Register

The lining of the stomach

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The lining of the stomach

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:08 am

The last time I had a colonoscopy was about 4yrs ago - I'd told the same gastro guy that did it about 4yrs previously that I'd had a torrid time of it - felt every single push he made & was drenched in sweat ( I know too much info!), this last time they gave me so much sedation it knocked me out - woke up in the recovery room with him asking me what I remembered :o !!!!!!
I'd still like to know what happened!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 am

Elisa said in France they use sedation. You'd be grand over there.
I had a nurse holding my hand and talking to me. Far too much touching going on, it felt claustrophobic.

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:20 pm

I've had a colonoscopy too, and being a professional coward, they sedated me to the hilt! I'm of the opinion that doctors can do what they want to me (within reason!) as long as I've been knocked out! Not always a good thing though - I had an angiogram a couple of years ago and I was given my preferred amount of sedation - but when they brought me round my blood pressure dropped off the scale so I ended up nearly upside down in a bed for a few hours - it was probably more unpleasant than the procedure would have been without sedation!

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Ouch, that's awful Pampy and very worrying too.

I've had two colonoscopies and chose not to have sedation, because I live on my own and there would be no-one to stay with me. It was fascinating to watch it on the monitor and I used gas and air when it got painful when it went around a bend. I went home on the bus.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Now see, I didn't see any gas or air & wasn't offered any.....!

I'm quite rufty tufty, but HE insisted on the sedation because if you've had a bad experience ' you tense up' & make his job impossible. Still don't get why I was knocked out tho' - it's not as if I'm a screamer!

Still like to know why he wanted to know what I remembered...…….. :stfu

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Pampy - I have the opposite to you - my blood pressure goes off the richter scale & sends everyone into a panic.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 pm

When I´m at the dentists (which I am rather too frequently), I make them give me double sedation. Otherwise, they can´t work.
Medics would be exactly the same.
I haven´t had a colonoscopy, thank goodness.
I prefer a Prawn Vindaloo. 8-)

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Bad luck, Pampy. Sounds horrible and woozy.

I'm a rock when I go to the dentisht, <<Dribble>>
Until I get chin quiver from the exertion of keeping my mouth wide open.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Still like to know why he wanted to know what I remembered...……..

:shock:

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Oh the chin quiver!!! I'm glad that I'm not the only one!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:19 am

Not had a colonoscopy though I did (and passed) the test you send off in the post this month

I’m fairly good at playing possum while they do evil things, though apparently I go as white as a sheet. Just as well as I have intraocular (eyeball) injections every 10 weeks, no sedation just local anaesthetic - and pre-med that gives me a hangover.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 am

I feel for you, Sue.
Whilst you have to do it, it sounds rotten from my end.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 am

That sounds extremely nasty :-(

I've done two of those postal tests (one at 60, one at 62), I presume they do them every couple of years after you hit 60.

A long time ago I had an episode at the hospital that made me feel queasy (can't remember what, possibly stitches and a tetanus injection?), but left without event. However as I walked across the hospital grounds, it hit home and I passed out momentarily. I recovered in time to do a forward roll to avoid injury, and carried on my way. To anyone seeing it, it would have looked like I'd done an impromptu forward roll for the hell of it!!!

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a picture that conjures up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Luca » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:55 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Pampy - I have the opposite to you - my blood pressure goes off the richter scale & sends everyone into a panic.

Me too Lush and it annoys the heck out of me. I've tried every trick in the book to stay calm and relaxed but no........ When I take my blood pressure myself it's always fine. My SIL who knows a thing or two about this sort of thing did readings for me on her rather smart home use monitor over a long weekend and I gave the surgery the readings which were very good.

"Stand on the machine, insert arm in cuff, when ready insert token here!"

Yup..... Sky high BP and underweight. My BMI is rather low to be sure but that's not something new and never has been for me Grrrrr!

Hope situation improves Gill.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:38 pm

"White Coat Syndrome" it's called where the reading is way too high. I have that too, I take my own readings on a home monitor, but sadly that is rising.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:28 pm

My doc told me that blood pressure goes up with age irrespective of all else, including those with naturally low pressure. I've no idea by how much, assuming the premise itself is accepted of course.
Luckily I don't know what the readings mean so I don't worry, which probably helps keep mine down.

Not laid back re the other end though. I'd recommend demanding a colonoscopy like fast for any dodgy symptom. It took me months of saying "Do something!" before I was sent for one and they had me into hospital for an op within a fortnight! (I was expecting another few months' wait). Thank goodness caught in time for me. Bear in mind that the alternative is worse, however awful the actual test is. Fingers crossed for everyone that they get a negative result.

Postby Luca » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:38 pm

That's the one sakkarin. I think I'm going to have to get myself another BP monitor. Which do you use?

Any recommendations welcome. I'm seizing the moment to get on top of various things both work and health related and it seems like a good investment.

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:47 pm

The best monitor, according to the Which magazine is the
Omron Mk2 Basic and £26 from Argos.

Postby Rainbow » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:05 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Elisa said in France they use sedation. You'd be grand over there.
I had a nurse holding my hand and talking to me. Far too much touching going on, it felt claustrophobic.

I've had several colonoscopies and always had sedation. It was just given - I wasn't asked if I wanted it or not. Maybe I could have objected but I'd much rather be knocked out briefly than be conscious through it!
I thought everyone had sedation until I read this thread. I think it's the normal thing over here in Oz :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox