHAPPw

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:30 am

If sold as mince, I don't see how anyone could notice a difference in flavour of a burger once dressings like pickles, greens and sauces have been added, nor a stew to which loads of flavours are added. A burger might even be a touch (or a lot) dry if 85% lean.

I would also want to know more about what I'd be paying for re "grass fed" (I know nothing incidentally as the term "outdoor reared" is the usual one here.) I read that grass alone is insufficient nourishment so other grains/oils must presumably be used as well. Perhaps there's a minimum content of grass in feed to allow it to be labelled "grass fed"? Also, presumably grass could be mown and the cuttings added to cows' feed even though they're kept in sheds. Dunno.

Pricey meat is only for those with fat wallets though, as there surely wouldn't be enough to go around if all beef eaters demanded it, by a long stretch.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:53 am

There´s no such thing as "lean" beef here. At least 30% fat, according to my sources.
People over here want to taste the fat!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:06 am

outdoor reared is pork, meaning the piglets and the sows spend time outside not bred in enclosed barns. Grass fed beef is different, meaning cows allowed to graze on grass in fields, though I think you are right that there is some limit on the amount of supplementary feed. The Duchy beef is described as free range, so allowed to graze in fields. Grass fed beef grows more slowly than livestock completely fed on grain etc. so has more flavour in theory.

I’d think 15% - 20 % fat about right for a burger, but I wouldn’t generally use butchers mince to make a burger. I’d either buy good ones made or start with whole cuts, the ones I buy are 20% fat

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:46 pm

It's hard to think of cows, pigs and sheep being mistreated the way that battery hens are, and to me there's always that idea that the beef on my table came from a cow that was wandering round a grassy field chewing its cud contentedly.

Sadly when you see pictures like this (sunny California), you realise that it may not be quite as starry-eyed as you suppose, and grass may not actually be involved. Remember Mad Cow Disease, allegedly caused because cow feed included brain and spinal cord material, converting vegetarian cows into cannibals?

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Sakkarin,

It is a true catastrophe the way in which some ranchers / farmers abuse their livestock worldwide ..

Now a days, our family as a whole, eat very very little red meat, and when we do, we purchase from very tiny boutique farms or our exemplary butchers, who are dear family friends.

It is a horrendous sin to treat animals the way they are being abused and tormented in the photography posted. :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Saddens me terribly.

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby mark111757 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 pm

There is a section of the public that would buy products that are organic or cage free or sustainable, to show off the fact it is a word and to make them feel good or better Bout themselves. As was described to me once, a touchy/feely feel good situation. I am sure there are people who seriously believe in that but it seems like there is a higher number who do it for for show only.

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:33 pm

mark111757 wrote:There is a section of the public that would buy products that are organic or cage free or sustainable, to show off the fact it is a word and to make them feel good or better Bout themselves. As was described to me once, a touchy/feely feel good situation. I am sure there are people who seriously believe in that but it seems like there is a higher number who do it for for show only.

That's true, although where animal welfare is concerned the animals will, or should be, treated better = doing the right thing for the wrong reason?

Others are prepared to pay more (and eat less of it maybe) hoping the item's guaranteed to be good, fresh, and no scraggy waste bits; welfare irrelevant.

I read (urged on by Stokey Sue's info) a statistic that 100% of cows were grass fed for up to 12 months, then 97% was sent to "feed-lots" (fed hormones and grain for fast growth). No wonder the remaining 3% is dear if that stat is even vaguely indicative.

My argument is that cows etc should be treated better and we should all get better wages/pensions so everyone can afford it :)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox