Register

The lining of the stomach

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The lining of the stomach

Postby Luca » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:31 am

Renee wrote:The best monitor, according to the Which magazine is the
Omron Mk2 Basic and £26 from Argos.

Thanks Renee. I shall have a look in the morning

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:40 am

Jeral - good to hear all turned out well for you - you must have been so worried!

Rainbow - You must know we tend to be masochistic over this side :D

I have a wrist bp monitor which I use now & again - I have a couple of friends who take their bp a couple of times a day - over the top or what?!?!

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:43 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Jeral - good to hear all turned out well for you - you must have been so worried!

Rainbow - You must know we tend to be masochistic over this side :D
...[clip]...

Thanks, I guess in fate terms my number hadn't come up so very lucky and thankful. The months of limbo through no action caused the worry as it's c'est la vie once you know.

Tee hee. Masochistic? I'd say! No mention of any sort of sedative for my ones, but seemingly that's changed now. At least people who read this thread will know it is available now :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:52 am

Hi Luca.
If I have a bp appointment, I make sure it's not done when I am rattled or stressed.
I also give myself 10mins sitting time.

Also, I don't chat.
If the nurse starts gabbing, I will just nod. So that I'm not animated or perky.
Just still.

Look out for a bp monitor in Boots.
They often have them half price. Iv'e got a Boots own brand that cost about £20 reduced from 40. I've just taken mine, 130 over 90.
I think they'd call that OK at the docs, but it's slightly elevated.

Jeral
Great news on your op! :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 am

I work the exact opposite Gill
I chat away so I’m relaxed and not all my attention is fixed on the BP machine, I find this helps
I used to get very high readings at the eye clinic because they had a terrible old machine, and the cuff hurt. When they got a new one my BP magically dropped

Postby Renee » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:27 pm

That's interesting Sue and I do wonder just how accurate their machines are. My doctor uses a manual sphygmomanometer which are supposed to be more accurate.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:56 am

I think the trouble with the old machine was we all used to tense up as we knew it was going to be like being bitten by a pit bull

Postby dennispc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:21 am

Working back through the thread, GP advised an arm BP for me,bought a Braun, £44 from Superdrug. The District Nurses use an Omron.

Blood pressure does increase with age, according to Pharmacist 10 – 20 points on the scale every decade over ? can't remember what age she said, I remember thinking, not long then for me. I've very thin veins, which doesn't help.

Colonoscopies. Yup, they said I'd be sedated though it didn't stop me having a fierce argument with the doctor at the sharp end (as it were) about how much fibre I needed.

Current guidance given to NHS patients about fibre, “… It is not possible to make rules about diet, which suit everyone – an element of trial and error in what we eat is often helpful in finding which fibre suits us best.” www.corecharity.org.uk, undated.

The Guardian article – although it's mainly about gluten, somewhere near the end it mentions fibre and IBS.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... out-gluten

aka dennispc

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox