Register

Seeking Perfection: Fresh Genovese Basil Butter

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Seeking Perfection: Fresh Genovese Basil Butter

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Good Morning,

Does any one here, créate their own Herb Butters ? :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Both Genovese Basil and Freshly grown Spearmint are two of my fave ways to produce a fragrant and lovely "compound butter" ..

Something magical seems to happen and they are both wonderful for fresh fish, risotto and even a grilled cheese sándwich or just dipping into some amazingly freshly baked bread from the Bakery ..

And / or for sauté-ing and can be most versatile and prepared with any herb or spices of your choice.

Here goes:

Herb Butter:

1 / 2 Cup loosely packed leaves of choice
250 grams of French butter of Asturias Butter ( or butter of your choice )

1) Pulse the room temperature butter with the herb(s) of choice in a food processor or with a good Stand Up Stick Mixer until well combined and let set in refrig or freezer until firm wrapped in wax paper.

Note: Strain any liquid from the frozen butter and let sit until tender for spreading ..

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Seeking Perfection: Fresh Genovese Basil Butter

Postby Renee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:29 am

The basil butter will be lovely with fish, Member 461. I have made parsley butter in the past to go with fish. Do you ever add a small amount of lemon juice to the butters? I seem to remember doing this when I made parsley butter.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 am

Renée,

Thank you for your feed back ..

I have not added lemon to my butter as I drizzle lemon on my fish and chicken breasts ..

However, I shall give it a try ! Thank you for the suggestion .. :lol: :lol:

Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Season: I shall be in Portugal most of July and have been in Portugal all of June ! :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:09 pm

I used to make herb butters and freeze them, mainly parsley + garlic,but my cooking style has changed and I don't really use them

Just come back from Campania, the region around Naples in Italy. The basil growing on the roof there was incredible, so strong, almost like a different herb compared to Genovese basil grown here, though home grown is more pungent than supermarket stuff

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Sue,

Thank you for your feedback .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes the garlic ..

That is what I thoought was missing !

Napoli or Naples: Basil, is quite common for the Pizza Makers and it is quite a bit warmer and sunnier than Liguria ..

The texture is quite different too ..

Have a lovely summer .. :wave :wave :wave

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox