Register

Sêmola com Amêjoas: Semolina Pearls & Clams

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Sêmola com Amêjoas: Semolina Pearls & Clams

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Semolina Pearls & Fresh Clams .. Lisbon .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Fregola con le arselle, is a recipe from the island of Sardinia, where an indigenious clam (arselle) variety is used.

However, using any variety of local "vongole or clams" are often netted throughout the Southern Mediterranean and Portuguese Coast for this dish ..

This fregola, made from 100% sustainble semolina is a prized ingredient of Sardinia and it always made by hand, in authentic tradition ..

Fegola has a unique pasta shape, and looks like " pearls " or couscous verses common varieties of pasta ..

This was our lunch in Lisbon today at an Italian Restaurant:

Fregola con Vongole ..

1 Kilo of fresh clams
4 tblsps of Italian Evoo
150 ml. Dry White Wine ( Italian or Portuguese )
1 hand full of fresh parsley finely chopped
250 grams of Fregola ( purchased from Italy or hand made )
200 grams of Tomato Paste from San Marzano Tomatoes called Passata
Fine sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to Taste

Recipe:

1) Place the clams in cold salted wáter for one hour and then drain and rinse thoroughly to remove all sand particles under cold running water ..
2) Place 2 tblsps of Evoo in a large skillet and set over a low to médium heat. When hot, add the clams and pour in the wine and cook for approx. 3 to 4 minutes.
3) Shake the skillet , to assist the clams in opening up.
4) Shell 3/ 4 of the clams and leave the rest in the Shell for garnishing.
5) Now, strain the cooking liquid in a sieve, through a muslin or a fine sieve and reserve.
6) Place remaining Evoo with the garlic in a large saucepan and add the parsley and let it infuse with the oil for a couple of minutes. Now stir in the Fregola pearls, and toast them for 1 minute, stirring often and then pour the tomato paste and the liquid from the clams ..
7) Continue cooking the fregola until tender however, " al dente " ..
8) Season to taste with Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
9) Now stir in the shelled clams and cook with the Fregola pearls for 2 minutes. Serve right away with top the dish with the shelled clams ..

Have a wonderful evening .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Thank you Donna Necchia .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Sêmola com Amêjoas: Semolina Pearls & Clams

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:54 pm

A lovely recipe Member 461 and I'm glad that you enjoyed your lunch! Unfortunately I've never seen fresh clams over here. I'm sure that Fregola was discussed here some time ago.

Update:

Here's the thread from 2017. You will need to scroll down.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2116&p=53169&hilit=Fregola#p53169

Another update! :thumbsup :thumbsup Nigel Slates likes to use Fregola!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... la-recipes

Re: Sêmola com Amêjoas: Semolina Pearls & Clams

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Firstly, thank you so much for Chef Slater´s Fregola, fennel and orange salad récipe .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definitely exquisite ! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

And yes, I have had fregola pearls on numerous occasions and it is simply lovely. Works wonderfully with Clams & tomatoes, Fennel & Orange, amongst numerous other Mediterranean ingredients ..

It was truly lovely with clams ..

The only thing I would have used fresh tomatoes and created a home made " paste " or passata .. and combined them ..

None the less, it was exceptionally lovely and light ..

All my best for a lovely lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox