Register

How to tell the difference between strong and plain flour?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

How to tell the difference between strong and plain flour?

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:26 pm

NO I DON'T MEAN READ THE LABEL...

Oh dear, a few week back I put some flour into a plastic tub so it would keep better (I usually just keep it in its original paper bag), but I forget whether it was strong or ordinary flour. I still have a normal bag of both in the cupboard, so the absence of one or the other doesn't provide a clue.

Here's my question: is there any way of identifying which I have in the tub? Maybe if I do a small test sample of each with water added there may be a difference in pliability.

I have a feeling it was strong flour, as I was testing how many cupfuls my "goto" bread recipe takes of water and flour a few weeks back, which may have been the point I dug out the tub.

Re: How to tell the difference between strong and plain flou

Postby Renee » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Just wondering if there is a slight difference in colour between the two?

Re: How to tell the difference between strong and plain flou

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:10 pm

Sakkarin, :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

There are differences in the texture both as a product and as the baked goods created from the this product ..

Place on a wooden "Butcher Block " or similar cutting board to check ..

Plain flour = All Purpose: The key difference is the texture and color, snow white and very fine and light very powdery or dusty texture .. 11% protein ..

Strong flour = Bread Flour: The key differences are the 14 % protein (gluten), it is heavier and much densier in texture and the color is less than a snowy white, has "an off white" or "antique white" tone ..

Not as light and dusty or powdery fine ..

You can also add a couple of drops of water to this product and you shall know from the texture difference ..

Good Luck and have a lovely summer .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox